DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 171 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #1701
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
At my suggestion, Ford service lined me up with a Focus identical to mine mechanically, and I've been driving it for a week since mine has been in the shop to deal with its ills.

The loaner is great. NO stumbles, stutters, judders, jerks or sudden power cutoff, and it picks the right gear about every time.
For good measure, I'm getting 2-3 mpg better mileage than my own car, driven on the same roads and the same loops thru' town, etc.

Something sure as hell wrong with mine, and I just hope they can find it and fix it. Clutches are reputedly being replaced.
Moon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #1702
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
At my suggestion, Ford service lined me up with a Focus identical to mine mechanically, and I've been driving it for a week since mine has been in the shop to deal with its ills.
What model year is the loaner?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #1703
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
What model year is the loaner?
It is presumably a 2012; it has 8k miles on it, so it wasn't made yesterday.
It is an SE rather than an SEL, but it's my understanding that the transmission, antilock and stability control are the same.

Moon
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #1704
.Leda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103845
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 .Leda Good Standing Member
I haven't been here in a while.... My car which had some things fixed, started acting up again yesterday and today. The shudder is back when going from first to second gears. And it's a more aggressive shudder with slight noise. :(

wishlist: tinted windows, polished silver wheels
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #1705
Tonybaloney
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87335
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Metallic Hatch Sel

FF Reputation: 1 Tonybaloney Good Standing Member
So I scheduled my transmission fix, again. I was told this time around the tranmission would be taken out, etc., etc. Below is the message I sent to the Ford Reps on the board here. Within minutes I got a message back from Cory in the Service Dept. Same day I received a call from Mark at Ford's Service Dept. with a incident number. They've contacted my dealer and are keeping an eye on things. The dealer said they've had about a half dozen with the full workup (PCM flash AND seal/part replacement) and haven't heard of any problems yet. Crossing my fingers. But seriously, if you're having this issue, PM the Ford Reps on here and they'll get it taken care of.

~I had the TSB update that was released many months back. I definitely noticed a different power curve. However since then I have noticed several issues occurring.

1st through 3rd shifts are rough and shudder all the time.

When accelerating to 2nd or 3rd and then slowing down the dropoff in power is so significant that my passengers and I literally fly forward. Its almost like the flywheel is so light that it cannot slow the RPMs at a comfortable rate.

4th gear is non-existent. The RPM's decrease from 3rd to 4th as it should but do not increase at all and then decrease to 5th which does increase and then to 6th.

Randomly the transmission will hesitate a shift so severely that the car loses power completely. I wish it were predictable so I could reproduce it for a mechanic. But being so random it is so very unsafe.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #1706
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Tony, that reflects some of my experiences. Being in touch with Ford Customer Service will get things moving.
As regards the 'randomness' thing, fully concur. I don't know if the Service Manager ever did believe that my tranny was misbehaving, because he drove the car for a couple days and couldn't replicate the problem.
If I hadn't raised hell, and had an additional push from Ford service, it probably would have remained unrepaired.

Moon
Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #1707
wkumtrider
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105044
What I Drive: 2012 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 wkumtrider Good Standing Member
I purchased a used 2012 Focus SE with the 6 sp powershift. It has over 20,000 miles and and behaves like everyone has posted here (shutters/jumps at slow speeds, shifts upward too early, rattles,etc). So I'm pretty sure it has not had the transmission flash/reprogramming. I saw the TSB on the 1st page of this thread. Is there any updated TSBs? I don't have time to look through all 172 pgs here. I plan to schedule an appointment at the dealer soon.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #1708
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post
I purchased a used 2012 Focus SE with the 6 sp powershift. It has over 20,000 miles and and behaves like everyone has posted here (shutters/jumps at slow speeds, shifts upward too early, rattles,etc). So I'm pretty sure it has not had the transmission flash/reprogramming. I saw the TSB on the 1st page of this thread. Is there any updated TSBs? I don't have time to look through all 172 pgs here. I plan to schedule an appointment at the dealer soon.

Thanks for the help.
For the DCT a good starting point is FSA (Field Service Action) 12B37. To see if your car has had this applied, go to etis.ford.com and enter your VIN in the appropriate place on the "vehicle" page. If you need this update, I suggest you print the etis page and bring it to your dealer. As far as I know, this is the most recent software revision.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #1709
SportyChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104205
What I Drive: 2012 FocusTitanium Hatchback - sold

FF Reputation: 1 SportyChick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post

The loaner is great. NO stumbles, stutters, judders, jerks or sudden power cutoff, and it picks the right gear about every time.
For good measure, I'm getting 2-3 mpg better mileage than my own car, driven on the same roads and the same loops thru' town, etc.

Something sure as hell wrong with mine, and I just hope they can find it and fix it. Clutches are reputedly being replaced.
Moon
That's exactly my situation right now.

I've been driving a loaner all week which is same year as mine, 2012 but this one is the SE sedan and I have the Titanium hatchback. The loaner drives like what I would expect mine to do but doesn't and this loaner gets much better mileage than mine. I've been driving the exact same route and haven't changed my driving habits and this car gets significantly better mileage.

Not sure when I'll get my car back, they're waiting for parts to replace the clutches.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1710
focussel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107389
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 focussel Good Standing Member
First gear clunk

I have a 2012 SEL with a 7/16/2012 production and 2400 miles. I have been reading the trans issues on this thread. My Focus is well behaved compared to many posts here. I prefer to drive in the manual shift mode and have experienced just a handful of abnormal shifting events. It does have a fairly consistent clunk when down shifting into first gear when coming to a stop. If I do a manual first gear shift it is always smooth, it is just the automatic transfer to first that clunks but not every time. Any one else experiencing this issue?

Other than this first gear issue I love the car. A lot more power than I had expected, handles great on a curved freeway ramp, got 40 mpg on a trip from Vegas to San Diego.

Bookmarks & Social Networks