Cracked windshield - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Chips and cracks are such an issue here in Alberta that when I was getting insurance the company didn't want to give me glass coverage. It would have cost an extra $400 a year. A quick call to a glass place told me a new winshiled was $300 roughly for one. So no glass for me. It's a pain in the ass. I got a tiny chip in my windshield the second weekend I had the focus. I know where it is but it hasn't spread so I'll leave it be for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMark View Post
That must be why our windshields crack so easily. Seems like anything will chip these things. I convinced myself that I was just crazy but an odd type of windshield probably has at least a little effect on the durability. Do you have the option of getting a normal windshield as a replacement?
I haven't had to replace my windshield yet so am not sure what the options are. It's been smacked pretty good it's first year thanks to all the road construction going on over here but so far it hasn't cracked yet. Just three little nicks.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I've been driving for almost 40 years and have owned cars for 35 years and never cracked a windshield until now. I'm driving 40mph in a 40mph zone and someone in an SUV doing about 60mph passes me going the other way (me west he east) and as he passes I hear a pretty loud smack on the windshield but didn't see any damage. About 15 minutes later I notice a crack about 3-4 inches long halfway up and going all the way to the drivers side edge. #$#$$%!!! Another 20 minutes and the cracks about 6 inches long and it seems to have stabilized at 6 inches.

OK, I never had to replace a windshield before but this crack is too big and in a bad spot so it looks like I need to get it replaced. What would I expect to pay for a new windshield if I was to pay out of pocket? I have Geico insurance and I know I'm covered but what effect does replacing a windshield have on your premiums if I have Geico foot the bill? Is there anything else I need to know such as: where to get it replaced, where to avoid, what the effect is on my insurance?

BTW, the car is a 2012 FF Ti HB with about 12,400 miles and has otherwise been free of defects or issues (MFT, DCT, etc).

Brian
I install windshields for a living. Most windshields don't cost more than $250.00 installed. That said you definately want to replace it with a Carlite windshield. Carlite is sometimes more expensive but the quality is usually the best.
Does your windshield have a rain sensor? that drives up the cost. Your car is a 2012 so insist on a Carlite.
Once the windshield is installed it can be a hassle to get the glass shop to come back out to replace it if defective, especially if you don't go through insurance. For a 2012 you really should use insurance so you have a warranty through insurance as well as the glass shop. If you pay cash good luck getting customer service after install. If you have a leak, that could get expensive if water gets into the electronics.
if you don't go through insurance you will be responsible for repairs out of pocket.
Also consider getting your new windshield with a blue shade on the windshield. Great for summertime and when the sun is low in the Fall.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 3,967, Level 40
Points: 3,967, Level: 40 Points: 3,967, Level: 40 Points: 3,967, Level: 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyherald View Post
I install windshields for a living. Most windshields don't cost more than $250.00 installed. That said you definately want to replace it with a Carlite windshield. Carlite is sometimes more expensive but the quality is usually the best.
Does your windshield have a rain sensor? that drives up the cost. Your car is a 2012 so insist on a Carlite.
Once the windshield is installed it can be a hassle to get the glass shop to come back out to replace it if defective, especially if you don't go through insurance. For a 2012 you really should use insurance so you have a warranty through insurance as well as the glass shop. If you pay cash good luck getting customer service after install. If you have a leak, that could get expensive if water gets into the electronics.
if you don't go through insurance you will be responsible for repairs out of pocket.
Also consider getting your new windshield with a blue shade on the windshield. Great for summertime and when the sun is low in the Fall.

Rocky, great info, thanks for the input...

Yes, my 2012 FF Ti HB has the rain sensor so I'd expect it to cost a bit more -- maybe $50 more?

If I request Carlite glass and that's more than the Geico will authorize is that something I can cover the difference out of pocket?

Again, much thanks...

Brian
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Points 3,967, Level 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Just got off the phone with Geico and my coverage has a $250 deductible and the replacement is likely to cost about $360 so I'll be $250 out of pocket and Geico will cover about $110...

Brian
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 1,561, Level 22
Points: 1,561, Level: 22 Points: 1,561, Level: 22 Points: 1,561, Level: 22
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 TehMark Good Standing Member
my deductible with progressive is $500 :(

could always be worse
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

windshield

Quote:

Yes, my 2012 FF Ti HB has the rain sensor so I'd expect it to cost a bit more -- maybe $50 more?

If I request Carlite glass and that's more than the Geico will authorize is that something I can cover the difference out of pocket?

Again, much thanks...

Brian
Its a 2012 so Geico should have no problem with it. The guys that have the Ford Super Duty trucks have "Super Duty" Carlite windshields and most insurance companies have no problem authorizing those windshields even back to 2007 Model years. The big thing is requesting Carlite when you make the appointment with the glass shop Geico recommends. If they don't bring Carlite to the appointment turn them away and make them bring the right glass. Although Volvo isn't a similar car, I've had rainsensors on some cars not work with aftermarket glass for some reason.
Carlite may not have Blue shade windshields Available yet. I can't get a blue shade carlite windshield with "RANGER" in the third visor frit for my 2007 Ranger, only green tint with no shade, but I can get Carlite with blue shade without RANGER on it. anyway, emphasize Carlite to Geico, you shouldn't have to pay more.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:

Again, much thanks...

Brian
You can cover the difference out of pocket in that case but hopefully geico shouldn't make you do that. If they do change insurance companies!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Points 3,967, Level 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyherald View Post
Its a 2012 so Geico should have no problem with it. The guys that have the Ford Super Duty trucks have "Super Duty" Carlite windshields and most insurance companies have no problem authorizing those windshields even back to 2007 Model years. The big thing is requesting Carlite when you make the appointment with the glass shop Geico recommends. If they don't bring Carlite to the appointment turn them away and make them bring the right glass. Although Volvo isn't a similar car, I've had rainsensors on some cars not work with aftermarket glass for some reason.
Carlite may not have Blue shade windshields Available yet. I can't get a blue shade carlite windshield with "RANGER" in the third visor frit for my 2007 Ranger, only green tint with no shade, but I can get Carlite with blue shade without RANGER on it. anyway, emphasize Carlite to Geico, you shouldn't have to pay more.
When I called Safelite this morning they indicated there was only one option for my car -- the OEM glass. Perhaps since the Mk3 Focus is still relatively new the aftermarket glass companies haven't yet come out with other options. How common is it that there be only one option, the OEM glass?

Brian
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
When I called Safelite this morning they indicated there was only one option for my car -- the OEM glass. Perhaps since the Mk3 Focus is still relatively new the aftermarket glass companies haven't yet come out with other options. How common is it that there be only one option, the OEM glass?

Brian
Out of curiosity, how much is the oem glass?

Bookmarks & Social Networks