02fordsvt Build/Mod/Random Thread - Page 105 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #1041
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I used 2 earth magnets on my sons Ranger console lid, held on by epoxy, and 6 months later, it is perfect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #1042
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
See if I can get everything.

First, there are wire nuts inside all the tape so it's really not all that much. lol

Second, I used four pods total. One under each foot well and one under each seat.

Third, both switches were removed from two flashlights that the batteries had gone bad inside. Both had two bulbs, one large and one small, which is why they have three settings (off, big light, small light). I really need to find somewhere to buy them though because I love having that extra setting.

Fours, magnets are another good idea. I used them in the first build too to hold open some doors. The only problem is they would be strong enough to hold the doors shut if anything start rolling around.

And the bonus. A brief description of how I plan on having the switches and light hooked up.

The top switch is the power side with constant power coming through the former cigaret light plug (a bonus with this is that I'm using an already existing fuse). Setting one will be a simple "on" with all floor lighting lit. The second setting will be an "on" for the floor light as well the lighting that I'm planning on installing in the back.

The bottom switch is the ground side. A constant ground goes through the cigaret lighters plug meaning that the switches can be turned on at any time whether the key is on or not. The other setting is for the doors (all the door lighting is controlled with the ground which is why I need this second switch) so that when any door is open, the lights will come on regardless of whether the dome light is on or off. The last setting is simply a ground off setting which is really unnecessary but I figured that out after everything was already wired up.

Another side project I did was to put a switch on the drivers side "door ajar" ground wire. Now I can leave the door open with the key on (for the radio most often) with out the door chime ringing constantly. I should have done this ages ago, it has to be one of the best mods I've done.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #1043
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Cool, cool, cool. Reminds me i need to find my wires for the door button. Want to tap into them for a lighting mod also. That way when doors are open these specific lights come on.

Nice storage box on the side.

Footwell lights look good. Did mine in red and hooked up a remote control to turn them on/off.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #1044
02fordsvt
Meh.

I removed that storage box this spring. It's just an empty cavity right now, but I plan to make another, better one this fall/winter.

I like the remote idea. I'm considering doing some puddle lights on the mirrors and think it would be awesome to hook them up to a remote. What did you use and how hard is it to hook up?
It's Bryan, not Brian
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #1045
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I'm gonna do puddle lights but put them under my map pockets in the doors. The remote was something I got from an electronic parts outlet store along with the leds. You run your lights to the remote and thebremote to peer and your done.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #1046
02fordsvt
Meh.

Sweet. Have to look into that.

Salvage yard today and the list of what I got.

Random plugs for wiring.
Rear "door" panel (whatever that piece is called on the three doors)
Rear upper hatch area trim piece
A couple vent trim pieces for my dads car.
Two O2 sensor just for the heck of it
Center console

And the two best parts.

A complete thermostat housing assembly including all sensors and the thermostat itself from a Ford Contour for $10. Hopefully I will not have any more leaking antifreeze.

A Pioneer single din headunit for $20. It's an older unit and doesn't even have an Aux but I'm going to see if it works and maybe sell it for cheap or keep it for myself. First I have to see if it even works.
It's Bryan, not Brian
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #1047
stealthzx3
Enthusiast

Fan#: 94260
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3 SVT, 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 stealthzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Donald you stole my genious idea!! But i have one extra step i will be taking to set these up.

Bryan, sorry if i got confused in all your text, those switches are from flashlights? I don't think i've seen one with 2 bulbs that i know of. So considering i don't have any flashlights to take apart, how else can i go about making this switch?

2003 EAP SVT #2752
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #1048
02fordsvt
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthzx3 View Post
Bryan, sorry if i got confused in all your text, those switches are from flashlights? I don't think i've seen one with 2 bulbs that i know of. So considering i don't have any flashlights to take apart, how else can i go about making this switch?
I couldn't find the exact flashlight but they were one of those large spotlights with a secondary smaller light incorporated. Not that it really matter because no one is going to buy a flashlight just for the switch. lol

More to the point. These are the style switches I'm using. They are DPTT (double pole triple throw) slider switches. Here's a link to some of that this style switches: http://elcodis.com/searchparts/dptt_slide_switches.html
It's Bryan, not Brian
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #1049
02fordsvt
Meh.

Updated the switches with a plug:

Switch installed. Ignore all the wires; they are just dangling waiting to be reinstalled. Plus, I'm rewiring them with some better wire.

Test run of the headunit I picked up yesterday. It has a blown amp but everything else still works fine. I don't plan on keeping it, though. The buttons light up green (my least favorite lighting color, and I don't want to spend the money on getting an Aux jack. Plus, only my front speaker are amplified right now so I don't have any sound in the back.

It's Bryan, not Brian
Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #1050
mitchv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79720
What I Drive: 2003 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 4 mitchv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have cold cathodes in my foot well very similar to yours and I tried wiring them up to come on with the over head dome light ( only when the doors open and closed and when the car is unlocked) but I couldnt get it to work out any suggestions. or what wires to look for.

Bookmarks & Social Networks