Interior Lighting Question - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,183
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
No. There is more going on than that button. My button was not lit. I opened the doors. Nothing. Went to eat. Came back. Opened the doors. Got light. Why? Beats me. Some other factor is at play that I have not yet put my finger on.




Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile. Typos and terseness are to be expected.
Was it darker or more overcast the second time? That would indicate that the ambient light sensor is doing its job.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast
 
Doctor Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Fan#: 82372
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

Posts: 99
FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
No. There is more going on than that button. My button was not lit. I opened the doors. Nothing. Went to eat. Came back. Opened the doors. Got light. Why? Beats me. Some other factor is at play that I have not yet put my finger on.
This happens every time I leave work. Ambient light doesn't seem to make a difference (ie: The dome light won't come on in my dark parking lot, but if I stop at a gas station on my way home it will probably come on even under the bright gas station lights).
Doctor Drew is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104381
Location: Vancouver, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Posts: 128
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Turn your door dome light switch on your headliner on then off, same thing happen sometimes to me if my gf turns on the lights, and press' the wrong button.
Looks like this did the trick. Thank you all!
dutd33 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104381
Location: Vancouver, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Posts: 128
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
This happens every time I leave work. Ambient light doesn't seem to make a difference (ie: The dome light won't come on in my dark parking lot, but if I stop at a gas station on my way home it will probably come on even under the bright gas station lights).
Try this the next time you get into your car. Turn on the car, open the door, keep it open. Hold the Ambient Light button (not sure if that's the correct terminology) for five seconds, the lights should turn on. Do it again to turn it off. Close your door, drive off and you should be fine.
dutd33 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104381
Location: Vancouver, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Posts: 128
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Was it darker or more overcast the second time? That would indicate that the ambient light sensor is doing its job.
Ahhhh, this car is too smart for me LOL. This must be an energy saving feature (i.e. you don't want your interior lights to come on when there's light out), but like one of the other posters stated I think I think I prefer the old school way better hahaha.
dutd33 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast
 
JonathanGennick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105685
Location: Munising, MI
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

Posts: 121
FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Was it darker or more overcast the second time? That would indicate that the ambient light sensor is doing its job.
Was well after dark both times. I suppose parking-lot lighting could have been different though. First was out back in the Target parking lot. Dome light stayed off. Later was in the Culver's parking lot, where the dome light did light up. Was the Culver's parking lot not as well lit as Target's? Possibly. I would need to go back and look to be sure.

Is there really an ambient light sensor trying to second-guess the dome light? I don't recall reading about that in the manual. Kind of a silly thing, imho. I'd rather have the predictability.
JonathanGennick is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,183
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
Was well after dark both times. I suppose parking-lot lighting could have been different though. First was out back in the Target parking lot. Dome light stayed off. Later was in the Culver's parking lot, where the dome light did light up. Was the Culver's parking lot not as well lit as Target's? Possibly. I would need to go back and look to be sure.

Is there really an ambient light sensor trying to second-guess the dome light? I don't recall reading about that in the manual. Kind of a silly thing, imho. I'd rather have the predictability.
The ambient light sensor controls the auto lamps as well as other lighting within the vehicle.

Per page 126 of the fifth printing of the 2012 Ford Focus Owner's guide
Quote:
Ambient lighting (if equipped)
Illuminates the interior with a choice of several colors. The
ambient lighting control switch is located in the overhead console.
Rotate the control knob past the first detent to activate and adjust
to the desired brightness.
Press the left color pallet switch to cycle through the color
choices.
Press the right search mode switch to activate all dome lamps and all
ambient lighting. Press the search mode switch again to deactivate the
dome lamps and return the ambient lighting to the previously selected
color.
The ambient lights come on whenever the ignition is in the on position,
the headlamps are on and the outside ambient light level is low.

Note: The ambient lights will stay on until the ignition is placed in the
off position and the vehicle is locked or the accessory delay timer
expires.
Pg 168
Quote:
Illuminated entry
The interior lamps and select exterior lamps illuminate when the remote
entry system is used to unlock the door(s).
The illuminated entry system will turn off the lights if:
the ignition is on,
the remote transmitter lock control is pressed, or
after 25 seconds of illumination.
The lights will not turn off if:
they have been turned on with the dimmer control, or
any door is open.
Basically its more complicated than just on or off.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast
 
JonathanGennick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105685
Location: Munising, MI
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

Posts: 121
FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
The lights will not turn off if:...or
• any door is open.
So why did my interior lighting remain off when my door was open? That's what gets me. My door was open. I was stowing items in the car that I had bought at Target. Where was my light?

BTW, I do not have the "ambient lighting" option. I've just got the simple dome lighting system in the roof.

The mere fact that we are having this discussion suggests that the system is overly complicated. Some engineer at Ford got carried away. When a door is open, I want my light. It really should be that simple.
JonathanGennick is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
cobie56
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
So why did my interior lighting remain off when my door was open? That's what gets me. My door was open. I was stowing items in the car that I had bought at Target. Where was my light?

BTW, I do not have the "ambient lighting" option. I've just got the simple dome lighting system in the roof.

The mere fact that we are having this discussion suggests that the system is overly complicated. Some engineer at Ford got carried away. When a door is open, I want my light. It really should be that simple.
I agree.. there are several things such as this one, that are overly complicated in this car.. Engineers need to simplify things... it's often better and cheaper. and, while we're on the 'engineering' thing... why is the glove box designed so that it's pretty much inaccessable from the driver's seat? dumb..
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
riparke
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95781
Location: Gardner, KS
What I Drive: 2012,red,se,hatch,manual,sport pkg

Posts: 104
FF Reputation: 1 riparke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"The illuminated entry system will turn off the lights if:
• the ignition is on,"

Why do my lights come on and stay on when the car is started till time out. Why do they come on after going off when I'm driving. All doors are closed and the display shows no door open. Checked and the display shows each door when open and closed.
riparke is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.