2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #71
MPHinPgh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106369
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 MPHinPgh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Red face Click-Click-Whir after opening the doors

Guys,

Take this for what it's worth, but our 2013 Focus SE 5dr Auto was making the exact same sound as everyone else has been talking about, and I took the car up to the dealer today. After I got them to believe me (we had to leave the car sit for a while before it would make the noise), they checked with Ford and got this response from the OASIS System (I guess that's the Tech Service system???).

This is a direct quote...

2013 Focus vehicles equipped with the Powershift DPS6 transmission may experience a clicking noise from the transmission after the doors are unlocked, opened and prior to the engine starting for up to 3 minutes. The noise is the transmission shift motors waking up and preparing for startup. Attempts to eliminate the noise should not be made.

I'm keeping a copy of the message with the repair bill, just in case something decides to break down the road, but essentially, Ford is saying it's normal, live with it.

Hope this helps, and I apologize if this information has already been posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #72
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey gang,

Your dealerships are going to be the best way to determine if the sounds your cars are making are normal or not. Stop by so they can inspect or mention it at your next scheduled maintenance visit. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll track down the answers.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #73
able2358
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106565
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: 1 able2358 Good Standing Member
Click click

My wife got in an accident 2012 focus.
They had to replace the computer and wiring harness (drivers side fender hit)
Never made the noise before or after the accident i drove the car to the
body shop. Makes it now. Open the passenger door does it once. Open the drivers door does it for three minutes. Makes me think its in the computer.
They say its normal i cant find a car on a dealers lot that makes it...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #74
Scubagolf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106585
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Scubagolf Good Standing Member
My mother in law's brand new Focus has 100 miles on it and has made this sound upon opening the door since she bought it two weeks ago. We took it to the dealership today and explained what was happening to both the service writer and the sales manager. We showed them both the post above with the quote from OASIS. Neither was aware of anything remotely resembling this issue.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #75
mbchauvin1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106542
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatch back

FF Reputation: 1 mbchauvin1 Good Standing Member
Same Thing

My wifes brand new 2013 Ford Focus 5 door started doing that same exact thing the next day. It's hard for me to except a car when unlocking the door will start making this noise under the hood, with the engine off. Normal they say..Hmmmmmmm. How many of this model would they sell if perhaps the cars sales person say " how about this sharp looking Focus but listen it goes to making this clicking noise once the doors are unlocked. I will be bringing my wifes Focus in to the dealer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHinPgh View Post
Guys,

Take this for what it's worth, but our 2013 Focus SE 5dr Auto was making the exact same sound as everyone else has been talking about, and I took the car up to the dealer today. After I got them to believe me (we had to leave the car sit for a while before it would make the noise), they checked with Ford and got this response from the OASIS System (I guess that's the Tech Service system???).

This is a direct quote...

2013 Focus vehicles equipped with the Powershift DPS6 transmission may experience a clicking noise from the transmission after the doors are unlocked, opened and prior to the engine starting for up to 3 minutes. The noise is the transmission shift motors waking up and preparing for startup. Attempts to eliminate the noise should not be made.

I'm keeping a copy of the message with the repair bill, just in case something decides to break down the road, but essentially, Ford is saying it's normal, live with it.

Hope this helps, and I apologize if this information has already been posted.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #76
mbchauvin1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106542
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatch back

FF Reputation: 1 mbchauvin1 Good Standing Member
screw up

Very unhappy. My wifes brand new 2013Ford Focus started making the very same clicking noise that is all over in this forum from other owners on the second day. How much this do you need to hear. I will tell you this, had the sales person indicated this car will make a clicking noise once you unlock the door with the engine off then I would of turned the other cheek and said hell no. All of this and not one Ford rep. explaining any of this. B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey MNMike,

Congratulations on the new Focus! I'm the Ford Customer Service Rep around these parts, so if you ever have a question or concern, send me a PM and I'll get you some answers.

Have an awesome weekend!
Crystal
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #77
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchauvin1 View Post
Very unhappy. My wifes brand new 2013Ford Focus started making the very same clicking noise that is all over in this forum from other owners on the second day. How much this do you need to hear. I will tell you this, had the sales person indicated this car will make a clicking noise once you unlock the door with the engine off then I would of turned the other cheek and said hell no. All of this and not one Ford rep. explaining any of this. B.S.
If this makes you that unhappy, you are in a for very long unhappy life. I have trouble taking your post seriously. Are you for real or are you a rep from another car company?

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #78
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I think you're making too much out of nothing. This car makes all kinds of noises at different times. Pay attention when you put your key in the ignition after it hasn't been running for a while and you'll hear the fuel pump click on. Lots of electronics. Lots of servos.

Yup, mine too > all appears normal. Sometimes folks will want to over analyze every single tiny sound or nuance. I guess we could call this condition "Focus Fanatic Paranoia"
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #79
Scubagolf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106585
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Scubagolf Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
Yup, mine too > all appears normal. Sometimes folks will want to over analyze every single tiny sound or nuance. I guess we could call this condition "Focus Fanatic Paranoia"
Do YOU have this whirr-click-click every time you open the car door? My issue is the dealer professed ignorance about the issue. I smell a class action coming.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #80
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
LOL - a class action. And this noise hurts you how exactly?

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks