Used Oil Analysis - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Anyone else have used oil analyses they can post or other information on the performance of their oil?
If they do, post it in the dedicated UOA thread. Excel spreadsheet coming soon.

Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I test my oil every few years to see how long I can go between oil changes. I'll post up some of mine in the other thread. The reports can be reassuring if you track your car a lot, much urban driving, or spend much time in the upper rpms.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #23
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Motorcraft Synblend Goes 8,000 Miles Safely

Here's my 2nd UOA. The Motorcraft SynBlend safely went to 8,000 miles. Maybe could've stretched it to 10,000, but I probably won't in the future.

I have Pennzoil Platinum and a K&N filter on now, not because I like synthetics but because it was $20 for both at AAP back in March. I plan to run that to 8,000 miles too and do an apples to apples comparison, in other words how much better does the PP perform, if any.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Watch in the next few weeks when I begin a dedicated thread for UOA results as I track them in a detailed excel speadsheet. We did the same thing on SVTPerformance forums.

GT500 UOA thread

I have my factory fill sample from 945 miles as a baseline test. There will be additional testing with the Amsoil 5W-20 currently in the sump at every 3,000 mile interval. I will not change the oil at all, only test every 3,000 miles. Here is my factory sample.

It amazes me that a cheap lubricant can perform easily to 5,000 miles, yet still have life left in it.....

but people still have a hard time understanding that a premium lubricant like Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 can easily perform up to 15,000 miles or one year per oil change (severe service schedule).

Amsoil Preferred Customers only pay $26.00 for a complete oil analysis, also includes free TBN and oxidation testing. Blackstone charges you extra for TBN and they do not offer oxidation testing to my knowledge (unless specifically requested). Amsoil's $26.00 price also includes UPS return shipping. Polaris Labs actually does the testing. OAI is only a cover name from Amsoil.
I pulled my dipstick the other day and it was maybe 1/3 of a quart low after 4k miles which tells me that oil would need to be added before 15k miles.

I use the house brand "cheap" oil. always have and usually change my oil around every 3k miles and have never had a problem with any vehicle.

with the focus i'll change oil every 5k which means the only time I will need to pop the hood is when I add wiper fluid. at the 5k intervals i'll have air pressure brought back up and at every 10k have the tires rotated.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
with the focus i'll change oil every 5k which means the only time I will need to pop the hood is when I add wiper fluid. at the 5k intervals i'll have air pressure brought back up and at every 10k have the tires rotated.
If you need to keep them aligned, I'd do both oil change and tire rotation at 7k. As long as you're not too hard on your engine (overall MPG >30?) 7k should be no problem even on straight dino, and 10k is too long for a tire rotation.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
kam327
-----<M>-----

As promised here's my third (and probably last) UOA on my Focus. Wanted to do a direct comparison between the Pennzoil Platinum and Motorcraft SynBlend over the same mileage and same driving conditions - commuter car, same commute for both periods.

It's no surprise the PP was in better shape. But I don't see it greatly exceeding the value of the MC on a cost/mile basis. The PP has about a 40% price premium over MC. The MC would've easily gone to 9k miles. Would the PP have easily gone to almost 13k miles? Impossible to say based on this UOA but I'm guessing they're about even on value.

Sure, NOACK is a concern. But the recent PQIA testing of PYB and QS conventionals with their ultra-low noacks solves that problem.

I think after exhausting my stash of PP I'll stick to PYB at about 8-9k OCIs.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
As promised here's my third (and probably last) UOA on my Focus. Wanted to do a direct comparison between the Pennzoil Platinum and Motorcraft SynBlend over the same mileage and same driving conditions - commuter car, same commute for both periods.

It's no surprise the PP was in better shape. But I don't see it greatly exceeding the value of the MC on a cost/mile basis. The PP has about a 40% price premium over MC. The MC would've easily gone to 9k miles. Would the PP have easily gone to almost 13k miles? Impossible to say based on this UOA but I'm guessing they're about even on value.

Sure, NOACK is a concern. But the recent PQIA testing of PYB and QS conventionals with their ultra-low noacks solves that problem.

I think after exhausting my stash of PP I'll stick to PYB at about 8-9k OCIs.

PYB may be a good answer for you. But take a look at the recent thread about the new GTL Pennzoil Platinum: the new PDS shows 5w/20 Noack of 8.6% or thereabouts, which is considerably higher than the PQIA result for PYB. So either something was wrong with the PQIA's testing or that particular batch of PYB was an aberration. It wouldn't seem to make sense to Pennzoil to put more GTL into PYB than Platinum. No telling when/if Pennzoil will publish a new PDS for PYB, of course...

The UOAs look great, incidentally.

Bookmarks & Social Networks