Life Expectancy (Miles) of the Ford Focus? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
PastTense
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106354
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 PastTense Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Life Expectancy (Miles) of the Ford Focus?

What is the life expectancy in miles of the Focus? Do many here on this forum reach 250K miles? 300K miles? 350K miles?... [obviously cars can last for the rest of a person's life if you continue replacing parts--but at a certain point it is uneconomic to do so and cheaper to replace the car.]

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Depends on how serious you are about maintenance.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
In Iowa where salt is applied to roads(?)
Till the Focus becomes a 'Flintstone' car [to get motion just place feet on the pavement and push
In Texas who knows
Some body that owned a courier service had a Focus that got +650,000 miles then it was dumped
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
dpmeeks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82112
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 3 dpmeeks Good Standing Member
Its all about upkeep, and undercoating if you worry about salt... Im planning on getting mine on some ramps and doing some undercoating before the rust can start...
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 62 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If you want to read the stories, check the 100,000 plus thread in the "stickies" at the top of this page...

Haven't read through it, but even recent postings show some over 200,000 without major work...
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Stlouis1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104278
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Titanium 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Stlouis1 Good Standing Member
My daughter in Maine has a 2005 Focus with 240,000 miles on it. Eats tires though. But no major mechanical work.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
What motor do you have? Plenty of ZETECS with 200,000+ Mine had a blown head gasket for about 60,000. Got to 232,000 then it blew to the point where it was dumping coolant. Highest Ive seen on an SPI before dropping a valve seat was 183,000 IIRC.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
VAfromMN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST & '04 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
My '04 Focus SVT just turned 263,000 miles. All I've ever done is replace the wear items. Did my first timing belt at 150,000 and just did my second at 261,000 miles. All of the mechanicals are intact. I put new struts/shocks a couple of months ago. I have changed the oil at 5/6k miles, using Castrol Syntech. Still doesn't use any oil between changes.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There are 3 ZX3s in my family serving as daily drivers, a 2000 with about 210K miles and a 2005 with 220K. My car has 79K miles and has been more of a headache than the other two but I mostly blame aftermarket parts for that.

The 2000 feels tired and a bit underpowered, but the chassis stills feels tight and I suspect my judgement of that car is swayed by owning an SVT and driving a newer Duratec car. The 2005 Duratec car feels like it will run forever, it really feels brand new to this day. It's kind of amazing, the fuel pump needed replacement a couple years ago and that's the only major item I can remember aside from new tires occasionally and various fluid changes.

If I had to make a reccomendation I'd say go with an '05 or later Duratec car, it seems pretty bulletproof even at 220K miles.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I didn't really have to do anything to the ZXW until the axles went out. I'm approaching 150k, and I expect that the factory clutch will go within the next 25k. The only mechanical issue I have that's not wear related like the clutch is the tumble flaps. Tumble flaps are little flaps that close off the intake runners according to throttle position and engine speed to provide more torque on the low end and more hp on the top end. Sometimes the little bushings on these wear out, and the flaps make a loud clacking noise. It sounds like the worst case of bad valves you've ever heard except that if you put a stethoscope on the valve cover- you get nothing but the whirring of a valve train in proper operation. Put it on the intake, and you'll find your clacking. That's the case with mine. More information to come later when I remove the intake manifold. Tumble flaps are on engines 05+ , and 03-04 PZEV motors. I don't know if there are tumble flaps on 12+ GDI engines or not.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks