Injen sp series intake installed - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Understand your point and I was answering the posts/questions about whether or not the OP had done the dyno work....I would have to go back and look at my dyno sheet to see what the AFR was.

I have said it before, there is only so much power that is going to be gained on a NA 4cyl 2.0L engine....the ST is a perfect example; gaining 90 hp with 19-20lbs of boost is not that impressive.

The heat soak discussion has been around since aftermarket companies have constructed intakes and I don't think there has been that much if any temperature differences between IAT's on plastic/metal intakes.

If I could afford it I would love to see an intake shootout via a dyno, same day, same conditions, etc....you see this in the mustang and larger markets but unfortunatley we will never see it on the Focus as it is just not that large of a market and will not get the exposure that the other brands/lines do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #32
cobrajet429
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105085
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue manual SE

FF Reputation: 1 cobrajet429 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BY8U-2a-7w
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
That thing looks a lot better than the stock air box.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Tommyatomic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105916
What I Drive: MK3 FocusHatch 5SPD, '93 RHD WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Tommyatomic Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
I have said it before, there is only so much power that is going to be gained on a NA 4cyl 2.0L engine....the ST is a perfect example; gaining 90 hp with 19-20lbs of boost is not that impressive.
Actually in the case of the ST; gaining 90hp with 20lbs of boost running 87 octane is extremely impressive. It is a damn amazing trick. Clearly you've never seen a turbo'd engine blowup from insufficient octane.

The fact that its tuned to run 19-20lbs of boost on 87octane means that with some plumbing upgrades (like downpipe and catback) and tuned for 94 octane some truely impressive numbers are possible.

Maybe your just not easily impressed.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #35
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry; I am in the mustang community as well and I am just not impressed with 20psi=90hp...guess we will agree to disagree on this....and if you use 87 you lose 9 hp so my ratio is even worse, 20 psi=83 hp.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Tommyatomic
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
Sorry; I am in the mustang community as well and I am just not impressed with 20psi=90hp...guess we will agree to disagree on this....and if you use 87 you lose 9 hp so my ratio is even worse, 20 psi=83 hp.

83hp more hp and your engine still doesnt blowup on 87 octane.

I will concede that in terms of cost benifit ratio 20psi to get 83hp gives a feeling of something lacking.

Having said that; in your mustang community how many people with forced induction (turbo kit or supercharged) run 87 octane?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
Tommyatomic
Focus Enthusiast

My experience with forced induction is from WRX's and STI's.

Properly tuned its reasonable to get roughtly 15hp per 1psi over factory boost with supporting upgrades (plumbing, FMIC) tuning and specific high octane fuel in a subaru. So yeah 20psi and 83HP sucks. BUT on 87 octane it is actually quite amazing.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #38
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you wanna discuss forced induction at length and the HP wars go start another thread... This one is starting to veer off topic. Injen intake talk por favor
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyatomic View Post
83hp more hp and your engine still doesnt blowup on 87 octane.

I will concede that in terms of cost benifit ratio 20psi to get 83hp gives a feeling of something lacking.

Having said that; in your mustang community how many people with forced induction (turbo kit or supercharged) run 87 octane?
No one as that is just stupid....93 or above unless you are in CA where the max octane you can get is 91.

I understand why Ford has done this as they did it before on the 03/04 Cobra's to protect people from themselves as it has been proven time and time again how effin stupid people can be...have a 390hp car that clearly states 93 octane only yet Ford had to take into account the idiot who would put 87 in it, hop in the car and run 120 uphill in 5th gear.

I know people are impressed with the tune on the ST's but a lot of that is with using 93 octane which means you can add more timing which means a lot more power esp on a FI car.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
If you wanna discuss forced induction at length and the HP wars go start another thread... This one is starting to veer off topic. Injen intake talk por favor
Sorry; you posted this as I was typing my response, I will keep it on the Injen topic!

Bookmarks & Social Networks