Cracked windshield - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Land Rover uses wire mesh windshields In the U.S. Damn expensive. Heated wiper parks like on Roos, Hondas, and Toyotas are really good enough and these windshields are fairly inexpensive to replace, work just fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyherald View Post
Land Rover uses wire mesh windshields In the U.S. Damn expensive. Heated wiper parks like on Roos, Hondas, and Toyotas are really good enough and these windshields are fairly inexpensive to replace, work just fine!
Only the rear/ backlite glass has a heated wiper park on the Focus hatch in the U.S. the quick clear however would clear the entire glass much quicker than just heating the wiper park location alone on the front.

Of course its more expensive, as it is more complicated to make and the volumes are much lower, but with mass production down comes the price. The higher the unit volume of something the less it generally costs to produce.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #33
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
QuickClear would be sweet and as I live in an area that has wintery weather (SLC, UT) it would be much better and faster than scraping or pouring warm water over it.

How much current (amps) do those heaters use BTW?

Again, Rocky, thanks for your feedback...

Brian
Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #34
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
QuickClear would be sweet and as I live in an area that has wintery weather (SLC, UT) it would be much better and faster than scraping or pouring warm water over it.
I just searched google for QuickClear - turns out it suppresses herpes outbreaks as well. Well done, Ford!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #35
raptor1956
Focus Addict

I'm actually in a rental car about 80%+ as I travel for work and usually I'll use warm to very warm water to clear the ice as it's faster than scraping most of the time. Never broke a windshield doing that. I did, however, crack the windshield on a rental a few years back when I turned on the defroster. I'd left the defroster off until the car warmed up and within about 10 seconds of turning on the defroster the windshield cracked. I did not have a rock hit the car while I had it so it must have been damaged or stressed before I had it. National tried to force me to pay for it but my company, which does boatloads of business with National, convinced them to take a hike.

My previous car, a 2004 Toyota Matrix XR was traded in with 125,000 miles when I got the 2012 FF and the windshield on it, which was original, was so pitted and sandblasted it was sometimes difficult to see when driving into the Sun.

Brian
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #36
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Well, I finally had my cracked windshield replaced last Friday, but, just 3 days later, as a snow plow was driving past me the other way, I heard several things hit my windshield. Yes, after just 3 days my new windshield has at least 3 little stars on it right in front of the driver...

Brian
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #37
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine has now been hit at least 6 times. I'm not going to bother fixing them anymore. I'll just drive around with a cracked windshield for a year or two. I've been hit by rocks more in 6 months than in the last 6 years with other cars. Crazy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->