Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #101
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can contact our Ford Customer Service representative if you have problems with your dealer fixing the car. I don't think you will. It seems to me that your problem is a complete failure. The only problem might be waiting for parts.

Electric steering = really bad idea. All manufacturers are having problems with electric steering right now. IMO they would've been better off to do like what Toyota did with the old MR2s (Volvo did it too)- put an electric motor turning a power steering pump.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #102
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13titanium_perfblue View Post
Just had this happend to me today. 2013 Titanium, 1200 miles, 6 weeks old. Was parked in a parking lot, wheels straight forward. Turned car on and instantly got this fault message and beeping noise. There was no stress on the wheels or steering at all as the tires were forward and no movement was occurring. Tried driving forward, steering wheel very hard to turn. Turned the car off and back on, same thing. Dealer was only a mile away, so I was able to muscle it to the dealer. They haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Not a good situation for such a new vehicle.
Hi 13titanium_perfblue,

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so that they can assist. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
You can contact our Ford Customer Service representative if you have problems with your dealer fixing the car. I don't think you will. It seems to me that your problem is a complete failure. The only problem might be waiting for parts...
Thanks for the shout-out, whynotthinkwhynot! I'm on the case!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #103
MOFU69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111116
What I Drive: 2013 white focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MOFU69 Good Standing Member
Hey guys, new member, and came upon this site about the whole steering assist fault as I'm bringing my new 2013 back to the dealership on monday for the same problem. 3 times it happened to me now, when I shut the car off and start it back up again, it all good so the service manager said he's gonna look at it monday morning. BTW i'm from Ottawa, Canada
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #104
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFU69 View Post
Hey guys, new member, and came upon this site about the whole steering assist fault as I'm bringing my new 2013 back to the dealership on monday for the same problem. 3 times it happened to me now, when I shut the car off and start it back up again, it all good so the service manager said he's gonna look at it monday morning. BTW i'm from Ottawa, Canada
Welcome to the forum, MOFU69! I recommend contacting my friends over at Ford Canada so they can assist you; they can be reached at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #105
MOFU69
Focus Rookie

Quote:
*Update* just got word that it's the steering gear needs replacing, they have ordered the parts and should be working on it tomorrow
Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #106
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Electric steering = really bad idea. All manufacturers are having problems with electric steering right now. IMO they would've been better off to do like what Toyota did with the old MR2s (Volvo did it too)- put an electric motor turning a power steering pump.
Agree

what sucks is several of the new cars I like have it, and that is a deal killer right ow.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #107
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
*Update* just got word that it's the steering gear needs replacing, they have ordered the parts and should be working on it tomorrow
I'm glad to hear that they're working hard for you, MOFU69! Thanks for the update.

Crystal

Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #108
MOFU69
Focus Rookie

*and another up-date* apparantly they are changing the rack and pinion now so won't be getting the car back till about thursday-friday
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #109
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114277
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BZK6351 Good Standing Member
Howdy! Newbie here.

I had the same thing happen with my 2012 SE hatchback.

Just backed out of the garage and heard the "do da loop", looked down at the message screen and it said "Steering assist fault, service required".

I immediately turned it off then on again and it didn't do it that time.

The third time I started it, it did it again.

The steering got really heavy and, since I have about 3,000 miles left on the warranty, I called my local Ford dealer for instruction.

Mind you, this is going on 4:00 PM on a Saturday, fortunately they were still open.

I talked to the service manager and he said to have it towed in and they'll take a look at it on Monday.

Long, familiar story, short (I know, too late), they had the car for three days and could not duplicate the error code.

They said the only bulletin on the car was for a possible frayed wire under the battery, which my car didn't have.

I took the car back on Wednesday and it's been running beautifully.

It's still a little disconcerting knowing that it might happen at any time though.

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I've been driving Honda's since 1987 and, after reading reviews of this car in magazines, took the plunge on a Ford.

I hope I don't regret my decision.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #110
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114277
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BZK6351 Good Standing Member
Not sure if it's worth anything but there is an NHTSA Technical Service Bulletin for this problem.

#10039118.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->