DCT issue/ Rear Main Seal - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
2012SEL2gen
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104966
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 2012SEL2gen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DCT issue/ Rear Main Seal

Just to give you a heads up, I picked my car Friday to have the TSB done on my transmission. And that oil leak for me was the rear main seal. Apparently when the tech seperated the bell housing from the engine, lots of oil spilled out onto the floor. He told me that the seals in the trans were fine, but still replaced the clutches due to motor oil that has contaminated the clutches. So...... for those of you you that have been complaining about losing oil and having a slipping DCT, there you go! Now that my rear main seal and clutches have been replaced plus a reprogram, It's like a completely different car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SEL2gen View Post
Just to give you a heads up, I picked my car Friday to have the TSB done on my transmission. And that oil leak for me was the rear main seal. Apparently when the tech seperated the bell housing from the engine, lots of oil spilled out onto the floor. He told me that the seals in the trans were fine, but still replaced the clutches due to motor oil that has contaminated the clutches. So...... for those of you you that have been complaining about losing oil and having a slipping DCT, there you go! Now that my rear main seal and clutches have been replaced plus a reprogram, It's like a completely different car.
Thanks for the update, 2012SEL2gen. I'm sure this will help out some of those folks who have been having some concerns with their DCTs. Please let me know how things go moving forward; feel free to contact me if you need my assistance.

Thanks again!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
This is why I still want a tech to separate my bell housing from the engine. I'm certain there's oil just sitting in there...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
This is why I still want a tech to separate my bell housing from the engine. I'm certain there's oil just sitting in there...
It's too bad Ford didn't include a "weep hole" in the clutch housing that would allow engine oil/trans fluid to escape and identify a problem. Or an access port at least. Would sure make diagnosis easier.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
It's too bad Ford didn't include a "weep hole" in the clutch housing that would allow engine oil/trans fluid to escape and identify a problem. Or an access port at least. Would sure make diagnosis easier.
Agreed! Or even an extra little screw /valve like for changing the oil, haha.

But I'm sure a bunch of people would mix that up with the actual oil pan screw and there'd be even more issues...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I thought there was an "access" port on top of the tranny with a vent tube going into it. I could have sworn someone posted a pic of this a while back....

Wait, here is the thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...nsmission+tube

I can't tell from that photo if that port goes into the actual gearbox (fluid) or into the open bellhousing..... could be the gearbox which is no good for the issue at hand....
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Hmm... I could probably borrow one those light-up car endoscopy-esque scopes from a co-worker... First I'll check to see if that vent leads to the gear case or the bell housing. If it's the latter, I am definitely going to use it.

One of these guys:
Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Agreed! Or even an extra little screw /valve like for changing the oil, haha.

But I'm sure a bunch of people would mix that up with the actual oil pan screw and there'd be even more issues...
Use a Torx head and no one would touch it!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Use a Torx head and no one would touch it!
Smart man.*

Last edited by PratoN; 11-19-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: *I'm assuming your name is a masculine Dan and not short for Danielle - but I have been fooled before...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SEL2gen View Post
I can't help but think that the tech should have replaced the transmission seal anyway (assuming that the TSB covering the transmission oil leak is applicable to your car).

Bookmarks & Social Networks