2012 steering issue. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
He said with the electric steering "if you hit a pea on the road it will make the wheel shift" I told him how with my old steering rack that that was not the case. He was dumbfounded. Of course during the test drive it drove pretty well. He noticed bad torque steer when braking, which I have noticed also, which he claims "these cars are known for their bad torque steer."
I never had the issue where the steering would stiffen and cause highway wander, but my car has never tracked very well. If I’m on the highway and there’s a slope/crown in the road, it’ll usually follow that – which the electronic steering was (allegedly) supposed to counter. If I'm driving on an uneven surface or approaching a light and brake my steering wheel turns... a lot.

I just keep my hands on the steering wheel and then I don’t have these problems…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45853
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 oshoguno Good Standing Member
I took possession of a 2012 Hatchback about a month ago and my car likes to wander at highway speeds too. It probably does it all the time but is most noticeable at highway speeds. It feels like there is no deadband at all at center position. If I am driving down the highway (and I know roads are not flat and the car will not drive perfectly centered all the time) and it starts to go a little left I will correct right by only a degree or two and it feels like I gave it an 1/16th of a turn and I have to correct back and forth a couple times to get a good center again. I have a build date of 06.01.2012 and only 1400kms on the car. I have a couple other minor issues at this point, is it worth it to bring it back in now or should I wait longer for things to shake out. My local (couple kms down the road) dealer doesn't have the best reputation for being helpful and another dealer is almost a half hour away.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshoguno View Post
is it worth it to bring it back in now or should I wait longer for things to shake out.
Your steering rack isn't going to break-in. Take it to the dealer - at least that way if you turn into a guardrail you have proof that you had it looked at.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I took possession of a 2012 Hatchback about a month ago and my car likes to wander at highway speeds too. It probably does it all the time but is most noticeable at highway speeds. It feels like there is no deadband at all at center position. If I am driving down the highway (and I know roads are not flat and the car will not drive perfectly centered all the time) and it starts to go a little left I will correct right by only a degree or two and it feels like I gave it an 1/16th of a turn and I have to correct back and forth a couple times to get a good center again. I have a build date of 06.01.2012 and only 1400kms on the car. I have a couple other minor issues at this point, is it worth it to bring it back in now or should I wait longer for things to shake out. My local (couple kms down the road) dealer doesn't have the best reputation for being helpful and another dealer is almost a half hour away.
Hi oshoguno,

You're always welcome to visit whichever Ford dealership you prefer; additionally, I'm happy to reach out to my contact at Ford Canada on your behalf and ensure that your concern is addressed. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Your steering rack isn't going to break-in. Take it to the dealer - at least that way if you turn into a guardrail you have proof that you had it looked at.
Thanks for the suggestion, PratoN!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Crystal, I think it is only fair to give the dealership a fair chance first before I escalate. I was questioning more whether the steering would improve after the first few thousand kms or if this is how it will always be (which PratoN was able to enlighten me on). Never having bought a car with less than 60,000kms on it before I don't know what is "expected" behavior out of a new car, for example, the DCT needs a few thousand kms on it to fully learn the touch points (according to the TSB) and I shouldn't jump the gun by bringing it in right away. I have no desire to become an automotive hypochondriac, but I do want actual concerns taken care of as early as possible. Add to this issue is horrible mileage (two tanks so far both at 8.4l/100km or 28mpg with 70% highway driving), my rear defroster seems to be on all the time and one annoying dash squeak right around my steering column/instrument cluster. With that said how much time do you give a new car before you bring it in for minor issues?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
With that said how much time do you give a new car before you bring it in for minor issues?
Until all of the other issues come about.

Just kidding, but seriously.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast

I understand they prefer if you never bring it in until you want to buy another new one.

I'm reading the thread on the rear defrost issue now and can't believe how people will drop one quote or fact and consider the issue closed and all other opinions invalid. So thanks for giving me unbiased advice and actually having a sense of humor.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
peridigm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103341
What I Drive: 12', Ti wrapped

FF Reputation: 1 peridigm Good Standing Member
My car is currently at the dealer for this issue. I test drove with the tech when I dropped it off. The tech had not seen the issue in the Focus bu did mention they had seen it and replaced the epass rack in F-150's that have a similar system. The test drive was not very informative but the tech understood exactly what I was talking about and said they would drive it more on their own.

After driving the car and talking with Ford they came to the conclusion that there is an issue, it's not real bad but not perfect, so they are going to replace the rack.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by foy1719 View Post
Dec. 2011 would not be an early build , correct?
Mine is a Dec. 2011 build and I had the same problem you described. I had my electrical steering assembly replaced and it's much better now.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
peridigm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103341
What I Drive: 12', Ti wrapped

FF Reputation: 1 peridigm Good Standing Member
I have a 5/31/12 build.

Bookmarks & Social Networks