Help!! 2013 focus. Need your input. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help!! 2013 focus. Need your input.

Guys and Gals,

I'm in the market to buy a 2013 Focus 5 door (Titanium) with DCT. I joined this forum because while doing my research, I discovered several articles, reviews and long term tests which have brought to light the issues with the DCT and also the Sony MYtouch system. Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend and Consumer Reports have all found fault with the tranny and Consumer Reports gave it their lowest rating of "worse." Obviously this concerns me a lot because I'd like to avoid any new car purchase nightmares.

I have my financing already approved and I've picked out the exact car from dealer stock. I was planning on taking delivery early this week, but now I'm reluctant to do so until I get some feedback from Focus owners such as yourself. If you have a 2012/2013 Focus with DCT, please share with me your experience with your car. Also, after having bought the car, did any of you regret your decision or trade it for something else?

Please give me your honest feedback. Thanks everybody.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Welcome to the community. I strongly suggest you use the search engine available with the forum. You will find all the information you are looking for about the car, the DCT, MFT, etc, as they are all largely covered in the forum.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 Titanium with Sync and MFT. I have the manual version and love it completely. I have had no issues with MFT 3.0.2 installed by the dealer, it works extremely well and does everything I need it to do via voice or touch. I connect my Galaxy Nexus phone via bluetooth and it works flawlessly. I am currently getting about 7.1 L/100km per tank. You can check out others in your area by navigating to the website Fuelly.com

Good Luck, I absolutely love my car.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
To give you a worthwhile response we'll need to know what type of phone you have and what you expect to be able to do with the car's infotainment system. As far as the DCT is concerned, you shouldn't have to worry as most of the concerns have been resolved with software updates to the transmission. DCT isn't as responsive as normal transmissions but it is fine for daily driving. The only time it becomes annoying is when stuck in standstill traffic. Crawling along at ~3-5mph speeds is a little jerky.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Desmo748
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105715
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Black Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Desmo748 Good Standing Member
I have 2 2012's Foci, mines a Hatch the wife has the sedan. Love them both. Both have the DCT, but no MFT. Cant give you inputs on that feature. But as far as reliability so far so good. Nothing jerky in the transmissions on either of them. Storage is fine. Just did a 800 mile round trip drive over the holiday and we were both comfortable hauling the luggage plus a 11 week old in the car. (thankfully he slept 90% of the way!!!) and we had plenty of space left over. on a side note we did average 37 mpg for the trip, if you were wondering about how it does in real world situations on gas mileage. I have to say it is doing better than the 2011 F250 i had that they replaced! 1 regret.... not waiting till the dealer had the ST on the lot when i did the 2 for 1 deal when they took back my 250!

PS i did change the stock exhaust to a custom 2.5" cat back system and modified the intake/airbox. But still getting great mileage!!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMark View Post
To give you a worthwhile response we'll need to know what type of phone you have and what you expect to be able to do with the car's infotainment system. As far as the DCT is concerned, you shouldn't have to worry as most of the concerns have been resolved with software updates to the transmission. DCT isn't as responsive as normal transmissions but it is fine for daily driving. The only time it becomes annoying is when stuck in standstill traffic. Crawling along at ~3-5mph speeds is a little jerky.
I'm using a Motorola Droid X. Basically I'd like to be able to stream music from my phone and possibly read text messages, but I'm not sure the Droid X is compatible. However, my biggest concern is the transmission. I live in SoCal and as everyone knows our traffic sucks! Come to think of it...all traffic sucks, but ours is among the worst. So the tranny issue of stop and go..creeping along between 3-5MPH will certainly come in to play for me. For those of you with the 2012's, did the updates eliminate the tranny problem (DCT)?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
Guys and Gals,

I'm in the market to buy a 2013 Focus 5 door (Titanium) with DCT. I joined this forum because while doing my research, I discovered several articles, reviews and long term tests which have brought to light the issues with the DCT and also the Sony MYtouch system. Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend and Consumer Reports have all found fault with the tranny and Consumer Reports gave it their lowest rating of "worse." Obviously this concerns me a lot because I'd like to avoid any new car purchase nightmares...
Hi Just Tom,

I responded to your PM. Let me know if you have any other questions for me.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm using a Motorola Droid X. Basically I'd like to be able to stream music from my phone and possibly read text messages, but I'm not sure the Droid X is compatible. However, my biggest concern is the transmission. I live in SoCal and as everyone knows our traffic sucks! Come to think of it...all traffic sucks, but ours is among the worst. So the tranny issue of stop and go..creeping along between 3-5MPH will certainly come in to play for me. For those of you with the 2012's, did the updates eliminate the tranny problem (DCT)?
For the moment, the updates or software wipe did helped, yes. But I am still monitoring the DCT behavior on my car as it was done recently. It's a work in progress
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
For those of you with the 2012's, did the updates eliminate the tranny problem (DCT)?
Actually mine was fine before the latest software update and got worse after it. Just had the clutches replaced last week and we'll see how it goes - too soon to tell yet.

Bottom line is if you want the best combination of power, handling, comfort and technology in the compact segment, and can stand some potential quirkiness of the DCT and / or MFT, the Focus is it.

If you absolutely want to minimize trips to the dealer at all costs and don't mind driving a boring refrigerator, get a Corolla.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Welcome to the forum!

Like you, I did a lot of research on the 2013 Focus before I bought it. But I did and even though I don't regret buying it, it does have very annoying issues, mainly with MyFordTouch.

I have a 2013 that was MSRP'd at $27k. Needless to say, it has every available option on it so I thought it would be flawless. Nope.

MFT is the biggest issue I have with this car. I own an Apple iPhone 4S, one of the most popular phones on the planet and MFT cannot play nicely with it, even with the latest update. These issues include poor Bluetooth streaming audio and a voice navigation system that can be painful to use. Some might say these issues are minor, and that big issues would be mechanical. But to me, MFT is supposed to make your life easier and it falls short.

If you can get over MFT or decide not to get it, the car mechanically is great (although time will tell). There's a few creaks and rattles here and there (there's a lot of plastic on this car) but it's not too bad. The DCT, at least on my car, works great with no issues.

Shop around, drive tons of other cars and goodluck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks