Anyone have a rattle in headliner? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
I think my sunglasses holder/sunroof control housing is rattling, not the headliner so much. All I have to do it touch my finger to it and it'll stop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Mine has this rattle, but only when it is dark or cloudy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #22
bman2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91142
What I Drive: 2012, grey, titanium

FF Reputation: 1 bman2012 Good Standing Member
does anyone know if the headliner issues been resolved on the 2013 model with the moonroof option? I have a 2012 and it has had the headliner replaced 4 times. All of them have started to rattle after awhile including the most recent one.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #23
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
that's great...i've been waiting 3 weeks for parts to fix my headliner for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2012 View Post
does anyone know if the headliner issues been resolved on the 2013 model with the moonroof option? I have a 2012 and it has had the headliner replaced 4 times. All of them have started to rattle after awhile including the most recent one.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2012 View Post
Hi bman2012,

Have you contacted Ford Canada so they can assist? They can be reached at 1-800-565-3673; they'll be your best bet for getting your issues with your headliner resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
that's great...i've been waiting 3 weeks for parts to fix my headliner for the first time.
Hi Shorty Long,

Have you contacted your regional customer service manager to see if the parts can be expedited? If not, I'm happy to get your case escalated and involved your CSM. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest.

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Oh yeah... along with a ton of other rattles from SO many sources. I scared the crap out of my wife the other day, 'cause the damn headliner wouldn't shut up. At the time it was rattling right above my head, so I punched it as hard as I could.

I really need to take it in, the problem is each headliner rattle location comes and goes at different times, and if the dealer comes back with "could not duplicate", I might hurt someone.

I have to say... it's 2012... Ford should know how to assemble a car much better than this. My '03 Ranger didn't have a single squeak or rattle in the 100K miles I owned it, and it went through a lot of work.
I think we have the same temperament.

This weekend I scared the heck out of someone in my car when I (out of nowhere) started punching and screaming at the rattling headliner.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
opies
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109709
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 opies Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had a saggy headliner that was failing at the front opening for the moon roof and one of the rear points had failed. They sent pics to Ford and they denied a replacement, but did authorize repairing the headliner. So they sent it to a trim shop local and its fixed.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #27
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
I was convinced I had rattle in the headliner and I drove my dealer crazy trying to fix it. As it turns out, sounds travels in odd ways in this car: the rattle was actually the HVAC vent under the passenger seat and was easily fixed with a bit of tape-on felt.

For those that haven't seen it, the HVAC vent in question is a gooseneck-shaped plastic part that just slips into the vent channel running under the floor. As it isn't secured in any other way, a loose fit can make it rattle like crazy.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I had an intermittent headliner rattle all winter, but the first time I opened the moonroof this spring, I saw the culprit. The snap-type "velcro" had separated on the passenger side front edge, so I just snapped it back in place with some pressure. I know the sticky backing on the "velcro" has come loose on other's cars, but mine is still firmly attached.

Now that the weather has warmed up, most of my other annoying rattles are gone. They'll surely return again in the fall...
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
NCWolfpack
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84467
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy M. Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 NCWolfpack Good Standing Member
I just went through a 6 week ordeal trying to get Ford to fix this exact rattle. The end result was that both of my local dealers confirmed they could hear it but refused to perform any fix since the Ford Tech Hotline claimed it was within "acceptable noise limits". They just closed my case number with no further line of action for me to follow.

Without seeing how everything is put together, it seemed to me that a part inside of the overhead console (2012 Titanium, no sunroof) is loose and rattles when the headliner shakes or vibrates. You can push the headliner up a decent amount between the dome light and the console and it immediately stops the rattle. Even just putting light pressure on the console will stop the rattle. I've heard the rattle at most speeds under 65 and with or without the stereo playing.

Another thread had a few people who successfully fixed the problem by wedging some foam strips above the headliner from the seam at the sunroof. Sadly, I don't have the sunroof so I have no clue how I would do a self fix. During my commute today I was wondering if there was some way I could take the dome light down and spray/place foam or glue above the headliner.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
nick753
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102976
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 nick753 Good Standing Member
I am also having this exact issue.

I took a day off work to bring my car to the dealer and they said it was the seatbelt! lol. No matter how much I tried to explain that if I press the dome light it stops, they wouldn't listen. I am going to see if I can just live with it but if not I'm going to try and bring it to another dealer that will attempt to do something.

Bookmarks & Social Networks