Cracked windshield - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cracked windshield

I've been driving for almost 40 years and have owned cars for 35 years and never cracked a windshield until now. I'm driving 40mph in a 40mph zone and someone in an SUV doing about 60mph passes me going the other way (me west he east) and as he passes I hear a pretty loud smack on the windshield but didn't see any damage. About 15 minutes later I notice a crack about 3-4 inches long halfway up and going all the way to the drivers side edge. #$#$$%!!! Another 20 minutes and the cracks about 6 inches long and it seems to have stabilized at 6 inches.

OK, I never had to replace a windshield before but this crack is too big and in a bad spot so it looks like I need to get it replaced. What would I expect to pay for a new windshield if I was to pay out of pocket? I have Geico insurance and I know I'm covered but what effect does replacing a windshield have on your premiums if I have Geico foot the bill? Is there anything else I need to know such as: where to get it replaced, where to avoid, what the effect is on my insurance?

BTW, the car is a 2012 FF Ti HB with about 12,400 miles and has otherwise been free of defects or issues (MFT, DCT, etc).

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Most insurance companies have a special rider on the policy specifically about windshield replacement.
It is a common problem.
Have a specialty place do it. NOT the dealer (who never replaces windshields)
The specialty places do windshields ALL the time. And can do it perfectly in their sleep.
Dealers never do windshields and will mess it up, unless they send it out to the specialty shop anyway...
Call your insurance co about it.
It is not going to cause any problems with insurance.
(though if you get rebates for 'no claim', that will be gone for one cycle of the rebate)
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Call Geico. They should get the appointment for replacement all set up for you. You'll get a call from the glass company confirming everything. Nothing will happen to your premium.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
VAfromMN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST & '04 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
Should be no problem, but it depends on the insurance laws in your state. Here in Virginia, comprehensive claims like a cracked windshield cannot be held against you in terms of increasing your premiums. My daughter and son-in-law were claims adjusters for Geico. I would check the Yellow Pages for glass repair companies in your area. Or just Google them! At any rate, it ultimately depends on how much your deductible is as to whether or not you want to foot the bill yourself. But I would say there would be absolutely no impact on your premiums.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I'll have to put off getting the windshield replaced until after I get back from my next trip (I leave early tomorrow). The crack is now 12 inches long...

Brian
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
The above...

And whoever you end up using, make sure they use glass from a quality brand.

The cheaper glass will crack and pit easier, etc., resulting in yet another replacement.

Personally, I insist on PPG, but there are other good brands.

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
A year ago these windshields were extremely expensive ~$600 so I'll be curious how much yours runs. I have cruddy progressive and they don't replace my windshield without dipping into my deductible so I've just been dealing with the crack in mine for about 9 months.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
I've read that the Focus has an acoustic windshield, something to keep in mind while you're shopping around for a new one.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4404306
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
I've read that the Focus has an acoustic windshield, something to keep in mind while you're shopping around for a new one.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4404306
That must be why our windshields crack so easily. Seems like anything will chip these things. I convinced myself that I was just crazy but an odd type of windshield probably has at least a little effect on the durability. Do you have the option of getting a normal windshield as a replacement?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine has been smacked at least 3 times now. One required a repair, but did not crack. I think it's because the windshiled is so damn big in this car there's just a much larger area for rocks to impact. When I called around various shops the cheapest OEM replacement I could get was around $350.

Bookmarks & Social Networks