amp/speakers or new HU - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85098
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 austinpetemo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
amp/speakers or new HU

Have the option to tweak my sound system for christmas. Not sure how I want to go about doing this though. I already have an 8inch sub running at 300w so ive got the lows where i want them for the time being. Now I think I should probably work the mids and highs. These are the options Ive looked over.

2 Polk DB 6.5 components and a 2 channel amp (speakers 100rms @4ohm) (amp 125rms @4ohm x2)

4 Infinity reference coax or polk db coax with 4 channel amp to power them accordingly.

or a new head unit. I was thinking this unit was pretty nice looking and has 5v outputs.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-2-DIN-Blue...ds=jvc+5v+head

For those wondering my current speakers are all stock and my headunit is a single din dual with 3 sets preamp @ 1.5v i think. Sounds like crap at louder volumes (above 34 out of 46) but i figured that was a combo of crap speakers and a crap deck. Which route would offer me the most SQ and clarity over the others? Also, infinity or polk? Ive been scouring the interwebs for the past week for information but so much of it just leads in circles.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
doubles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106022
What I Drive: 2008 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 doubles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpetemo View Post
Have the option to tweak my sound system for christmas. Not sure how I want to go about doing this though. I already have an 8inch sub running at 300w so ive got the lows where i want them for the time being. Now I think I should probably work the mids and highs. These are the options Ive looked over.

2 Polk DB 6.5 components and a 2 channel amp (speakers 100rms @4ohm) (amp 125rms @4ohm x2)

4 Infinity reference coax or polk db coax with 4 channel amp to power them accordingly.

or a new head unit. I was thinking this unit was pretty nice looking and has 5v outputs.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-2-DIN-Blue...ds=jvc+5v+head

For those wondering my current speakers are all stock and my headunit is a single din dual with 3 sets preamp @ 1.5v i think. Sounds like crap at louder volumes (above 34 out of 46) but i figured that was a combo of crap speakers and a crap deck. Which route would offer me the most SQ and clarity over the others? Also, infinity or polk? Ive been scouring the interwebs for the past week for information but so much of it just leads in circles.....
nice looking radio. i think your going in the right direction with it all. love to see pics when and if you do this
Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubles View Post
nice looking radio. i think your going in the right direction with it all. love to see pics when and if you do this
It'll be one step at a time, over the course of months or years. Do you think I should get the head unit first? And then get the doors done when I have the money and time to do so? In high school I went SPL and had such loud subs, which may be why I have a hard time hearing people.... and this time im going for SQL. Why appreciate the volume when I can do something my ears will appreciate and enjoy the quality of the tunes.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
doubles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106022
What I Drive: 2008 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 doubles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
IMO that is what i would do as im thinking of doing it in my 08 focus a doubledin with bluetooth nav and siruis a kinda all in one then do speakers last
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Hooked up some home speakers to my small sub amp to see what amped doors would sound like and decided to go that route first instead. Got a set of pioneer 1720comps on the way and 4 chan polk 660 to run them. Did some more research on the kappas and polk DBs and found that these were supposed to be superior to both in highs and the mids.

Next on my list however is to upgrade to that JVC HU in a few months and then perhaps get a second set of components in the future.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Everything arrived and has been installed. I put my crossovers on the kick panel and the tweeters in my a pillar but ran into a problem, my tweeters are too deep and don't fit so I'm going to have to figure something out. It was to bright at first so I adjusted the tweeter to -3 on the crossover and it made it sound much better. Then I realized my RCA cables were backwards on my head unit so I pulled them off and plugged them back in. My radio now won't turn on and I'm not sure why. Fuss number 31 was blown so I swapped it. Got the radio to turn on for a minute but now it's off again and won't turn on again. Hope I didn't blow it.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 5,843, Level 49
Points: 5,843, Level: 49 Points: 5,843, Level: 49 Points: 5,843, Level: 49
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%
FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
You swapped the RCA's with the power on?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Ya, probably a boneheaded move on my part. The amp and speakers are fine but I fear my HU may be toast. I'm surprised its lasted as long as it has, crappy dual.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Just ripped out my HU and hooked it up to a 12v battery and it came on just fine. Guess I need to check all the connections.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 5,843, Level 49
Points: 5,843, Level: 49 Points: 5,843, Level: 49 Points: 5,843, Level: 49
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%
FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Good man!

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes

Bookmarks & Social Networks