2012 Focus exploding sunroof on local news - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Another reason why I special ordered my SEL without a sunroof. All of the high trim level Foci in the area all had sunroofs/rattle traps/potential water leaks, and now exploding roofs that the warranty won't cover. Since a lot of the problem seemed to be in the cold climate areas, I would offer up temperature differential as a cause. If it is really warm on one side of the glass and sub zero on the other, I could see some shattering. I bet the sunroof is not made to the same specs as the windshield, if it was it probably wouldn't be shattering.
One of the main reasons I ordered my 2012 Ti HB was so I could avoid a sunroof. Almost all upscale models on every car lot have sunroofs so you pretty much have to order to avoid getting one.

I've had sunroofs in most of the cars I've owned but never really used them much so why pay extra for it and run the risk of problems down the road. In addition, a sunroof adds weight in the worst possible location, up high, lowers headroom and also weakens the roofline a tad.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
While that really sucks and I feel for the poor girl, not surprising.

Only things that will ever get replaced by manufacturers are safety issues severe enough to risk injury or death. And even then there is an entire business to calculate risk and estimate the cost of doing a recall or just setting a couple cases out of court.

A Recall is the last resort of the OEM, they are very expensive and only "justified" if the calculated risk of NOT doing a recall exceeds the cost of a recall by a certain margin.

Things like faulty airbags, obvious recalls. But for instance faulty/poorly designed dual mass flywheels in SVTF's that fail at 45k miles? No body ever died from a clutch slipping, that gets a TSB, NOT a recall.

I am quite sure that in the case of sunroofs, it was decided to much cheaper to simply settle out of court on the very little chance of court cases, then to issue a recall and inspect/replace sunroofs. Unless there was a traceable "bad batch" of glass used, there's no real way to inspect invisible defects in the molecular structure of the glass anyway.

It really does suck for the consumer, almost no lawyer will take up that girls case as there's really no expected pay off. And it would cost her much more than $1300 to hire a lawyer and threaten lawsuits to get it replaced by Ford.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
In addition, a sunroof adds weight in the worst possible location, up high, lowers headroom and also weakens the roofline a tad.
Oh yea, and all of the above reasons too. I absolutely agree. GM was terrible with their packaging, If you wanted the premium sound system, which I always did, you almost always got stuck with a sunroof, in their "Sun and Sound" package, idiots.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Annoying to think its $1300 just to fix that sunroof. When I ordered mine it came with the luxury package, for $1200 that was sunroof, heated leather seats, and power drivers seat.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
nightridermz3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84944
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 nightridermz3 Good Standing Member
This seems like a defect. I think Ford was trying to add a 'Flight Safety' package to the 2012 Focus line where it would destroy the sunroof for you to eject from your seat out of the vehicle before collision impact. Too bad it wasn't finished on her car.

No but seriously, it's sad but true the costs for labor on anything these days outweigh justice and get what is deserved.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
And this is why my cars don't have sunroofs.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The exploding sunroofs seem to happen on all brands but it is still pretty rare considering how many sunroof equipped vehicles sold just each year that it wouldn't and didn't stop me from getting a sunroof. I've owned a sunroofed car at least most of the 25 years I've been driving and I've never had one explode and I've never known anyone around me or in my car/truck clubs that has had one explode either.
I don't think it's an issue to fret about but if you were one of the unlucky ones your insurance will cover it if Ford doesn't.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I've never had one explode, and I don't fear that I will have a problem. That being said, I'm glad I had mine tinted and shouldn't have to worry about glass falling in on me while driving. I would have assumed that they would use safety glass on something above the drivers head...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
It is safety glass in the sunroof and they break apart in little pieces just like your other windows from the pics I've seen of broken sunroofs.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
It is referred to as tempered glass. It does not crack and break into chards, but falls apart into small chunks instead so it is less likley to cause injury. The video shows the sunroof glass performed as it was intended.

Bookmarks & Social Networks