New Member - 'New '02 Focus SPI' in the family - I "Get It" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
vaxxine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106397
What I Drive: 2002 Focus w/2 L SPI

FF Reputation: 1 vaxxine Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Member - 'New '02 Focus SPI' in the family - I "Get It"

24 hours ago I didn't know what a Focus looked like and had never heard of an SPI. Last night my daughter dropped off her 'new' '02 Focus so I could do an oil change and look it over. This morning I sit down with a coffee, Google 2002 Ford Focus - holy mother of gawd - what a way to start a Sunday. 2 hours later I've seen more Youtube videos of grenaded 2.0 SPI motors than I care to remember. I found this Forum, read countless threads. I think I 'get it'. I was fully prepared to read about changing the timing belt before it's too late, but I never expected this !

So - it looks like first order of business is get this head replaced while it's still running fine. Yes ? Timing belt gets done at the same time.

There's an ungodly amount of vibration in this car when it's first started and idling. Seems to diminish once the car is well warmed up but it doesn't go away completely. Motor mounts ? Transmission vibration ? I had a look at the mount under the airbox and it appears to be knackered.

What else ?

Mileage is 128K km ( 79K miles).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

Points 1,465, Level 21
Points: 1,465, Level: 21 Points: 1,465, Level: 21 Points: 1,465, Level: 21
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Good thing your daughter has a Dad that cares! Yes, you need an upgraded head, or else you will drop a valve. This forum is invaluable, because I've been eyeing an SPI Focus just for fun.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

Points 401, Level 8
Points: 401, Level: 8 Points: 401, Level: 8 Points: 401, Level: 8
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
http://www.shop.headsonly.com/FORD-F...ALVES-ONLY.htm
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
vaxxine
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizzara View Post
Thanks . I've been looking at that and it looks like the fastest resolution. I'm in Ontario, Canada (near the NY State Border) so I have to deal with all cross-border hassle but it can still be done. Just noticed you're in a 'border town' too.

I'm going to do a quick check with the local AERA machine shops to see if any of them have any experience with rebuilding the head with the proper valve seats. If I can find one, it might turn out to be faster and slightly less hassle. If they don't seem to know what I'm talking about I'll proceed with the US reman head.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
vaxxine
Focus Rookie

Does anyone know who makes the replacement valve seats and if they're available to folks like us ?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

Points 401, Level 8
Points: 401, Level: 8 Points: 401, Level: 8 Points: 401, Level: 8
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Personally, I'd feel more comfortable buying a completely re-done head from the reputable source I posted, rather than trying to find new seats and bringing them to a shop who may or may not know what they're doing in terms of refurbishing. Cylinder head replacement can be done by any shop worth their salt, but not necessarily valve seat replacement - I'd rather not take the risk. Plus, I don't think $225 is an unreasonable price for a re-done head, and if you do the installation yourself, you'd be looking at under $300 shipped. And I have no idea where to source JUST the valve seats, to answer your question.

You'd have to find somewhere to ship to in the US though, if you go with the source I posted. They only ship to the US. I get parts shipped to Detroit and pick them up there.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
vaxxine
Focus Rookie

I get stuff shipped to Niagara Falls, NY and pickup there, which is probably what I'll do in this case.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
I'm looking at buying a scrap yard head (as soon as an SPI comes in from a collision) and giving it to an engine head rebuild shop. That's pretty much all they do is rebuild heads, mostly for tuners, but I'm sure they could handle my SPI. I'll have to talk to them to be sure they can get upgraded seats though, they do mostly upgrades for the tuners so hopefully their source for parts will have something.

And a note to the OP. 128k KMs, WOW that's some low mileage, mine has 222000 and its also an 02.

As far as the vibration, my mount under the airbox was brutal as well, but replacing it did not solve the issue, pop the cap off the passenger side top mount, mine was bulging up, and replacing that one smoothed things right out. I think as the engine warms it up, it helps, but I'd look at that one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.