Manual trans shifting noises... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
tt333
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102397
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 tt333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Manual trans shifting noises...

Tried the search feature and couldn't find anyone who has the same problem that my '12 SE with 5 Speed is having. Overall, I love the car and it drives great. This particular issue is getting frustrating though now...

When shifting from 1st gear to 2nd, it makes a bit of a "Click" noise, and when you release the clutch to drive in 2nd, it makes a fairly loud "CLOCK" sound. It also does this shifting from 2nd to 3rd but not nearly as loud.

The car now has 19,000kms on it, but didn't do this when it was new. It started probably around 10k and has become louder since. Today I brought it into the dealership and even went for a drive in it with the service manager... He said he couldn't hear anything that didn't sound normal. He seemed to understand me though and said he would take it for another drive with a tech. I went for lunch, and when I came back the service advisor told me there was no problem found, they couldn't replicate it.

It's getting to the point where it's embarrassing to drive it through something with a wall near (like a drive thru) where the sound echoes because my nearly-new car sounds like something's falling apart. This was also the third time bringing it to this dealer for the issue... (Before I asked them to check it out during oil-changes--"Couldn't hear it, or find any problems").

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will probably take it to a different dealership now, which is disappointing because otherwise this dealership has been fantastic. I am looking for any other insight on this problem from you guys.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
I have experienced this, and it drove me nuts, but I came to the conclusion that the noise was from the different gear ratios between 1st and 2nd it also depends what rpm you are at I've found that 3k to 4k to shift into 2nd works on minimizing the sound or your not in traffic with people on your ass and go slow. And don't push your clutch in so far and don't force it into 2nd feather it and you find the synchronisers match up nicely. Ps: I thought it was the car but it was the way I was driving/ learning experience. I might be wrong this was just my thought process and it became better, it's only here and there.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,208, Level 28
Points: 2,208, Level: 28 Points: 2,208, Level: 28 Points: 2,208, Level: 28
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
And don't push your clutch in so far l
Do not take this advice. Make sure your clutch pedal is all the way to the floor when shifting.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
I got told this by a family friend thats driven trucks for 40 years. Heel on the floor and dont push it through the floor.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,071, Level 72
Points: 12,071, Level: 72 Points: 12,071, Level: 72 Points: 12,071, Level: 72
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
No, you really do want the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.
Generally one can get away with less, but then one can shift between gears with no clutch at all if you are good at it..

I developed a habit of deliberate shifting. That is taking a bit of time to shift, rather than as fast as I can.
(My previous Contour SVT had some worn synchronizers before I had the tranny rebuilt, so it was better to be a little slow and deliberate, the habit stuck)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,103, Level 34
Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt333 View Post
Tried the search feature and couldn't find anyone who has the same problem that my '12 SE with 5 Speed is having...
Iím sorry I didnít notice your post before, tt333.

I saw the other thread you replied in and wanted to reach out here as well. In case you missed it: I recommend calling Ford Canada @ 1-800-565-3673. If youíve already done so, please send me a PM with what they said (along with your contact details).

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks