2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 160 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #1591
3focuslater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80943
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE/ Black/Sync/Auto/Moon

FF Reputation: 1 3focuslater Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
I think we should be looking elsewhere, not at the suspension or wheels. All of these people are not morons, that rally is unlikely. It is probably a sound that sounds like its coming from somewhere different from it's actual place of origin.

Did you try turning the two front hood adjusters down a couple of turns? Sounds counterintuitive I know, but so far it's made a difference in mine. When the front adjusters are too high, it makes the hinge area rattle on sharp bumps at slow speed.
Worth a try anyway right?
Question about the hood bumpers .. So turning them own a little gets rid of the hood rattle, i turned mine up to make the hood tighter .. I am dumb here, whats the rattle it corrects where does it come from ... Forgive me i am just trying little things to see if its something simple.. Was gonna try the cc thing, but there was absolutely no space for it o slide in to.. I was bummed hoping it would be simple like it was for ours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #1592
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 8 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
So Crystal said "The SE sports package doesn't modify the suspension; it'll be the same as the other 2012 SE models."... which is NOT correct. The 2012 and 2012 ONLY se with the Sports handling package does in fact have the same Touring suspension as the TI with Handling pack... apparently she has not done her homework.... as for the 2013 SE... the Sports package is just an Appearance package...
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #1593
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi 3focuslater,

The SE sports package doesn't modify the suspension; it'll be the same as the other 2012 SE models. If you'd like, I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest.
Crystal
Crystal, here are some part numbers for the various 2012 Focus suspension configurations. The suspensions types are the same(ie. MacPherson strut up front and Control Blade in back), but different struts/shocks and springs combinations are used throughout the lineup. An SE Sport uses a touring strut and shock, same as the TI base, however they both use different springs in the rear. The S, SE base, and SEL use the standard struts/shocks. The SE Sport and TI base uses the touring struts/shocks. The Ti handling uses Handling struts/shocks. Most models use the same rear spring, some use the same front spring, and the Ti Handling uses a front spring specific to that model only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Here's a similar version of it I just found:

This is compiled from checking dealer inventory VINs in Etis, parts lists from Fordparts.com, and information from other posters. It is interesting to see how the different models are packaged. It also makes me wonder if there are errors in Etis. For example, I don't see the "MD" rear springs being used with any model, but I expected them to be used on the Titanium with 18" wheels. Also, the SE Sport uses the S rear springs?

There is no difference between hatch and sedan suspensions.
All models use the same stabilizer bars - 23.5mm front and 19mm rear.
Both suspension packages use standard brake calipers and pads.
There are two different front lower control arms - one for the S model (15" wheels) and one for all other models (16", 17" and I assume 18" wheels).
Front suspension knuckles are the same, but different rear (I think) suspension knuckles for 18" wheels.

S
6 x 15" Steel Wheels
standard suspension (shocks)
BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE
With 6.5J X 16" Steel Wheel
BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE - sport package
7 X 16" Alloy ET 50MM Style 2
touring suspension (shocks)
BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SEL
7 X 16" Alloy Wheels

Titanium
7J X 17" Style 5 Alloy Wheel
touring suspension (shocks)

Titanium - 18" alloy wheels
8 X 18 ET 55MM Alloy Style 2
With Handling Suspension (shocks)
BV61-5310-MD* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-MD* Right Front Coil
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #1594
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
So Crystal said "The SE sports package doesn't modify the suspension; it'll be the same as the other 2012 SE models."... which is NOT correct. The 2012 and 2012 ONLY se with the Sports handling package does in fact have the same Touring suspension as the TI with Handling pack... apparently she has not done her homework.... as for the 2013 SE... the Sports package is just an Appearance package...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
Crystal, here are some part numbers for the various 2012 Focus suspension configurations. The suspensions types are the same(ie. MacPherson strut up front and Control Blade in back), but different struts/shocks and springs combinations are used throughout the lineup. An SE Sport uses a touring strut and shock, same as the TI base, however they both use different springs in the rear. The S, SE base, and SEL use the standard struts/shocks. The SE Sport and TI base uses the touring struts/shocks. The Ti handling uses Handling struts/shocks. Most models use the same rear spring, some use the same front spring, and the Ti Handling uses a front spring specific to that model only.
Hey folks,

Thanks for jumping in here and offering up this info. Clearly I need to put on my reading glasses the next time I look up 2012 vs. 2013 info.

Have a great holiday!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #1595
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
My credit card wedged under the tower brace is holding up very well after a week. I only hear the clunk when I really hit a harsh bump, and its between 45 and 65 degrees outside and the car is cold. Before the credit card that would mean it would sound like driving down the street in a model T ford or vintage farm tractor. Constant clunking/rattle on every few revolutions of the wheels.

There is a photo of my credit card shim in the other thread of zillon's
I tried the credit card thing...doesn't appear to have changed anything.

On another note...I stopped by my local dealer and talked to the service manager. He looked up the TSB part #'s to see if any updated parts have made their way into the system...which he said nothing has changed.

I did tell him that the 2013's are coming out with strut tower reinforcement plates...which he found pretty interesting. He said "Ford might be waiting to see if any 2013's come back with the same complaint before saying the plate is a fix."

I told him about this forum, and he was very open to hearing our findings and trial/errors too. Nice to have a guy who is open to listening and problem solve.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1596
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That's excellent that you have a service manager willing to truly discuss the issue with you, instead of brushing it off and saying, "Oh, I've never heard of that," or "It's normal."

Also, I installed the updated brace in my car last night. So far, the effect is largely positive; I've yet to see how things fare in warmer temperatures, though.

I do have a small creaking issue, but I feel that I might have damaged my strut mounts by over-torquing the bolts, so I will be replacing them and I'll also be installing a fresh set of strut bearings. Since I preemptively ordered all the parts when I ordered the strut brace, I already have the parts on hand. I'm hoping that I can make some time to work on the car this weekend and hopefully get it done on Saturday.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #1597
12FOCUS S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98622
What I Drive: '13 FOCUS ST/'12 Mustang GT BBP

FF Reputation: 1 12FOCUS S Good Standing Member
Question ?

I have not checked my strut tower but I will soon and report back. We have new part numbers listed at Tousley?

2012 Ford Focus shows various different spring part numbers.

[url]http://tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2012/FORD/FOCUS/TITANIUM/

some of these part numbers do not match up to the above listed information....i was checking Titanium with 18" wheels....check for yourself......i see new part numbers listed for coil springs in various listings
Old 11-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #1598
12FOCUS S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98622
What I Drive: '13 FOCUS ST/'12 Mustang GT BBP

FF Reputation: 1 12FOCUS S Good Standing Member
Question ?

A TSB is soon in order from Ford. No less with the reporting on this site. There will be no excuse. They got away with the lousy shifting issues on the MT82/Manual 6-speed. (MGW shifter upgrade/fix. 400.00 fix) The Focus shifts better/easier than my 2012 GT/BREMBO Mustang....Ford got away with it and NHTSA relieved Ford of responsibility in the matter. Mustang shift linkage is like jello......

good luck with Ford on this issue.....
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #1599
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FOCUS S View Post
some of these part numbers do not match up to the above listed information....i was checking Titanium with 18" wheels....check for yourself......i see new part numbers listed for coil springs in various listings
The above chart needs to stop being quoted, as it erroneously assigns springs on a model basis. (Ti handling pkg front springs excluded)
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #1600
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
The above chart needs to stop being quoted, as it erroneously assigns springs on a model basis. (Ti handling pkg front springs excluded)
Crystal stated "The SE sports package doesn't modify the suspension; it'll be the same as the other 2012 SE models." That is NOT entirely accurate. Yes, the front is still a MacPherson strut and the rear is still a Control Blade. No, the springs and dampers are not the same. The accuracy of that chart is not really the issue here, the point was that the suspension components (springs/dampers) are indeed different over the model line.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks