Official 2012+ Focus Used Oil Analysis thread - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Official 2012+ Focus Used Oil Analysis thread

I'm starting this thread for those who are curious about "which lubricants perform the best" in the Ford Ford 2.0L engine. So many threads emerge in numerous car forums asking the same question frequently. This thread is intended to put those questions to rest.

We can use this thread exclusively for lubricant used oil analysis reports and in depth discussion of engine lubricants. For reference of where I would like to see this thread go, click the link below to see what we (myself and other members) have created in the GT500 forums.

GT500 UOA thread

If anyone needs to know where to get oil testing, visit one of the website links below. Please, if you have your oil tested with Blackstone....opt for the extra $10.00 to have TBN tested. OAI provides TBN testing included with the price. OAI also tests for oxidation (Blackstone does not). Both labs will yield very close consistent results.

Blackstone - will cost $25.00 for basic test, $35.00 with TBN, plus the cost of shipping ($1.90 USPS)

OAI testing kits UPS prepaid - will cost $32.20 - Amsoil preferred customers get this test for $25.95

I would like to duplicate the same type of Excel spreadsheet for the Ford Focus crowd. For starters, I am posting my current Used Oil Analysis.

*please note that I didn't change the oil at this time, it was sampled through the dipstick tube, and still in extended use testing*

Not only am I using an engine lubricant that is far superior to Motorcraft 5W-20, but also utilizing an engine oil bypass filtration unit. This allows a very small volume of the oil flow to be filtered down to 1 micron, extending the engines life far beyond most consumers expectations.

Despite using a bypass filtration system, which as you can see....has minimized engine wear, it has another benefit. The engine now has a 7 quart capacity. I should be able to extend oil change intervals up to 2 years, or 25,000 miles easily. After the latest UOA report, it confirms that this lubricant has a LOT of remaining life.

Compare TBN (Total Base Number - detergent additives) in both samples.

Sample #1 - Motorcraft 5W-20 @ 945 miles - remaining additives are only measuring in at 6.29

Sample #2 - Amsoil ALM 5W-20 @ 5310 miles - remaining additives are measuring in at 7.23

*1.0 or lower is the "must change" warning zone.

5 times more miles, yet still a higher TBN content. Yep, kicking Motorcraft's butt there.

Viscosity, Amsoil didn't shear at all....maintaining its virgin specification of 8.8 cSt. Can't say that about Motorcraft, as it sheared (thinned) down to 7.6 cSt. Virgin specs for MC 5W-20 are ~8.5 cSt

I will not comment about wear metal ppm comparison at this time because the initial fill of Motorcraft was the break in fill. Elevated wear ppm is expected, and is of no fault to Motorcraft's formulation.

So there you have it, this thread is to build up many UOA reports to see trends. We can easily determine what lubricants are performers, and which ones are not the best choice. This requires many different UOAs, intervals, formulations, etc. and will take some time to build. We have invested over two years into the GT500 version, and it's still growing.

Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 11-16-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks