This Prius can't even sell itself... - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #81
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Instead of "Focus Fanatic" under his screen name, revhigh should have "Prius Apologist"
Heyooooo!

Sent from your mom's house.
Sonics MK3 Crew #21
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #82
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Instead of "Focus Fanatic" under his screen name, revhigh should have "Prius Apologist"
Apologist ??? For what ?? Nothing to apologise for as far as the Prius goes ... far from it. I'm just dispelling the 'facts' that are thrown around about the Prius by detractors and naysayers that have no basis in fact or truth.

I don't see why people can't just admit that each car has it's purpose in an honest discussion without making stuff up to bolster their case. And just because this is a Focus forum (which I also own), it doesn't mean that other cars have to be debased or looked down upon just because it's not a Focus. Remember ... there's always somebody who will look down on YOU, and laugh at YOU, because you drive a Focus ....

I welcome anyone to provide information showing that ANYTHING that I've said is untrue ....

Just because it's not a Focus doesn't mean it's not worthy of honest discussion and has to be lied about.

REV
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #83
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,441, Level 94
Points: 23,441, Level: 94 Points: 23,441, Level: 94 Points: 23,441, Level: 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
some people need to calm down in here...
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #84
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey !!

When you can't argue the message with facts ... attack the messenger !!!

REV
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #85
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,326, Level 35
Points: 3,326, Level: 35 Points: 3,326, Level: 35 Points: 3,326, Level: 35
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pje65 View Post
-My Prius drove fine in the snow. It drove fine in the rain too. However, it was terrible after a drizzle. It wasn't a problem while you were driving along, but God help you at a Stop sign. There's one place on my way to work where I have to stop at the top of a hill at a pretty busy intersection. I live in NJ, so if there's a hole, you need to hit it with authority or wait a couple of minutes for the next hole. Because it was at the top of a hill, I had to accelerate a little more energetically to get over the top, then get through the intersection. If I tried this on a slightly slippery road, it would, as often as not, start lurching and sputtering as I helplessly tried to get across this intersection while cars were bearing down on me at 50 mph. So, here was my dilemma. Do I want to take my foot off the gas, let the car regroup, and try again, or do I try to limp along through the intersection and hope I make it to the other side? Which option will minimize the probability that I'll get broadsided before I reach the other side? It was ridiculous. I looked around at various Prius related sites, and the consensus seemed to be that the Gen II Prius had the worst traction control in the history of the world. It was designed to protect the engine/motor from damage resulting from excessive tire spinning. It seemed to be a lot less concerned about protecting the driver and passengers in the car. For the record, my sister-in-law in San Francisco has a Gen II Prius. A good friend in Colorado has one too. Neither has ever had the problems I experienced. However, neither one of those cars has traction control. So, I suspect that's what the problem was. I never had that issue at the same Stop sign with my Civic (the car I had before the Prius), my Focus, or even the clunky Corolla that I had to rent for a week last spring. At any rate, I decided in the spring that I wasn't going through another winter with that car. Perhaps my car simply had unusually bad traction control. However, Toyota didn't seem very concerned about the issues I was having when I brought them up. I didn't appreciate that.
I think it could have been the same (physical) brakes, or the entire system used on the Corolla of the time. My dad still has his 04 Corolla, he bought it with five miles on the ODO. Quote:

"This thing has had shit brakes since the day I bought it."

Nevermind that he still bought it, even though the brakes are garbage...he refused to consider a Civic at the time because it "sat too low." I digress.

The brakes in that car really are scary. The last time I drove it in the rain/on wet tarmac, the rear drums locked up when I braked around a corner at 30...not at all hard, mind you. Suffice it to say, it's scary when the rear kicks out on a very tight two-lane road at 6PM...

Otherwise? Fantastic little car. If my GM had a quarter of the problems it did, the Toyota would still have been twice as reliable.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #86
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
I like Priuses because the windshields are easy to replace. Other than that they're Butt-Ugly and I feel like I would have sympathetic menstrual Cramps if i had to drive one and an uncontrollable urge to drive 59mph in the diamond lane. Definately not impressed with Toyota Parts Departments. Their parts are overpriced and like Schucks if you don't know the part number you're screwed. I exploded a clutch in a 1979 corolla. Drove a 92 corolla to Reno and back felt like I was sitting on plywood for 1,800 miles. Wish I had rented the Beretta for that trip. No I will NEVER buy a toyota. I've had nothing but good luck with Ford so I won't even consider Butt-Ugly Asian cars. That said I hope this Focus trans dosen't give me a problem! My nonsense post for the day. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #87
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,865, Level 39
Points: 3,865, Level: 39 Points: 3,865, Level: 39 Points: 3,865, Level: 39
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I think what I hate most about the Prius is that as you're driving it you are constantly being reminded that it is a Prius. Love it or hate it, it doesn't want you to forget that it's a Prius.

Its like when you're out with friends and trying to have fun but one of the people in your group is just really boring. His name is Jerry or something and he collects stamps and every time you come up with something fun to do Jerry says "Oh no, I can't go in there I'm allergic to the chemicals they use to sanitize the bar stools" or "Oh heavens I can't go bowling, what if my fingers get stuck in the ball and I dislocate my arm?" "I get shinsplints if I try to run." "Do you have decaff? Caffeine makes me gassy." Etc.

The Prius is the Jerry of the automotive world.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #88
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Points 23,441, Level 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 16%
we are never going to hear the end of this lol.

I hate it when people say "I'll never buy another X car again" so that pile of junk 80's car is going to drive like the current model year? you're missing out if you think that.

I drive all kinds of cars... 40's-'13s whatever come into the shop. I've formed the general opinion that anything can be a giod car if its been taken care of well, and anything can be a bad car. to restrain yourself from a single brand really is stupid.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #89
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry guys. Sometimes I get a little overzealous tallking about the Prius, and contrary to what some may believe ... I'm in no way a left-wing, tree-hugging, San Francisco Prius-driving liberal. That couldn't be further from the truth. I just really require exceptional fuel economy due to the miles I drive, and the Prius was by far the best way to accomplish that. I bought it almost reluctantly, but since then it's won me over. I'm not crazy about it's shape either, but it's shape is probably worth 5-7 MPG. I know ... I know ... it's still ugly, and I agree with that part of the detractor's argument.

It just irks me that the majority of the arguments against the Prius (which is just a stupid car) go so against what I've actually experienced. Prior to purchasing it I researched it for close to a year, which is when I found out all the truths and technologies of the Prius ... and also found out that most of the naysayers were just spouting urban myths that were untrue.

If you don't like them ... don't buy one, but to say that you 'hate' a particular car (or brand) just because of it's looks or percieved myths that you've heard is really just wasting your energy.

Take it easy all, and enjoy whatever car you desire.

REV
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #90
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Points 23,441, Level 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 16%
have you heard this too or was it just a joke from someone? if you get a crossind you could lose that much MPG because they only designed it for a head wind?

my grandpa has a Camry hybrid. that's a pretty nice little thing. then again so is his twin turbo BMW lol.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.