Alignment Question - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
RSV 02 Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105522
What I Drive: 2002 Green ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 RSV 02 Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alignment Question

Hello Everyone,

First post here and I have a question. First I've read about all the alignment problems and solutions related to the Focus. In this case, it's a 2002 Focus ZTS; mother in law's car.

It ate a set of tires way too quickly so after reading some posts, I took it to an alignment shop and had them give me a printout. Unfortunately I can't scan it but here's a summary of the printout:

Left Front - Camber -1*, Caster 2.4*, Toe -.78*
R. Front - Camber -1.4*, Caster 2.8*, Toe -.82*

L Rear - Camber -2*, Toe .19*
R Rear - Camber -2.3*, Toe -1.04*

No wonder it was eating tires All 4 are shot

Now the questions:

The toe is WAY off, can it be corrected without having to go with some aftermarket thing?

The rear camber worries me - posts I've read said ideally it should be -1.4*
Is it worth my time to install the aftermarket camber bolts or can I let this slide?

Just want to put this issue to rest because my mother in law is on a fixed income but I want this done right.

Thanks and glad to be a member of the board.

Roy

Last edited by RSV 02 Focus; 11-15-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The camber numbers are acceptable IMO, and while the toe appears to be way off at both ends of the car nothing aftermarket should be required to get it back in spec. Although the stock rear toe adjustment is just an eccentric bolt, so it's range of adjustment is way more limited than the tie rods. I'm surprised you were able to get those numbers without them talking you into getting an alignment on the spot.

I guess I don't know if the stock setup is capable of getting that right rear back in spec. I suspect it would though.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
RSV 02 Focus
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
The camber numbers are acceptable IMO, and while the toe appears to be way off at both ends of the car nothing aftermarket should be required to get it back in spec. Although the stock rear toe adjustment is just an eccentric bolt, so it's range of adjustment is way more limited than the tie rods. I'm surprised you were able to get those numbers without them talking you into getting an alignment on the spot.

I guess I don't know if the stock setup is capable of getting that right rear back in spec. I suspect it would though.
Thank you for your response. I wanted to get it checked first to see if I needed the rear camber bolts. Also, my mother in law just ordered new tires so we plan to get it aligned when they're installed. If the rear camber is OK in your opinion, it looks like we'll have them do an alignment then.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!!

Roy
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
My opinion is that in addition to most if not all the toe settings being off the rear camber is also excessive. After lots and lots of research and experimentation with several other FF member we concluded the rear camber need not exceed -1.6 degrees for maximum tire life. You will need an aftermarket rear camber adjustment devise to lower your current settings. Camber bolts are the cheapest way are just fine for adjustments to a daily driver. There's also adjustable upper control arms which cost more but are also more precise.

Front toe should have just a smidgen of "toe-out" of about .02 degrees but no more if you still have stock rubber bushings. Go with zero toe if you have upgraded to polyurethane bushings. Rear "toe-in" should be .10 degrees. Toe is the only adjustable parameter from the factory.

PS.....You have to ask for these settings or you won't get them!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
RSV 02 Focus
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
My opinion is that in addition to most if not all the toe settings being off the rear camber is also excessive. After lots and lots of research and experimentation with several other FF member we concluded the rear camber need not exceed -1.6 degrees for maximum tire life. You will need an aftermarket rear camber adjustment devise to lower your current settings. Camber bolts are the cheapest way are just fine for adjustments to a daily driver. There's also adjustable upper control arms which cost more but are also more precise.

Front toe should have just a smidgen of "toe-out" of about .02 degrees but no more if you still have stock rubber bushings. Go with zero toe if you have upgraded to polyurethane bushings. Rear "toe-in" should be .10 degrees. Toe is the only adjustable parameter from the factory.

PS.....You have to ask for these settings or you won't get them!!!!
I know exactly what you mean about having to ask for the settings. Went through that drill today at the alignment shop. Also read other posts where folks had the same problem.

Thank you for your response.

Roy

Bookmarks & Social Networks