Ford Buy Back! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,890
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I see: this is Ford we're talking about...
What's wrong with the DCT in it's current form?

If Ford had a "do over", they would use the DCT minus the bad seal.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast
 
Supramk3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96347
Location: Sandpoint, ID
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S 31.01.2012 BD

Posts: 300
FF Reputation: 3 Supramk3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
IMO, your car is not a lemon at all. The problem is bad service. If your transmission is not working properly, the dealer should fix it.

If the dealer is either unwilling or unable to fix your car, do you buy another car from them and pray that it doesn't break?
Id try a different dealer and see if tge problem id fixed, the ptoblem may be the service dept at his current dealership.

Sent from the HO KID network using FF Mobile
__________________
2012 Ford Focus S, Silver 4DR w/ Manual Trans, Federal SS657 205/65R15s, Tinted Taillights, Muffler Delete
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Dark Green, 4.0L Inline 6, Cooper STs, Leather
Supramk3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
dan50
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,152
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
What's wrong with the DCT in it's current form?

If Ford had a "do over", they would use the DCT minus the bad seal.
Gosh, just read around the forum. I know the seals are an issue (and continue to be) as is the mediocre dealer service network. Also, mysterious refusals to go into gear, an unpredictable "learning process", half-baked software made only somewhat better after several revisions, etc.

Add that to the marginal mpg improvement the DCT offers and the number of people who, when buying a mass-market car, expect conventional behavior, and you don't have a winning combination. Ask Praton what's wrong with the DCT in its current form.

Mine behaves OK after a really bad first 5,000 miles, but I have very low confidence it will continue to do so. Finally, you may want to ask yourself why the Focus has substantially more incentive cash on the hood than its competitors despite being the most stylish of the lot.

If yours has always worked great, I'm happy for you. That is far from a universal experience though.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87069
Location: OTTAWA, Canada
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Posts: 88
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch View Post
Well ladies and gents, I have reached that point... I have owned "Casper" for 18 months and in that time I have put 31,142 miles on her. (Keep in mind I was out of the country for 6 of the 18 months of ownership...) Sadly though my experience with her has been nothing but headaches - I have had to bring her to the dealership for transmission issues 14 times (not counting regular service related issues - TSB's - Recalls - oil changes - new tires - etc), and half of those times required a two or even three day stay at the dealership... So after being without my car for two days due to my transmission, I decided that enough is enough. Even the service adviser at the dealership I have started using since moving told me that until Ford comes up with a permanent fix I am stuck coming back every few weeks for the transmission to be "reprogrammed" with the latest patch. After hearing that and brooding about it the entire ride home I decided to write Ford Motor Company, notifying them in writing that the problem was still there and if they don't take radical steps to correct this issue I will be forced to pursue my legal options provided to me under the Missouri lemon law. I also included in that letter a copy of every service record I have showing my complaint of a transmission problem plus my retail installment contract showing exactly how much I paid for the vehicle plus all the money I put as a down payment. In the letter I gave them two options buy the car back from me or switch me into a comparably priced and equipped vehicle that I approve of. If they do the later you can rest assured I will either be driving the Focus ST (it only comes with a manual transmission so I shouldn't have the shuddering, hesitation or grinding that I am currently experiencing) or I will abandon the Focus line all together and get into the nicest Fusion I can for 29,000. I also wrote in the letter that they need to re-imburse me all the tax, tags, title and motor vehicle inspection fees I paid to get the Focus road ready.

Anyways, I will let you know what I hear back from them. I gave them ten business days to respond before I start executing on the promise to report them to the BBB, and Missouri Attorney General. This is probably showing me as a sucker, but even with the headache this car is for me - I still LOVE Ford. I am hoping that they stand behind their product and pave the way for me to trade into a different Ford.
Did your dealer replace the clutches on your focus?
Sprint is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
mmmfloorpie
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Fan#: 72039
Location: Ontario, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic SE

Posts: 94
FF Reputation: 1 mmmfloorpie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch View Post
Well ladies and gents, I have reached that point... I have owned "Casper" for 18 months and in that time I have put 31,142 miles on her. (Keep in mind I was out of the country for 6 of the 18 months of ownership...) Sadly though my experience with her has been nothing but headaches - I have had to bring her to the dealership for transmission issues 14 times (not counting regular service related issues - TSB's - Recalls - oil changes - new tires - etc), and half of those times required a two or even three day stay at the dealership... So after being without my car for two days due to my transmission, I decided that enough is enough. Even the service adviser at the dealership I have started using since moving told me that until Ford comes up with a permanent fix I am stuck coming back every few weeks for the transmission to be "reprogrammed" with the latest patch. After hearing that and brooding about it the entire ride home I decided to write Ford Motor Company, notifying them in writing that the problem was still there and if they don't take radical steps to correct this issue I will be forced to pursue my legal options provided to me under the Missouri lemon law. I also included in that letter a copy of every service record I have showing my complaint of a transmission problem plus my retail installment contract showing exactly how much I paid for the vehicle plus all the money I put as a down payment. In the letter I gave them two options buy the car back from me or switch me into a comparably priced and equipped vehicle that I approve of. If they do the later you can rest assured I will either be driving the Focus ST (it only comes with a manual transmission so I shouldn't have the shuddering, hesitation or grinding that I am currently experiencing) or I will abandon the Focus line all together and get into the nicest Fusion I can for 29,000. I also wrote in the letter that they need to re-imburse me all the tax, tags, title and motor vehicle inspection fees I paid to get the Focus road ready.

Anyways, I will let you know what I hear back from them. I gave them ten business days to respond before I start executing on the promise to report them to the BBB, and Missouri Attorney General. This is probably showing me as a sucker, but even with the headache this car is for me - I still LOVE Ford. I am hoping that they stand behind their product and pave the way for me to trade into a different Ford.
How did you put so many miles on it for being out of the country for 6 months?
mmmfloorpie is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,185
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfloorpie View Post
How did you put so many miles on it for being out of the country for 6 months?
That's only 2595.17 miles per month for the 12 months that they drove the car on average. That does seem a little high but at 30 days/ month that would only be 86.5 miles/ day. I had been doing 105 + miles a day just a few years ago, now mind you that was alternated with days of not going very far as I was rotating in and out of university and internship rotations.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
12_T_Hatch
Focus Enthusiast
 
12_T_Hatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87898
Location: Ocala, FL
What I Drive: 12, White Platinum Metallic, Hatch

Posts: 71
FF Reputation: 1 12_T_Hatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfloorpie View Post
How did you put so many miles on it for being out of the country for 6 months?


Simple, I drove more the 12 months I was in country...
12_T_Hatch is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,890
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Gosh, just read around the forum. I know the seals are an issue (and continue to be) as is the mediocre dealer service network. Also, mysterious refusals to go into gear, an unpredictable "learning process", half-baked software made only somewhat better after several revisions, etc.

Add that to the marginal mpg improvement the DCT offers and the number of people who, when buying a mass-market car, expect conventional behavior, and you don't have a winning combination. Ask Praton what's wrong with the DCT in its current form.

Mine behaves OK after a really bad first 5,000 miles, but I have very low confidence it will continue to do so. Finally, you may want to ask yourself why the Focus has substantially more incentive cash on the hood than its competitors despite being the most stylish of the lot.

If yours has always worked great, I'm happy for you. That is far from a universal experience though.
I understand that many people have had issues but nothing that I've read leads me to believe that the DCT is an inherently bad design.

I would hope that Ford's attitude is "let's get it right" rather than "let's give up and throw it away".
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #29
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast
 
6769MOPARS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86108
Location: Powder Springs, GA
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

Posts: 431
FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I understand that many people have had issues but nothing that I've read leads me to believe that the DCT is an inherently bad design.

I would hope that Ford's attitude is "let's get it right" rather than "let's give up and throw it away".
Agree. Our DCT has been great so far. We experience minor shudder on mild acceleration only; other than that, if performs flawlessly.
6769MOPARS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #30
Berlin Bill
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99041
Location: Plantsville, CT
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy SE 5-door

Posts: 62
FF Reputation: 1 Berlin Bill Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fist Year Build Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
Just more evidence to heed the old maxim that one should never purchase a car in its first model year. This is also confirmation of the validity of "Lemon Laws".
I agree - in 1981 I bought a first-year Ford Escort GLX and, although I liked most things about it, the engine had a serious failures twice that required major repair work. Ford covered the 1st, but not the 2nd.
It is only now - about 30 years later - that I am looking at the possibility of buying a Ford once again and part of that process is reading this forum.
Berlin Bill is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.