DCT issue/ Rear Main Seal - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I can't help but think that the tech should have replaced the transmission seal anyway (assuming that the TSB covering the transmission oil leak is applicable to your car).
EDIT: I agree! I don't know why he'd say the seals were fine. It sounds like he replaced them...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SEL2gen View Post
Now that my rear main seal and clutches have been replaced plus a reprogram...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
It's too bad Ford didn't include a "weep hole" in the clutch housing that would allow engine oil/trans fluid to escape and identify a problem. Or an access port at least. Would sure make diagnosis easier.
Good point.
Is there way to look in with inspection camera(like plumbers has) thur starter opening? I am trying to check it my self on long weekend. As of right now going tomorrow to independent trans shop. Will eat the diagnostic cost.
Sick of this jerkiness. So uncomfortable. Want to get to the bottom of it even at cost from my pocket. Cause stuck with it.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
seems more and more likely that significant transmission problems will occur on an early build at some point for many if not most owners...it's not a matter of if but when. is this a major design flaw? should i drive around with my breath held as I move up past 25k on my car?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
seems more and more likely that significant transmission problems will occur on an early build at some point for many if not most owners...it's not a matter of if but when. is this a major design flaw? should i drive around with my breath held as I move up past 25k on my car?
The problems described here seem to be mostly clutch-related, either from oil on the clutch plates or bad programming. If the symptoms are abrupt engagement, clutch chatter, etc., the trans itself shouldn't be harmed and should lead a long and uneventful life. Grinding noises though could mean gears are clashing in a way that puts metal bits in the gearbox fluid, which can't be helpful. So I guess it depends.

Most manufacturers are pretty good about extending warranties on components with an abnormally high rate of failure. Let's hope Ford will "step-up" if DCTs start failing even though they don't seem to care much if they're merely unpleasant to drive.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

As I mentioned yesterday, had second opinion on trans this morning. They test drive it, computer hooked up. And nothing found. They called original trans shop who did repair and had long conversation. Here what they said: ford told them to remove two clutch actuators to check inside for oil or debri.
PratoN, you should try this.
It's big enough opening to see SEAL damage; so the couldn't see anything wrong. They pulled starter out(just like I thought), couldn't find any. Last thing they did, split whole thing out. Found little (very small amount) of metal dust on the clutch. So they replaced it. At this point they been on the phone with ford for an hour and couldn't agree on anything. As of right now another appointment will be on Fri at the dealer for further investigation.
Guy at the shop feels like ford will do oil update/replacement. Will keep you guys posted.
Have a great Thanksgiving!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
As I mentioned yesterday, had second opinion on trans this morning. They test drive it, computer hooked up. And nothing found. They called original trans shop who did repair and had long conversation. Here what they said: ford told them to remove two clutch actuators to check inside for oil or debri.
PratoN, you should try this.
It's big enough opening to see SEAL damage; so the couldn't see anything wrong. They pulled starter out(just like I thought), couldn't find any. Last thing they did, split whole thing out. Found little (very small amount) of metal dust on the clutch. So they replaced it. At this point they been on the phone with ford for an hour and couldn't agree on anything. As of right now another appointment will be on Fri at the dealer for further investigation.
Guy at the shop feels like ford will do oil update/replacement. Will keep you guys posted.
Have a great Thanksgiving!!!
Thanks for the update! Yeah, the customer service guy talked about taking out the starter, but I don't actually know if my dealer did that since the trans guy had a hard enough time getting the clutch to slip in the first place (my latest reprogram makes it harder to slip the clutch while in drive - but it still does it... it's just more difficult. In select shift, I can get it to slip every time...)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Thanks for the update! Yeah, the customer service guy talked about taking out the starter, but I don't actually know if my dealer did that since the trans guy had a hard enough time getting the clutch to slip in the first place (my latest reprogram makes it harder to slip the clutch while in drive - but it still does it... it's just more difficult. In select shift, I can get it to slip every time...)
Tell them to go in thru two actuators on the top, I been told its best efficient way. I will keep you posted after FRI.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Tell them to go in thru two actuators on the top, I been told its best efficient way. I will keep you posted after FRI.
Now that I'm at 39k miles, if I decide that I want to shell out another $100 in labor, I'll let you know.

Funny, though - I've been complaining / getting transmission reflashes since like 20k miles. >.<
Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Now that I'm at 39k miles, if I decide that I want to shell out another $100 in labor, I'll let you know.

Funny, though - I've been complaining / getting transmission reflashes since like 20k miles. >.<
Try DIY, Iam pretty sure with couple ratchets and high deff camera, it could be done.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Try DIY, Iam pretty sure with couple ratchets and high deff camera, it could be done.
I probably could - I have access to all sorts of vehicle repair tools... I'm just afraid I'll screw something up and have to pay for it out of pocket. Or that might deny a claim because I opened it up or something. (Not that it really matters, I've already been denied multiple times. lol)

EDIT: If I decide to go through with opening it up myself and checking it out (through the starter or actuators) I'll let all of you know! My buddy lent his borescope to someone else for the weekend, so it'll have to wait until another weekend or, more likely, mid-December when I take the rest of my vacation for the year.

Last edited by PratoN; 11-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks