New SYNC and MFT announced by Ford - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
First quarter 2013.

•Simplified Bluetooth® phone pairing: When pairing, the driver simply has to hit “OK” if the PIN on the phone and touch screen match each other

•More natural voice recognition: Drivers can now simply say “Play <name>” when requesting a specific artist, song, album or genre of music (i.e. “Play jazz” versus “Play genre jazz”)

•Improved voice recognition accuracy: The latest version of Nuance’s speech software, VoCon® 3200 v4.2, improves overall voice recognition performance

•Flattened audio command structure: At any time, drivers can say the station frequency, “AM 760,” or the official name of the Sirius station, like “Hits 1,” to tune in; drivers no longer need to say “Radio” or “Sirius” to indicate their desire to listen to those audio sources

•Simplified navigation controls: The destination entry screen has been improved to help make it easier to enter an address
A lot of this (I haven't tested all of it yet) is in the 3.5.1 update. Auto-pairing, the ability to play Sirius stations by just saying the station name or play a radio station by just saying radio station frequency even when you are already on another audio source are part of 3.5.1. I wasn't able to test out my USB source and the ability to say just say "Play <name>" without saying "album" or "song" or whatever yet because I had to do a reboot last night (to get my Sirius traffic back) and my player was still indexing this morning so no voice commands. I'll test when indexing/BVC are complete.

Since 3.5.1 is still on TSB and no "official" announcement has been made by Ford over at SMR, or anywhere else I can see, I can't help wonder if this is really what they are talking about, or at least forms the base for what they are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
A lot of this (I haven't tested all of it yet) is in the 3.5.1 update. Auto-pairing, the ability to play Sirius stations by just saying the station name or play a radio station by just saying radio station frequency even when you are already on another audio source are part of 3.5.1. I wasn't able to test out my USB source and the ability to say just say "Play <name>" without saying "album" or "song" or whatever yet because I had to do a reboot last night (to get my Sirius traffic back) and my player was still indexing this morning so no voice commands. I'll test when indexing/BVC are complete.

Since 3.5.1 is still on TSB and no "official" announcement has been made by Ford over at SMR, or anywhere else I can see, I can't help wonder if this is really what they are talking about, or at least forms the base for what they are talking about.
^ This! Exactly my thinking as well, I have tested most of the new aspects of 3.5.1 and it does everything mentioned in the article (for the most part anyway... it does have a tendancy to "hang" once and a while). I agree though, this is most likely just the "official" announcement of 3.5.1 (or maybe a "refined" version of it anyway).
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I wonder, has Ford made any commitment to provide Sync and MFT updates to all customers and for how long? Seems to me Ford would be inclined, as many companies would be, to stop providing updates at some point. Obviously the huge problems they've had made it wise to continue to support older cars but is there anything official that says how long this lasts?

Brian
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #24
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
It would be in their best interests to support MFT/SYNC for the time being especially since the new hardware is reported to have similar specs to the 2012/13 models.

Plus that, who wants to invest in a long term committment like a car if they will only provide support for a limited time? Cell phones are one thing, but cars are another.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
I'm done getting excited over new releases. The more Ford changes cosmetically the more underlying stability and reliability problems go unchecked. I for one would be excited if they filled memory leaks, included a reboot option in the menus and wrote in the ability to format and reinstall the entire operating system.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post

3.5 will have wide release for systems without navigation in December, as early as Dec 10.

Vehicles with nav will receive updates in January.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #27
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
3.5 will have wide release for systems without navigation in December, as early as Dec 10.

Vehicles with nav will receive updates in January.
YAY! I can wait until January rather than play Convince the Dealer.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Hi, everyone!

The software discussed in the article is version 3.5 and is exclusive to vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch. Most of you already have this installed, but for those that don't, the update will soon be available on SyncMyRide as a self-install.

Please note, if your vehicle's equipped with navigation, it will require the new SD card (A4) to function. You can see your dealership for this now, otherwise, starting in early January, you'll be able to order the card via www.SyncMyRide.com.

As a way of reinforcing our commitment to you, we're extending the warranty for MyFord Touch software and the SYNC module to a total of five years/unlimited mileage for 2011, 2012 and 2013 models of MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
The software discussed in the article is version 3.5 and is exclusive to vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch.
So those of us with just Sync are sunk? We don't get the improved voice-recognition and the simpler commands?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #30
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Well crap, thanks to an article on Slashdot today I ran into this:
http://www.mirrorlink.com/technology.html

MirrorLink is basically a remote terminal for your phone mounted on the dash or console in the vehicle. The contents of the phone are displayed on and controlled via a remote LCD screen and buttons on the steering wheel, dashboard, and/or console. VNC is used to mirror the display on the phone and handle inputs.

This is exactly what I've been working on in my spare time, I had no knowledge of MirrorLink until today. It stands to reason that somebody, or in this case a consortium of somebodies (including Ford) had already thought of it. A bummer for sure.

The good news is that this is exactly what the consumer and the industry needs, check out the link and I think you'll agree. Know that the list of Mirrorlink enabled smartphones is quite short right now, but I know how to build such a device and make it work with just about any Android phone as long as it's rooted.

I already have a proof of concept built, it even uses VNC just like MirrorLink does and it uses another program for hands free calling called NoHands/HFP which is available on SourceForge.

Now that the cats out of the bag and I don't have a patentable idea anymore maybe I'll start an OpenSource project once I have things working better. There still a few glitches here and there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->