IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input. - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #111
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrigan View Post
Don't forget pics of the install.
Will do, for sure.

And today's been a quiet day - worked 9-5, did laundry, cleaned the house a bit, and now I'm finally sitting down to eat. I had fun this weekend, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #112
3focuslater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80943
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE/ Black/Sync/Auto/Moon

FF Reputation: 1 3focuslater Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Alright everyone, I hate to be a bother, but I (and everyone else with this issue) really need your help.

I've been heavily involved in trying to get rid of the suspension clunking issue that plagues the vehicles of many users here (see the master clunk thread HERE), including my own. I've replaced several parts on my own dime, with limited success. However, the noise has always returned.

Recently, a fellow member with a new 2013 Focus (late-August production) brought to light a discrepancy between strut tower braces used on Foci of various production dates. Under my own research, I have found that the updated strut tower brace has been issued different part number (#DV6Z-16A200A)

So, in an effort to hopefully correlate clunking suspensions with specific strut tower versions, I've developed a survey. However, to give you some background before you complete the survey, please view the following:

The following photo is from an early August production Focus ST (FF member: earthling_david, suspension does clunk)

And here is photo from a late-August production 2013 Focus ST. Take note of the reinforcing plate added below the factory strut tower brace that is conspicuously missing from the previous photo. (FocusST.org member: Kragbax, suspension does not clunk)

If your suspension clunks, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...B1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If your suspension doesn't clunk, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...B1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If you completed my old survey, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...B1Zmc6MA#gid=0

Thanks, everyone. Your responses are greatly appreciated!

I did the survey for you this morning..I do hope we can get to the bottom of this clunking noise.. I just don't get it that for 2000 miles it was fine and one day with sterio turned off I hear this noise out of the blue. Hmm things should get quieter over time not louder so I think... can anyone tell me why the standard answer for car issues at the dealer is No Trouble Found! its like they never take the time to really try to fix the issues .. there should be a person at the dealer that researches issues like these and tries all the ideas people come up with. After all it is a process of elimination isnt it... All the old time mechanics that I know will work till their fingers bleed to fix a car, but these days they are appear they are looking at the clock so they don't miss their breaks or they are walking through the show room goofing off.. Sorry that is just what I see, but what do I know about all this suspension stuff I depend this forum and the mechanics to fix my problems..
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #113
Zillon
Focus Addict

Well, I can assure you that I'm at least doing what I can to get to the bottom of the issue.

I have the updated strut tower brace ordered, and I should be installing it tonight as long as UPS puts it on the right truck for delivery.

I'll be keeping everyone posted on my developments, and if successful, I'll post a how-to on updating the strut tower brace yourself.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #114
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,451, Level 65
Points: 9,451, Level: 65 Points: 9,451, Level: 65 Points: 9,451, Level: 65
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Fixed the double post for you zillon.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #115
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 13,520, Level 75
Points: 13,520, Level: 75 Points: 13,520, Level: 75 Points: 13,520, Level: 75
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Well, I can assure you that I'm at least doing what I can to get to the bottom of the issue.

I have the updated strut tower brace ordered, and I should be installing it tonight as long as UPS puts it on the right truck for delivery.

I'll be keeping everyone posted on my developments, and if successful, I'll post a how-to on updating the strut tower brace yourself.
If it fixes the problem when we need to get Ford to reimburse you and fix all our stuff the way you fixed yours.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #116
Zillon
Focus Addict

Hah, Ford, reimburse me? Surely you jest!

I do hope this works and they apply the fix to everyone's cars, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #117
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 13,520, Level 75
Points: 13,520, Level: 75 Points: 13,520, Level: 75 Points: 13,520, Level: 75
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hah, Ford, reimburse me? Surely you jest!

I do hope this works and they apply the fix to everyone's cars, though.
They should reimburse you and pay you Engineer pay for your time, since their engineers don't seem to have a Fing clue
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #118
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,259, Level 56
Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I couldn't get a good photo, but mine has the reinforcing plate underneath. March 2011 build, SE sport package.

No major clunk that I've been able to hear over about 30k miles.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #119
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
I couldn't get a good photo, but mine has the reinforcing plate underneath. March 2011 build, SE sport package.

No major clunk that I've been able to hear over about 30k miles.
If you don't mind, add your input to the survey.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #120
3focuslater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80943
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE/ Black/Sync/Auto/Moon

FF Reputation: 1 3focuslater Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:

You know after reading all this on the site, I really paid close attention to the noise in my car, no radio and no heat, nothing on at all... Drove down the worst roads around here. Did not do it once sounded fine, except for what I would call normal sounds ... It did do when I was driving for a while( so when it was warmed up) and going under 25 mph over some speed bumps and minor imperfections in the parking lot. However, I did notice clunking and also a crunching / creaking along with the clunks. Would all of this noise that I am hearing be all related??? It all sounds like its coming from the front more so on the drivers side... When your driving along over 30 mph it sounds fine and rides smooth. It is becoming annoying... and I have not been dealing with this as long as some of you guys have been.. I really do hope that a recall or TSB does come out.. I have a 5 year note and would hate to think that I am going to have to endure this for the length of the note... Just add, I think noise or no noise the car feels fine and with the music on or back ground noise I would never know there was anything going on up front by the way it feels, but the way it sounds you would think something was about to fall off the car..

Bookmarks & Social Networks