How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures) - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #51
LiquidFocus003
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94591
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid Grey Focus ZX3 (S2)

FF Reputation: 1 LiquidFocus003 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2001 Zx3 and honestly I've done alot of installs especially in focuses and people always tell me they are going to get new speakers. I tell them no and let them listen to my stock speakers which are being pushed from a double DIN pioneer head unit and I have the high pass filter turned all the way up so no bass is coming through just miss and highs and people swear I spent mad money on my system. I love the test you did tho.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #52
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Funny all the other threads where they talk about how bad the stock speakers are.

I was thinking about upgrading but now it seems maybe I wont. Here's the deal id like a bit more clarity and Im wondering if its just a lack of power. Im not keen on ditching the head unit as I just like the look, Id like to keep the steering wheel controls and its the 6 disc changer.

Do you think I would see any benefit from amping the stock head unit with the stock speaker? I don't need more volume it gets loud enough. What I'm looking for is more clarity and separation. If Im not going to get that then Id just assume leave it alone. I mean its fine the way it is really it would just be nice to get a bit of improvement.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #53
cyfocus01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95790
What I Drive: 01 silver zts sedan

Points 437, Level 8
Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cyfocus01 Good Standing Member
Agreed. I have same feelings, sound is good at moderate levels, but when you want to rock outt, it turns to ugh.

I have been debating for a while, but in the spring I think I'm going to put in a leftover set of crossovers and tweeters from a previous ride. Hopeing that is a way to "clear" things up.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #54
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
I agree that cross-overs should make a world of difference. I dont get why they are driving to drive bass through the mids (and maybe the tweeters) when they put a sub in the back.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #55
Josh's SE
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110705
What I Drive: 2000 Biege SE

FF Reputation: 1 Josh's SE Good Standing Member
I am getting an aftermarket deck installed in my 00 focus and later on I'm looking to get subs my stock speakers sound good already but I'm worried on what they would sound like when I get the subs put in
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #56
twiggss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107242
What I Drive: 07 ZX3 Black

Points 459, Level 9
Points: 459, Level: 9 Points: 459, Level: 9 Points: 459, Level: 9
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 2 twiggss Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think you just have may saved me some $$$
Old 10-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #57
LiquidFocus003
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94591
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid Grey Focus ZX3 (S2)

FF Reputation: 1 LiquidFocus003 Good Standing Member
I had a sub in my car and run a pioneer head unit which has the sub control and hpf/lpf built in I clear all the base from my door speakers and send all the base to the back, reverting swears I have aftermarket speakers and I really don't.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #58
vlchenzo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115271
What I Drive: 2003 Fort Knox Gold Ztw

Points 78, Level 1
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 vlchenzo Good Standing Member
I am wondering if my 2003 ford focus wagon has the same speaker setup. i have a kenwood headunit and all stock speakers. my front speakers come in clear, but when i push the rear speakers too much, they become muffled. i wonder why. i have a set of 2 kenwood speakers and im thinking of replacing the rear muffled speakers.

does anyone have any takes on this idea? is it worth it?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #59
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,745, Level 71
Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well the stock speaker IMO isnt really a speaker to crank up loud. Mine sounded good but the louder i pushed em the worse they sounded.

I think many low end speakers cant handle alot of power clean.

Your issues could be many things without looking at them its anyones guess.

They could be weather rotten, a window could of been broken out and rain could of damaged them, they could be torn from being cranked to loud, something could have fallen in and its touching the cone, the door could of been kicked and damaged.

Some speakers have a sort of shelf life. The cones usually hold up for many years. The part that breaks down on most is the suspension around the edge of the cone. Most are like foam rubber or something this part can dry rot crack and split. When that happens the cone has no control and it starts to flap around and distort quickly. When this happens your only real option is to replace them. You can try and fix it but ive never had any luck at that.

What about the settings on your head unit? Most of the newer radios ive messed with have an electronic crossover in them to allow you to cut some of the low end out. These arnt woofers, they arnt designed to pound a ton of bass like a 12" driver they have limits.

IMO the key to a good sounding radio is finding that sweet spot your radio. amp and speakers sound best. I dont feel the need to try and get lots of bass from my door speakers thats the job of my sub so i cross mine about 100-150 and i let the sub handle everything under that.

The higher i cross mine the louder i can turn them up before they start to sound muddy. I think mine are at 120 or 150 i cant remember its been a while since i messed with that part of my head unit.

My radio also has this setting called "speaker size" if you play with that also it can change the curves of the sound. Sometimes a different speaker size can bring the best out of a certain speaker.

In the early days of car stereo you had to get a ton of different equipment to cross speakers over so they sounded good loud now days everything is built into the head unit so you really should dig into the settings and play with the radio settings. This can save you money, the proper radio setting is free so take the time to adjust it and see if they sound better.

Any more you can get away with running all 4 door speakers off the head unit and 1 amp and sub can give you an AMAZING sounding system. The stuff is so cheap now also
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #60
vlchenzo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115271
What I Drive: 2003 Fort Knox Gold Ztw

Points 78, Level 1
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 vlchenzo Good Standing Member
thank you bowerR64. that was very helpful. oh I've played around with the equalizer alottt. haha. before i had a subwoofer i would turn the mids and the highs all the way down and put the bass all the way up and that made it have a lot of bass haha. but it was never really enough.

that's why i got the subwoofer. but its only a 50 watt bazooka tube. since its a wagon, the bass comes in really clear and nice. but i wish the sub was like 100 or 150 watts. it doesn't need to be like 700 800 watts. the 50 is pretty good, but i think if it were 100 or 150 i would def turn the bass all the way down on my door speakers and let the sub do all the work. but the sub really doesn't push out that much bass. :/

lol. oh well. mayb ill invest in a more powerfull sub. the only thing is i don't want to have to run all those wires to the battery and get one of those battery distributor things and have alternator problems lol.

i might take off the back door panel and hook up the new speaker and see how it sounds and if it isn't any different, ill just leave the stock ones on. the kenwood speakers i have are said to be peak 180 watts. rated at 30 watts. i think the stock ones are rated at like 6 watts. something like that. so the new ones HAVE to sound better, no? oh well. we'll see. haha. thanks for all the info though. it was very helpful.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.