2001 Focus ZTS - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Fan4Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104234
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Fan4Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
key lock cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan4Focus View Post
Key lock:

"What is the reccomended mileage interval for changing the key lock cylinder out? What is involved in doing that? Will I have to have the car re-keyed? (hope not, I have 3-4 sets of keys for it now)."

I changed mine out at about 110K due to starting to have some issues with it. It is not that difficult to do and I bought a cylinder that came with instructions how to make it work with the original key and the whole process of replacing the cylinder. Takes a little time to figure out the first time but, hey, now I am a lock smith :-) I will try to find a link to send you to where I found mine.
Here is the one I put in mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Focus-I...sories&vxp=mtr I chose the one with all the plates to key it to my key. Like I said, it was not a big deal. I had to read the instuctions about installing the plates a couple of times before I got it but, if you have a little mechanical apptitude, you will figure it out.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80771
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus Wagon, SE, Silver.

FF Reputation: 0 G Ford Fan Newbie
Quote:
Here is the one I put in mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Focus-I...sories&vxp=mtr I chose the one with all the plates to key it to my key. Like I said, it was not a big deal. I had to read the instuctions about installing the plates a couple of times before I got it but, if you have a little mechanical apptitude, you will figure it out.

Good luck!
Excellent, thanks for the assistance, I appreciate that! I'll look into that.

I saw earlier in this post ford has an updated kit that eliminates this issue, I wonder if the ebay kit is ford or genaric? I also am going to buy the revised PCV hose and change that out too!

I've got a part-throttle surge issue going on and already changed out the DPFE without improvement.

-Greg
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Fan4Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104234
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

Points 122, Level 2
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Fan4Focus Good Standing Member
This is an after market cylinder, not Ford. Mine has been on for 2 years with no issue. It was smoother operation from day 1.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
miragesmack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65159
What I Drive: 2000 Sony Edition Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 miragesmack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjkel View Post
The 2000-2001 Foci were plagued with a number of pattern failures. The ones you will encounter are:

1. Old style ignition lock cylinder failure. This one is only a matter of time. Replace it with new style BEFORE it seizes up and requires drilling.
2. PCV hose collapse at intake manifold. Replace with improved part #XS4Z-6N664-BA
3. Alternator pigtail failure. Solder Motorcraft P/N WPT-118 pigtail kit (1U2Z-14S411-TA) onto wiring harness
4. Front spring failure in the rust states usually near the top. Unfortunately you are over the 10yr extended warranty program on this.
5. Rear spring failure in the rust states usually near the bottom.
6. Rear wheel bearing failure. If you have rear disk brakes, this also requires replacement of the rear spindles. There was a program on this years ago. It's over now.
7. Fuel pump failure. The program on this is now over.
8. Front sway-bar end-link failure - Just replace every 5 years anyhow, they're not hard to replace or expensive.
9. Front passenger-side windshield cowling failure causing water leakage onto front passenger floor pan. Clean windshield and replace cowling.
10. Valve-cover gasket failure causing hot engine oil to leak onto the thermostat housing o-ring in turn causing that to fail. Replace VC gasket with the higher-quality Fel-Pro item.
11. DPFE sensor failure causing DTC P0401 to be set. Replace DPFE sensor with improved-design OEM unit.
12. The usual heat-shield falling off problems, again in the rust states.
13. Ignition coil primary-side pigtail failure
14. IAC valve failure causing hard warm starts.
15. Battery wiring seems to need more than the usual attention to tightness and cleanliness, particularly the grounds.
16. Passenger-side engine mount - fluid leaks out and causes excessive vibration at idle. Replace only with OEM unit.
Wow! I had almost all of those within a one year period after buying my Focus. No spring, I replaced those anyway. The worst was the lock cylinder, having to drill that out sucks. Ford told me they can't be drilled out, needed to replace the whole column. Yeah, whatever.

Add to the list the shifter solenoid if you have an automatic. I have been through 2, though my replacement was used since Ford makes you buy the whole shifter assembly. It locks your shifter, which is a hassle.

2000 is the worst year of Focus to buy, wish I knew it before I bought mine, I would have taken a pass.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
This is an after market cylinder, not Ford. Mine has been on for 2 years with no issue. It was smoother operation from day 1.

Sounds good, thanks for the info.....that looks like a great kit! Aftermarket or not!

As for the 2000....i like mine a lot.....what do you expect for a nearly 13 yr old car? The difference between my focus and FIL 2000 Chevy Cavalier is night and day! The Cav is a TOTAL pos! Inside and out!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

I just ordered the kit from the ebay seller in this post. keeping my fingers crossed!

Can't be that hard to re-key to my current key with good instructions.

_greg
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
hitman2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105731
What I Drive: 2001 Silver 4dr ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 hitman2012 Good Standing Member
after doing all the replacements the car still wont start, it turns over but wont fire. Im replacing the battery next if it doesnt start after that I may just have it towed to the dealer and have them spend some time with it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what it could be, I have replaced the ignition coil, pig tailed it, spark plugs and wires, is there a starter selenoid on a 5 speed eng?, I know its not the starter or else it wouldnt even give me a pulse.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,747, Level 73
Points: 12,747, Level: 73 Points: 12,747, Level: 73 Points: 12,747, Level: 73
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
This sounds more of a technical issue now so I am moving this to the "General Technical Chat" so you can be better helped there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.