Rattle at base of windshield - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6-sp manual

Points 1,466, Level 21
Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rattle at base of windshield

Now that it's getting cold out I'm getting a REALLY annoying rattle at the base of the windshield. It only happens at speeds over 50 MPH and sounds like something being blown by the wind.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I want to point my delaership in the right direction before I bring it in becasue they seem to be unable to do it themselves on previous visits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
I took mine in last week for a constant "rattle on the right", only above 45 mph. I thought it was in the lower passenger door area but they just called an hour ago and said they finally found it, something to do with windshield molding. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and will post more details once I know more.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
spike8807
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74430
What I Drive: 2013 performance Blue ST2

FF Reputation: 1 spike8807 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Have the same noise on my st
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Points 16,800, Level 82
Points: 16,800, Level: 82 Points: 16,800, Level: 82 Points: 16,800, Level: 82
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Mine just started to do this recently.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
Now that it's getting cold out I'm getting a REALLY annoying rattle at the base of the windshield. It only happens at speeds over 50 MPH and sounds like something being blown by the wind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8807 View Post
Have the same noise on my st
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
Mine just started to do this recently...
Hey folks,

The best first step is to get your vehicle to the dealership so they can inspect. Ford certified techs are specially trained to track down mystery noises like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I took mine in last week for a constant "rattle on the right", only above 45 mph. I thought it was in the lower passenger door area but they just called an hour ago and said they finally found it, something to do with windshield molding. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and will post more details once I know more.
Thanks for sharing your diagnosis, kam327! Hopefully this will help out the other folks when they go in for service.

Have a great day, everyone!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
I dont know if this can help:

I had the right connector wiper motor TSB done this summer. Upon taking my car back, I have notice that the exterior black molding that cover the whole base of the windshield (and the wiper motors) was not clipped/snapped correctly back in place. I had to do it myself. Theyre was a good 1/8 inch of open space between the molding and the base of the windshield. The molding/trim piece should fit very snuggly against the base of the windshield.

Doing this, I also noticed that the 2 large vents located near the wiper arms had loose cover on them. I have secured the cover so they dont jiggle anymore.

While upgrading my air filter to a K&N, I have noticed that the battery cover was loose aswell...The cover is in 2 pieces. You must secure the rear part first, and you are going to love this if you got big hands. Once the rear part is firmly secured, you can attached the front part to it.

Doing this got rid of a weird buzzing giant fly like sound I had when accelerating with the car. And no, it wasnt the actual car engine noise :)

Also, check for loose roof molding ''rails''. One member here had one of them ''fly away'' due to faulty assembly. I have a loose one on the right side but I dont think it's loose enuff to fly away. I keep an aye on this gy every time I wash the car to see if it becomes ''looser''

Cheers
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6-sp manual

Points 1,466, Level 21
Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
I took a look at mine. Apparently the plastic cowl snaps into a channel at the base of the windshield. Mine was not. I snapped it back in and the noise seems to have gone away. The only problem I have is that right above a ground for the passenger side wiper motor it looks like they burned through the plastic to do the recall. I'm waaaaaay not happy with this because they just put one of those caps with the teeth on it in the hole but it doesn't even come close to fitting so it may be a source of a rattle still. I'm going to take it to my service advisor on Thursday and see what he can do about it. I hope they replace so there is no hole anymore.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mine seems to rattle at the top by the mirror, not the bottom. Doesn't leak though so I haven't bothered to take it in.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
I have the same thing going on, I'm going to look in the places you guys suggested tomorrow. The dealer took a look at it when I went to get my oil changed but of course it wasn't making noise then. If one of these suggestions solve the problem one of you guys is my new hero.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
I dont know if this can help:

I had the right connector wiper motor TSB done this summer. Upon taking my car back, I have notice that the exterior black molding that cover the whole base of the windshield (and the wiper motors) was not clipped/snapped correctly back in place. I had to do it myself. Theyre was a good 1/8 inch of open space between the molding and the base of the windshield. The molding/trim piece should fit very snuggly against the base of the windshield.

Doing this, I also noticed that the 2 large vents located near the wiper arms had loose cover on them. I have secured the cover so they dont jiggle anymore.

While upgrading my air filter to a K&N, I have noticed that the battery cover was loose aswell...The cover is in 2 pieces. You must secure the rear part first, and you are going to love this if you got big hands. Once the rear part is firmly secured, you can attached the front part to it.

Doing this got rid of a weird buzzing giant fly like sound I had when accelerating with the car. And no, it wasnt the actual car engine noise :)

Also, check for loose roof molding ''rails''. One member here had one of them ''fly away'' due to faulty assembly. I have a loose one on the right side but I dont think it's loose enuff to fly away. I keep an aye on this gy every time I wash the car to see if it becomes ''looser''

Cheers
Great suggestions, Kaaru. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
I took a look at mine. Apparently the plastic cowl snaps into a channel at the base of the windshield. Mine was not. I snapped it back in and the noise seems to have gone away. The only problem I have is that right above a ground for the passenger side wiper motor it looks like they burned through the plastic to do the recall. I'm waaaaaay not happy with this because they just put one of those caps with the teeth on it in the hole but it doesn't even come close to fitting so it may be a source of a rattle still. I'm going to take it to my service advisor on Thursday and see what he can do about it. I hope they replace so there is no hole anymore.
Hey, JayDeZ,

Let me know how it goes at the dealership; I'm always happy to step in and help if you need me.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.