Injen sp series intake installed - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bogey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104241
Location: Calgary, Canada
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

Posts: 516
FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Id buy this for sure over fswerks steeda and k&n, its not using the stock intake pipe.
Bogey is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
indystar
Focus Addict
 
indystar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101011
Location: Changsha, China
What I Drive: Winning Blue Focus MK3 Sport

Posts: 1,357
FF Reputation: 1 indystar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i have looked at this but im skeptical how that little piece of metal can stop heat soak. KN and steeda have put effort into separte the intake "chamber"

but the injen it the best looking by far!
indystar is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bwill9886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93444
Location: Collinsville, IL
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

Posts: 455
FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Id buy this for sure over fswerks steeda and k&n, its not using the stock intake pipe.
I wouldn't base which intake I bought off that considering the gains shown by those with the Steeda and K&N compared to the Injen, but getting rid of the stock tubing sure does look nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indystar View Post
i have looked at this but im skeptical how that little piece of metal can stop heat soak.
It's an appearance piece at best.
Bwill9886 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
StockTalon
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94771
Location: Troy, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,854
FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indystar View Post
i have looked at this but im skeptical how that little piece of metal can stop heat soak. KN and steeda have put effort into separte the intake "chamber"

but the injen it the best looking by far!
Ideally, you would want to run plastic since it wont absorb heat like metal will.
StockTalon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
Tommyatomic
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105916
Location: Vancouver, Canada
What I Drive: MK3 FocusHatch 5SPD, '93 RHD WRX

Posts: 60
FF Reputation: 1 Tommyatomic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTalon View Post
Ideally, you would want to run plastic since it wont absorb heat like metal will.
hot plastic disagrees with you.

Seriously though hot plastic takes longer to dissapate heat than the same shape/amount of hot metal. But metal is a heat transfer medium. Depending on the finish and the coatings (ceramic for instance) metal is heat reflective.

Its possible that your not talking about polycarb, PVC or ABS plastic. Maybe your saying plastic and your actually thinking molded silicon which neither absorbs heat nor transfers heat. I have molded silicon potholders and oven mitts.

Metal vs plastic intake discussions are the stuff of internet boredom.
Tommyatomic is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
StockTalon
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94771
Location: Troy, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,854
FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyatomic View Post
hot plastic disagrees with you.

Seriously though hot plastic takes longer to dissapate heat than the same shape/amount of hot metal. But metal is a heat transfer medium. Depending on the finish and the coatings (ceramic for instance) metal is heat reflective.

Its possible that your not talking about polycarb, PVC or ABS plastic. Maybe your saying plastic and your actually thinking molded silicon which neither absorbs heat nor transfers heat. I have molded silicon potholders and oven mitts.

Metal vs plastic intake discussions are the stuff of internet boredom.
Plastic was more of a blanket material yes. Think, plastic intake manifold and such.
StockTalon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
Tommyatomic
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105916
Location: Vancouver, Canada
What I Drive: MK3 FocusHatch 5SPD, '93 RHD WRX

Posts: 60
FF Reputation: 1 Tommyatomic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTalon View Post
Plastic was more of a blanket material yes. Think, plastic intake manifold and such.
Ah yes the plastic intake manifold. Yeah thats going away as soon as an acceptable bolton aluminum IM option is available.
Tommyatomic is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
StockTalon
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94771
Location: Troy, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,854
FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyatomic View Post
Ah yes the plastic intake manifold. Yeah thats going away as soon as an acceptable bolton aluminum IM option is available.
Cosworth?
StockTalon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #29
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93486
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

Posts: 381
FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have already done the dyno work for the Injen; same dyno, same day, 30 mins in between runs and I swapped the stock setup to the Injen; picked up 8 hp/10tq.

I wanted to go back and dyno the car after the exhaust install but looks like the place I had it done went out of business.
greg hazlett is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #30
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,485
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
I have already done the dyno work for the Injen; same dyno, same day, 30 mins in between runs and I swapped the stock setup to the Injen; picked up 8 hp/10tq.

I wanted to go back and dyno the car after the exhaust install but looks like the place I had it done went out of business.
I don't think anyone is discrediting the fact that Injen makes quality stuff or that their intake will put down numbers... The issue is their claim of being "tuned" and whether there is heat sink issues. The only way to answer those questions is running A/F during dynoing and putting that against another intake, same day/same dyno and real world testing... So, the question is, is that information out there?
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.