Ford to Launch Fiesta ST in North America, Brings Big Speed and Style to the Small Car Market - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Strange (and ashame) that it's not a D.I. engine. Would be great if it was going to be a 3-door stateside. It loses some of its good looks during the transition to 5-door. Looks fun, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Strange (and ashame) that it's not a D.I. engine. Would be great if it was going to be a 3-door stateside. It loses some of its good looks during the transition to 5-door. Looks fun, though.
I'm surprised at that as well. I thought that the moniker of 'Ecoboost' implied turbocharging and direct injection.

As far as 3/5 door, I have no preference, I think 3 doors looks better and 5 doors is more practical. Personally, I would buy the 5 door. But it would be nice to at least have the choice! The GTI sells plenty of 3 doors, the Volvo C30 is only 3 doors, and the Veloster has that asymmetrical layout for aesthetic reasons, so its not like 3 doors don't sell in America, which seems to be what Ford thinks.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #33
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusSTHopeful View Post
because 99% of drivers regularly drive their car to the limits where the difference in powertrains become apparent?
I had a Mustang too. Did I use it to its full potential? No, however, if I felt the need to go sideways, you bet cha ass I did. I can't go sideways in a front wheel drive car.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #34
swansong
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
I can't go sideways in a front wheel drive car.
The Focus ST can go sideways with lift off oversteer, quite easily. Is it the same as a RWD powered drift? No, it is just a different way to have fun. RWD gives you burnouts, donuts, and drifting, and FWD (if set up properly) can give you four wheel drifts, lift off oversteer, and tossability. You can chuck a FWD into a corner to get it sideways, but I wouldn't try tossing a Mustang.

What I'm saying is that RWD and FWD can both be fun and rewarding to drive, but in different ways.

AWD, in my opinion, is good for launches and poor weather conditions. Everywhere else it just sucks drivetrain power, increases weight and cost, and usually produces understeer.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #35
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
AWD is so much more than just for bad weather and drag launches and anybody who has seriously drove one will tell you that.

I'm glad for the whole small car performance market that Ford is releasing a Fiesta ST but for me it's just too little and the Focus is as small as I go. I like it overall and it shows the hot hatch market is booming in america but I just need to get my friend who is considering an Abarth to give the ST a serious look.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #36
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I'm impressed no matter what, but 2700lb for a subcompact FWD car is too much. I'd be more impressed if they could keep it under 2500lb but that would likely require removing all of the creature comforts like sound deadening and electronics.

(I mean, my Focus weighs about 2700lb so a Fiesta should definitely weigh less.)
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #37
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
I'm surprised at that as well. I thought that the moniker of 'Ecoboost' implied turbocharging and direct injection.
I believe that DI has always been part of any EcoBoost engine's technology portfolio.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #38
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
The Focus ST can go sideways with lift off oversteer, quite easily. Is it the same as a RWD powered drift? No, it is just a different way to have fun. RWD gives you burnouts, donuts, and drifting, and FWD (if set up properly) can give you four wheel drifts, lift off oversteer, and tossability. You can chuck a FWD into a corner to get it sideways, but I wouldn't try tossing a Mustang.

What I'm saying is that RWD and FWD can both be fun and rewarding to drive, but in different ways.
I'll have to try those techniques. I miss RWD, but I'll give it a shot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #39
swansong
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I'm impressed no matter what, but 2700lb for a subcompact FWD car is too much. I'd be more impressed if they could keep it under 2500lb but that would likely require removing all of the creature comforts like sound deadening and electronics.

(I mean, my Focus weighs about 2700lb so a Fiesta should definitely weigh less.)
Agreed. It's an unfortunate result of increasing safety regulations and an emphasis on NHV standards. I'm kind of surprised at how much more it weighs than the standard Fiesta though.

Quote:
AWD is so much more than just for bad weather and drag launches and anybody who has seriously drove one will tell you that.
I guess my comment was more focused towards explaining why the Fiesta in particular shouldn't be FWD. Too heavy, expensive, and mpg-costly. Fiesta is meant to be a baby Focus ST, a comfortable, inexpensive, and quick DD car. AWD doesn't fit for the Fiesta. AWD certainly has its applications performance-wise, but higher power levels are needed to fully utilize its advantages over FWD.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post

It's probably the extra airbags and safety equipment that is adding to the weight. I had a '00 Integra Type R and it weighed in at 2500lbs and it had no sound deadening materials and very thin metal panels to keep weight down. In retrospect I wish they included sound deadening materials as that car was so noisy and sounded like the inside of a pop can if anything hit the underneath of the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks