intake manifold butterfly flap issues - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
JBZZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55935
What I Drive: 09 Focus SE, 07 ZX3 SAP (Traded In)

FF Reputation: 0 JBZZX3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah... 2.0's have the tumble flaps.. I had an 07 ZX3 SES and the flaps went bad... fortunately it just threw a lot of bits of plastic and not any metal.. dealer cleaned it all out and replaced with another manifold. Ran fine after that. I even got a nice little bump in MPG. I think IMRC's help with low end throttle response and MPG... that is what they are designed for.... so for around town.. they do what they are supposed to do.. but they aren't reliable in the long run. If you keep the car long enough.. you will replace them again and that was one of the 2 reasons I got rid of my 07. The IMRC were deleted in later model Focus's my 09 does not have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
ronj100
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106421
What I Drive: 2005 tan focus zx4

FF Reputation: 1 ronj100 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
You can buy a new one from Ford for $200. or you can remove them altogether but you'd need a tune, if you remove them.
How do find out the new tune specs? Is there a detailed thread on ths somewhere?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj100 View Post
How do find out the new tune specs? Is there a detailed thread on ths somewhere?
Thats where Randy/Vick at Fwerk's or Tom Focus power comes in when you buy a sct xcal 3 flasher. Let them know what mods you have or going to do. I recomend egr & rear o2 senser delete. The regular fuel tune is a waste as most of the performance comes from the premium fuel tune. 2.00-4.00 a tank is worth it. Do you or are you going to add a header?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
ronj100
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Thats where Randy/Vick at Fwerk's or Tom Focus power comes in when you buy a sct xcal 3 flasher. Let them know what mods you have or going to do. I recomend egr & rear o2 senser delete. The regular fuel tune is a waste as most of the performance comes from the premium fuel tune. 2.00-4.00 a tank is worth it. Do you or are you going to add a header?
Dude,
I'm just a passenger car owner who has some noisy flappers. However, I am a mfg engineer so I have some tech knowledge. So anyway, say that again as if you were talking to a small child or a golden retriever.
If I pull out these flappers, what would I tell my mechanic about how to retune the engine?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj100 View Post
Dude,
I'm just a passenger car owner who has some noisy flappers. However, I am a mfg engineer so I have some tech knowledge. So anyway, say that again as if you were talking to a small child or a golden retriever.
If I pull out these flappers, what would I tell my mechanic about how to retune the engine?
On the drivers side below the steering wheel, there is a obd2 connector= (onboard diagnose) connector. For tech to plug in their IDS computer= (intergrated diagnose system) computer, to figure out codes & run programs with. A Xcal3 by SCT is a flasher that you plug into the obd2 connecter & reflashs the pcm(power conrol modu.) By reflashing the pcm is like= in old cars w/ carbs/distubiters, where you change the timing by turning the dist. either advance or retarding it & recurving it w/ lighter or heavier springs for how fast & how slow you want the timing to come in. And you also have how far you want the curve to come in to. And then there is the carb to adjust. I think you got the just of it. The factory has set the pcm up for a very broad range for a lot of different drivers. A tuner= a flasher makes your car so much more drivable= a lot smoother than you can think. Say like a electric r/c car w/ a electronic speed control= one has steps ever 500 & the better one has them ever 1000 times. The one w/ more steps is going to be a lot more lineier or smoother than the one w/ less steps. So you buy the sct xcal3 & plug it in & down load the tune your self in a few minutes. It pulls the oem out 1st & then downloads the new & improved one. I hope that helps you. Oh & if you have issues w/ the imrc= tumble flaps, (you'll need to remove them & then you'd need a tune for that) >>>or replace the manifold w/ a new one, which is 'bout $200.<<<
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #26
ronj100
Focus Rookie

thanks

Yep, that made sense.
That info also helped me find some online tutorials.
Sweet.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that,

Bookmarks & Social Networks