2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #31
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am inclined to believe those who said they thought it was the car running a diagnostic. My car only does it for a minute or so if I leave it alone after the door is unlocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #32
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
Nah, it does it for as long as you leave it be.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #33
slybarman
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
Nah, it does it for as long as you leave it be.
Were you snooping around my car?

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #34
Stlouis1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104278
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Titanium 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Stlouis1 Good Standing Member
I don't know if my dealer was feeding me line or what, but he said it was the active grill shutters cycling.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #35
Defender
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106391
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium HB (White Platinum)

FF Reputation: 1 Defender Good Standing Member
Hi all, this is my first post here since I've just purchased my 2013 Platinum White Titanium yesterday. So, firstly let me start by saying hello to all and that I'm excited to be part of your forum.

Ok, to the issue... Sounds exactly like the .wav file the original guy posted at the beginning.

I've timed this 3 times now. It occurs right after opening the car door and occurs every 10 seconds for 3 minutes, then stops.

I was thinking this had something to do with the starting system or something, but I'm really just guessing.

Any help???? I think we really need a definitive answer on this.

Peace,
Defender
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #36
slybarman
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
It occurs right after opening the car door and occurs every 10 seconds for 3 minutes, then stops.
Right. It stops after a bit.

I agree with whoever said it was coming from the throttle body or thereabout. That is what it sounded like to me as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #37
recyclebin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105961
What I Drive: 2013 Gray Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 recyclebin Good Standing Member
Since this thread has continued to get replies, I thought I would chime back in.

Here are observations for my car. Some of these seem to conflict with what others have posted in this thread:
  1. My car's "click-click-click-whir" sound only occurs when the engine is cold. I still don't know how long after running it becomes cold enough for this to occur. Where I live it's 35-55F lately, but probably a bit warmer in my garage where the noise is most noticeable. It may not even have anything to do with engine/ambient temperature - maybe it's just the amount of time since the engine was stopped.
  2. I'm sure it isn't the grill shutters since I looked at them and they aren't moving.
  3. I don't think it is the auto transmission (DCT). The sound and vibration I feel don't seem to be buried down that far. But I could certainly be wrong.
  4. It doesn't matter if my headlights are set to Auto or Off.
  5. So far I've only noticed it when the drivers door is first opened (no key in the ignition). Someone mentioned it happening at the dealer when the key is inserted (implying the engine is warm), but I haven't tried that yet.
  6. I just timed it, and it did happen repeatedly over exactly three minutes, then stopped. During that three minutes (from opening the driver door), there were twenty cycles of the noise. It is very periodic, and on my car at least it happens right around every nine seconds.
I can understand the car doing mysterious things for calibration, self-test, etc just before it expects to be started. But to do it twenty times over three minutes doesn't seem right. Why would it have to keep doing this over and over if it's a self-test or calibration? To me that smells like self-test/calibration failing over and over, but the software thankfully has a limit on how many times it retries. I could be way off base, but that's my thinking.

This does not seem to have any negative impact on the operation of my car, so it still isn't a huge worry for me. Since we do have Ford representitives monitoring this forum, can't one of them ask internally what this is, and how many times it should be happening when the drivers door is opened (or any other situations that trigger it)? I would like to know, but bringing it in for service is a huge pain - especially since probably all they will do is check for OBD faults, find none, and tell me "it's normal". Or maybe I'm being too cynical.

Last edited by recyclebin; 11-18-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled "forum"
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Defender
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106391
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium HB (White Platinum)

FF Reputation: 1 Defender Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
Since we do have Ford representitives monitoring this forumn, can't one of them ask internally what this is, and how many times it should be happening when the drivers door is opened (or any other situations that trigger it)? I would like to know, but bringing it in for service is a huge pain - especially since probably all they will do is check for OBD faults, find none, and tell me "it's normal". Or maybe I'm being too cynical.
Exactly my thoughts...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael5982 View Post
I am glad I found this thread as I am currently experiencing the same issue. I arrive at work at 8:45 am and when I go out to my car I open the door (without the fob) and there is a noise coming from the right side of the engine. It is a click, click, and then an electronic noise as if something is cycling on. I do not turn the car on. I then come back out to my car at 11am and back at 6pm and the same thing is happening. I walk away and it is every 20 sec. doing this as I walk away... You can replicate this noise by just putting your key in, have the hood open, and you can hear that it is coming from the black box (told the Powertrain Control Module) on the right of the engine.
I called another dealership today and was told it was not normal and now they want to see the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHinPgh View Post
We just got our new Focus a few days ago, and immediately noticed the exact same noise, coming from the exact same place. So far, I've noticed that it makes the noise every 10 seconds or so for about 10 minutes after shutting the car off. I think it also does it if you simply unlock the car, at least with the keyless. I haven't stopped back at the dealer yet, and I guess I feel a little better that mines not he only one making this noise, but I am a little concerned about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightm View Post
Happy to find this thread. My wife's 2013 SE makes this cycling noise, too. It may be a small thing, but it has to create a drain on the system over time. I even thought at one point it was because we hang our keys near the cars in the garage, and perhaps the proximity caused the car to "get ready." I hope to read an answer here soon.

My S sedan (manual) makes no such noises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
...I've timed this 3 times now. It occurs right after opening the car door and occurs every 10 seconds for 3 minutes, then stops.

I was thinking this had something to do with the starting system or something, but I'm really just guessing...
Hey folks,

If you are currently experiencing this noise, please make an appointment at your dealership to inspect. They are in the best position to accurately diagnose the noise as normal or identify any potential concerns. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to me via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It's the DCT transmission initializing over and over again. I heard this in the shop on the first 2013 Titanium we got in...
Thanks, csvt2060, for sharing your experience. Hopefully this will help some folks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1992 View Post
Never really though that sound was a problem, more like this was awesome! It makes me feel like I'm getting into some space vehicle or something, kind of like back to the future lol!
This totally made me smile, MC1992! I love that you think of your Focus as a space vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
...Since we do have Ford representitives monitoring this forum, can't one of them ask internally what this is, and how many times it should be happening when the drivers door is opened (or any other situations that trigger it)? I would like to know, but bringing it in for service is a huge pain - especially since probably all they will do is check for OBD faults, find none, and tell me "it's normal"...
Hi recylcebin,

Your dealership is in the best position to identify the source of this noise since they can actually see and put their hands on your vehicle. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread and making note of your dealerships' diagnoses; I'll make note of any trends and pass it along to the engineering team as appropriate.

Have a great day, everyone!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #40
slybarman
Focus Addict

The chain of command will be observed. :)

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->