Peace of mind oil change on the 2012 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102604
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Peace of mind oil change on the 2012

My other Focuses all got oil and filter service at 5000km ( 3000 miles ). Now I know that the newer oils make this frequency of change not quite necessary, but I liked doing it and it was a good chance to check the car out while up on the lift. I should note that I am a mechanic and can use the shop on my days off so the expense was minimal.

When I checked my service intervals on the 2012 I was suprised to see that the oil change reminder may not come on for up to 16000 kilometers. Plus, looking around on the forums here, the reminder seems to be a bit of an issue. Some report it never coming on, while others found it working okay.

So anyway, today I decided to change just the oil at the 5000 kilometer point. The car is 4 months old and I couldn't force myself to wait. Walmart had Mobil 1 on sale so went for it. It felt weird to leave the filter on, but I think that skipping 2 oil changes is not good enough. With a timing chain instead of a belt, it seems worth doing. I don't want any problems with worn guides and jumping chain.

The oil change reminder seems not to take oil condition into account based on these forums, so the reminder will still come on ( maybe ) when it knows best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
"Reminders" on newer cars need to be reset after an oil change so they can start their calculations over, otherwise it just keeps counting from new (or the last reset).

They seem to do a good job, taking multiple factors into account such as total time, mileage, idle time, drive cycles etc..

"Severe Duty" as once defined in the manuals would result in a short interval, while average use stretches it out a bit. If you did mostly highway, and a lot of that in a short time, the miles B4 reminder would get scary to anyone used to short mileage changes.

Overall, now that the cars have the "brain power" to take more than just mileage into account, it's probably a GOOD feature. The original "reminders" that only considered mileage were better than nothing, however they were mostly ignored as well...

I know MINE get done more often than mileage alone would suggest, but overall time - short trips - and intermittent use play into my calculations, and like you I'd rather do it sooner than wait TOO long....
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
When I was buying my Focus, I asked my sales rep at the dealer how the oil change notification system works, since I was asking about doing my own and what effect that might have on the warranty (never owned a new car before). He told me that it actually senses the viscosity of the oil, and when it reaches a certain point of degradation, the system indicates the need for a change. I don't know if this is just a marketing fib meant to make it sound impressive, but if it's true, that's pretty slick.

He also encouraged me to just rely on the notification, but said that if it put my mind at ease to do changes at a certain interval that I prefer, to go for it. Obviously, it's my car, so I can as I please, but he seemed to have a lot of faith in the system. I know it's his job to make the sale, but he impressed me with how he worked through the deal with me, so I put a decent amount of stock into his suggestions.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

I'm still looking for a reference as to the Focus' actual system, viscosity sensor info. I've found is a mixed bag (Old oil is generally THICKER due to soot contamination for example).

So far I haven't found an automotive application that uses that new tech alone to determine oil life....
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Always take a non technical sales rep (most) info with a grain of salt. The oil change minder message is reset electronically and can actually be reset at any time by anyone.....the Owner's Manual states to reset it only at the time of an oil change. Viscosity sensor, I think not.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Always take a non technical sales rep (most) info with a grain of salt.
Huge boulder of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Viscosity sensor, I think not.
X2. Car salesman are an interesting bunch. They should try reading their own sales literature some time.

From Ford:

"Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)

What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message."
Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Perfect! The EXACT info.!

From what I've read on the sensors avail., you'd need a whole suite of them (enough to do an oil analysis) to get a better estimate than that algorithm does....

It WAS interesting to see that a viscosity sensor HAD been invented, and even that it had been tried on one new vehicle (for a different purpose). Most applications I found were for process control or Industrial sized engines with a "Scotty" to take care of them...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post

Engine speed and torque

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message."
Haha, good to know! Like I said, I wasn't entirely convinced, so it's good to have the exact information. You guys are awesome, thanks a lot!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianlarry View Post
...The oil change reminder seems not to take oil condition into account based on these forums, so the reminder will still come on ( maybe ) when it knows best.
Hi canadianlarry,

Your friends on the forums have offered up great information about the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system below. If you have any additional questions, you can always reach out to your dealership or to me. The fastest way to get my attention is to reach out via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
"Reminders" on newer cars need to be reset after an oil change so they can start their calculations over, otherwise it just keeps counting from new (or the last reset).

They seem to do a good job, taking multiple factors into account such as total time, mileage, idle time, drive cycles etc..

"Severe Duty" as once defined in the manuals would result in a short interval, while average use stretches it out a bit. If you did mostly highway, and a lot of that in a short time, the miles B4 reminder would get scary to anyone used to short mileage changes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by miuzi05 View Post
When I was buying my Focus, I asked my sales rep at the dealer how the oil change notification system works, since I was asking about doing my own and what effect that might have on the warranty (never owned a new car before). He told me that it actually senses the viscosity of the oil, and when it reaches a certain point of degradation, the system indicates the need for a change...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
...From Ford:

Engine speed and torque

How the IOLM works

Awesome information, everyone. I'm sure canadianlarry appreciates it.

If you ever need anything from me, I'm just a PM away.

Thanks again,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102604
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
I appreciate all the input and information. My plan is to let the dealership do the oil changes that the car asks for in order to maintain a presence for warranty, and to do the extra ones myself. I will post when the reminder comes on. Since I did not reset it, and I don't think you can unless it is on, it is still keeping track from day one. Stay tuned.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->