2012 Focus exploding sunroof on local news - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,920
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Well, to further clarify I should have said laminated glass. I can understand side windows not being laminated as they would theoretically (in a random breaking instance) shatter and fall straight down, in the drivers lap in the worst case scenario. I would rather not have my moonroof falling across my face while going down the Interstate at speed.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic
 
RonMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99230
Location: Littleton, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Posts: 3,982
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Window tint isn't going to hold the glass in one piece as I've seen tinted side windows shatter for the most part the same as untinted glass. Actual thick laminate would be different tho' but I don't think I've seen that done on a sunroof like the film that's for headlamps.

Still so unlikely to happen it just doesn't cross my mind.
__________________
'12 Focus Red Candy SE Sport 5 spd
'99 Toyota 4Runner Sport
'11 Subaru WRX STI Hatch
RonMaiden is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,920
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I don't understand your need to argue this, but I'm curious to see your supporting data that backs your claim that window tint would not hold the glass together in the circumstances provided.

I know tint won't make your glass bulletproof and if your car gets hit in the side by a train that glass will be everywhere. What we are talking about is a random 'explosion', whether caused by rock chips or weather or manufacture defect, etc.
Is it something I worry about? Much like you I do not. Simply saying that I would imagine that the manufacturers would choose to use laminated glass above the drivers head. To me that would just seem safer, especially when there are multiple incidences of moonroofs shattering while people are driving.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic
 
RonMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99230
Location: Littleton, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Posts: 3,982
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've seen tinted windows that have been broken and the tint doesn't hold it together;not arguing just stating my experiences for other to read.
__________________
'12 Focus Red Candy SE Sport 5 spd
'99 Toyota 4Runner Sport
'11 Subaru WRX STI Hatch
RonMaiden is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast
 
Minchkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 92792
Location: Huntington, WV
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

Posts: 463
FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When I google sunroof exploding, it is just a bunch of links associated with the Veloster. I doubt that the Focus has that big of an issue. And even if it did, I don't think that the roof would explode with such force that it would actually embed glass anywhere. And tempered glass is meant to break into the smallest peices possible so that it won't have the chance to make it deep into skin.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fact Core from Portal 2
Before the Wright Brothers invented the airplane, anyone wanting to fly anywhere was required to eat 200 pounds of helium.
SES #032

Last edited by Minchkin; 11-18-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Clarification. And more comments on the topic.
Minchkin is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101801
Location: Champaign, IL
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

Posts: 170
FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minchkin View Post
When I google sunroof exploding, it is just a bunch of links associated with the Veloster. I doubt that the Focus has that big of an issue. And even if it did, I don't think that the roof would explode with such force that it would actually embed glass anywhere. And tempered glass is meant to break into the smallest peices possible so that it won't have the chance to make it deep into skin.
Exactly.

I get a kick out of those who assume this is a defect. It happened across multiple vehicle lines and is concentrated in a particular area. It's obviously environment related and whether or not its a temp issue or a "rock" traction aid issue is TBD.

Also, Canada isn't the only cold place in North America so the lack of instances elsewhere make it hard to associate with cold.

I'd like to know how a defect in glass material, construction and sunroof mechanism design spans multiple vehicle lines

I'd also like to know why this wouldn't be an insurance issue
IH84DZ is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,648
FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
Exactly.

I get a kick out of those who assume this is a defect. It happened across multiple vehicle lines and is concentrated in a particular area. It's obviously environment related and whether or not its a temp issue or a "rock" traction aid issue is TBD.

Also, Canada isn't the only cold place in North America so the lack of instances elsewhere make it hard to associate with cold.

I'd like to know how a defect in glass material, construction and sunroof mechanism design spans multiple vehicle lines

I'd also like to know why this wouldn't be an insurance issue
If anything it would be a supplier issue. I won't claim to know where every manufacturer gets their glass from, and if they use multiple suppliers, however it seems plausible that a supplier released some poor quality glass that ended up in several manufacturer's vehicles.
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101801
Location: Champaign, IL
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

Posts: 170
FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
If anything it would be a supplier issue. I won't claim to know where every manufacturer gets their glass from, and if they use multiple suppliers, however it seems plausible that a supplier released some poor quality glass that ended up in several manufacturer's vehicles.
This could be the case but until it's proven to be the case Ford, Hyundai, BMW, etc aren't going to volunteer a no cost replacement. Even from a customer goodwill standpoint it could be seen as an admission of "guilt" or admission of fault on their behalf. This is why unverified symptoms get no repair attempts.

I see no credibility whatsoever in a "safety" concern from this woman if she is willing to drive around with a sheet of plastic in lieu of a glass panel. If she was really concerned for her safety (or comfort for that matter) she'd have her insurance cover the glass and press the issue until someone figures out if there really is a supplier defect.
IH84DZ is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #29
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!
 
mjd4277's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Fan#: 64900
Location: Fitchburg, MA
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

Posts: 2,676
FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
This could be the case but until it's proven to be the case Ford, Hyundai, BMW, etc aren't going to volunteer a no cost replacement. Even from a customer goodwill standpoint it could be seen as an admission of "guilt" or admission of fault on their behalf. This is why unverified symptoms get no repair attempts.

I see no credibility whatsoever in a "safety" concern from this woman if she is willing to drive around with a sheet of plastic in lieu of a glass panel. If she was really concerned for her safety (or comfort for that matter) she'd have her insurance cover the glass and press the issue until someone figures out if there really is a supplier defect.
That's IF the insurance covers glass. Insurance(and warranty policies for that matter) in Canada are different from here in the States. As previously mentioned,here in MA insurance companies have glass replacement with a $0 deductible(mandated by state law). They may not have that in her neck of the woods.
__________________
1975 MG MGB Mk IV "Downshift"
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth "Scorpion"
2013 Fusion SE "Epyon"
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
mjd4277 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
misfire
Moderator
 
misfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Fan#: 31379
Location: West Chester, PA
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Posts: 16,032
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRich1 View Post
I think she will have a hard time getting Ford to replace it unless it becomes a very obvious widespread issue. If not, its just a broken window and glass breakage is not covered under warranty.
exactly. She needs proof that its a defect and not an outside influence that caused the glass to break. For all we know, she could have been cleaning snow/ice off her car and broke it accidentally and tried to get it covered. if i were her, id just all my insurance company (would be $0 deductible for me) rather than wasting time on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Ford could have fixed this for a few dollars, but rather they chose to screw the customer and now they are getting millions in free advertising on why NOT to buy a Ford.
ALL manufactures have warranties for a reason. If the auto manufacturers were to give things away to everyone that had a complaint, we'd be riding bikes due to the companies going bankrupt. i feel bad for the girl, but Ford needs proof its a defect to cover anything (small or big).



I hope she gets the idea to contact her car insurance for hopefully free help.
__________________
Will aka Misfire
2010/2011/2012/2013 Ford Master Certified Service Advisor
2003 LX "traded in"/2010 SES "traded in"/2012 SEL Hatch "current"
misfire is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.