Ran out of gas... with 1/5 tank of gas left! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Kevin_agar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104461
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Kevin_agar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ran out of gas... with 1/5 tank of gas left!

Yesterday I was driving home with 1/5 tank of gas showing on the gauge and 100 miles to go and going along at 70mph when suddenly..... my car goes silent and no power.
I pulled over on the highway in a really bad spot and the car would not start again. So after calling the Ford hotline..I had it towed to the dealer, picked up a rental car etc.
The next day Ford tells me.... WOW... it was just a fluke and that the sender unit in the tank showed 1/5 of a tank of gas and 100 miles to go when the car was really bone dry empty. They replaced the sender unit and sent me on my way... with as simple sorry.
So beware.... don't let it get too very low on gas... as your car might just quit and not know why cuz your dash might show plenty of gas. Always have the tow truck add a bit of gas first if the gauge is below 1/5 of a tank as it may get you out of having to pay for a rental and the agrivation of a "fluke" bad part ... cheers Kevin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_agar View Post
Yesterday I was driving home with 1/5 tank of gas showing on the gauge and 100 miles to go and going along at 70mph when suddenly..... my car goes silent and no power.
I pulled over on the highway in a really bad spot and the car would not start again. So after calling the Ford hotline..I had it towed to the dealer, picked up a rental car etc.
The next day Ford tells me.... WOW... it was just a fluke and that the sender unit in the tank showed 1/5 of a tank of gas and 100 miles to go when the car was really bone dry empty. They replaced the sender unit and sent me on my way... with as simple sorry.
So beware.... don't let it get too very low on gas... as your car might just quit and not know why cuz your dash might show plenty of gas. Always have the tow truck add a bit of gas first if the gauge is below 1/5 of a tank as it may get you out of having to pay for a rental and the agrivation of a "fluke" bad part ... cheers Kevin.
Wondering if I have the same problem. I have horrible mileage, at least thats what I think. However when my car shows 15 km to empty I can only squeeze 39 litres into it. I think my guage may be off. Its at the dealer now
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
There are two TSBs out for erratic fuel gauges. If it's throwing DTC codes P0546, P008A, P1450, P2196, crank no start - then you need TSB 11-9-3.

If you have horizontal lines on your message center and an erratic fuel gauge, you're looking at TSB 12-1-7.

That said, if you have neither of these and ran out of gas with 1/5 of a tank left, your dealer should be able to recalibrate your gauge. Should.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102901
What I Drive: '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Ouch that sucks. Going forward you should reset one of your trips with every fill up and monitor it throughout the tank for added reassurance. For example I know that I should be at 300 miles at 1/4 tank or something's off.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
doublej
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100611
What I Drive: 2012, yellow blaze, SE Sport hatch

FF Reputation: 0 doublej Newbie
If the gage is faulty, why would you pay for a rental?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Always have the tow truck add a bit of gas first if the gauge is below 1/5 of a tank as it may get you out of having to pay for a rental and the agrivation of a "fluke" bad part
Why 1/5 of a tank?

Clearly you had a bad "sender", right? If someone else has a bad "sender", why do you believe that it will necessarily behave exactly the same as yours did?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Kevin_agar
Focus Rookie

ok, to doublej..... really?
I found out after that I had a faulty sender.... after I got the car looked at.
When you cant start ur car at the side of a busy highway and the gauge reads just below 1/4 tank, one would hardly think nor expect to have actually run out of gas! hahahahha. Thought it was computer or fuel pump myself.

By the way...most ford dealerships dont have loaner cars and they dont pay for rentals unless you have the $$$ Extended warranty.

...and the dealers wont recalibrate gauges.... just replace under warranty.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Kevin_agar
Focus Rookie

Kabigon.....my point is that anyone who's car stalls out for no reason and has very low fuel in their tank might want to try adding gas just in case their senders are slightly off too.... might save them a trip to the dealer and a day off work waiting for a fix.
It can't hurt right?
In my experience I didn't think about adding gas becasue my gauge told me I still had just a bit less than 1/4.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Ellellelle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106363
What I Drive: 2013 Focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Ellellelle Good Standing Member
Quote:
ok, to doublej..... really?
I found out after that I had a faulty sender.... after I got the car looked at.
When you cant start ur car at the side of a busy highway and the gauge reads just below 1/4 tank, one would hardly think nor expect to have actually run out of gas! hahahahha. Thought it was computer or fuel pump myself.

By the way...most ford dealerships dont have loaner cars and they dont pay for rentals unless you have the $$$ Extended warranty.

...and the dealers wont recalibrate gauges.... just replace under warranty.
Maybe I read it wrong, but I think he meant why should you pay for a rental when a part is faulty. Should be on ford to pay.

Sent from my VM670 using FF Mobile
Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Kevin_agar
Focus Rookie

Kabigon.... the fuel senders are simple devices.... they work off of variable resistance as you probably know.
They either fail totally, get stuck mechanically or their resistance curve is innacurate from the senders lowest level up.... I'm just trying to help people out by offering options if their car ever just dies out unexpectedly but shows some gas on the gauge.... I have never had this happen in my 35 years of driving... so cheers for all its worth.

Bookmarks & Social Networks