2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #21
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Videos of this would be VERY helpful. I can't say I've heard my car ever make this noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #22
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Its a completely normal noise. My car does it eeeeeevery morning.

I kind of like it, its like its greeting me. Good morning, slow3v. Hop in and drive me.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeneo70 View Post
Hey guys! I just got my Focus 2 days ago, and this morning I noticed I have this same noise. I figured it was nothing, but I'd feel better knowing what it is and why it is doing it.

I have an appointment Friday to get a blemish buffed out that was there from transit and I plan to show him this forum and the sound you uploaded as an example, because as you stated before it tends to only make this noise when you use something electric and after the car has been sitting for a bit.
Hi keeneo70!

Congrats on the new Focus; I'm sure you'll love it. Let me know how the appointment goes on Friday, and report back to the group any news you get about the whirring noise. If you ever need any assistance from me, I'm just a PM away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow3v View Post
Its a completely normal noise. My car does it eeeeeevery morning.

I kind of like it, its like its greeting me. Good morning, slow3v. Hop in and drive me.
This totally made me smile, slow3v. I like the idea of your Focus greeting you every morning. Now the real question is: do you say anything back to it?

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
MNMike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106102
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 MNMike Good Standing Member
New Focus

I Just purchased my focus on Friday and have noticed it making this same sound. Almost sounds like Herbie the Love Bug.

I would also like to know what is making the sound. Just curious.

Thanks,
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
I Just purchased my focus on Friday and have noticed it making this same sound. Almost sounds like Herbie the Love Bug.

I would also like to know what is making the sound. Just curious.

Thanks,
Hey MNMike,

Congratulations on the new Focus! I'm the Ford Customer Service Rep around these parts, so if you ever have a question or concern, send me a PM and I'll get you some answers.

Have an awesome weekend!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Rachael5982
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106348
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Rachael5982 Good Standing Member
New Focus - Same Noise

I am glad I found this thread as I am currently experiencing the same issue. I arrive at work at 8:45 am and when I go out to my car I open the door (without the fob) and there is a noise coming from the right side of the engine. It is a click, click, and then an electronic noise as if something is cycling on. I do not turn the car on. I then come back out to my car at 11am and back at 6pm and the same thing is happening. I walk away and it is every 20 sec. doing this as I walk away. I even had one co-work tell me he thinks I have an animal stuck under my hood because he pulled up beside my car and it was making this noise.
I decided to take it to the dealership to get an answer on what is going on. I couldn't replicate this for the life of me. As I just drove it on the highway there and it only happens when cool and sitting for a while. I put the key in the ignition (do not turn it) and this is the only way I can replicate the noise. The service rep. finally understood what I was talking about. He just assumed I was an idiot and it was the car cooling. He than kept having us put the key in and take it out. He then determined that it is coming from the Powertrain Control Module and the car is reading itself to be turned driven.
I explained to him that a car sitting for hours should not be reading itself to be driven, but what do I know this is new technology. He said that these are new cars with new technology and they do not fully understand them??? What how can you service a car you know nothing about??
I do have the lights set to auto and I am thinking that maybe this is the issue, I have not checked to see if it stops doing this if I turn the lights to off. You can replicate this noise by just putting your key in, have the hood open, and you can hear that it is coming from the black box (told the Powertrain Control Module) on the right of the engine.
I called another dealership today and was told it was not normal and now they want to see the car. I will be interested to hear what you all find out is the problem!!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
It's the DCT transmission initializing over and over again. I heard this in the shop on the first 2013 Titanium we got in. Not sure what this is causing it but I am sure they will be coming out whith a TSB shortly. This vehicle has to be eating up Ford in warranty costs.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
MPHinPgh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106369
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 MPHinPgh Good Standing Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
Thank you for the replies.

I investigated some more and figured out where the noise is coming from. It isn't the grill shutters (I didn't even know this vehicle had them ) or vents. It is on the air intake just past the air filter. There is some sort of mechanism in that path, and when the noise occurs I can hear that is the source, as well as feel it vibrating. Unlike what I said before, the noise appears to be periodic - about once every nine seconds.

I have uploaded a picture with an arrow pointing to the component, as well as a sound file of the click-whir occurring:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...licksource.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...rengineoff.wav
(sorry for the small image - I haven't figured out how to post a full-size link)

This occurs without starting the engine - all I have to do is briefly open the driver door and this starts occurring. It continues for several minutes (I still haven't exactly measured the time), but eventually stops.

If it's normal then I won't worry. It just seems odd to me that Ford would engineer something that cycles for such a long time with the engine cold and not running. If this is normal, I'm surprised no one else has asked about it. I searched but did not find any reference to this noise (apologizes if I did not do an adequate search).
We just got our new Focus a few days ago, and immediately noticed the exact same noise, coming from the exact same place. So far, I've noticed that it makes the noise every 10 seconds or so for about 10 minutes after shutting the car off. I think it also does it if you simply unlock the car, at least with the keyless. I haven't stopped back at the dealer yet, and I guess I feel a little better that mines not he only one making this noise, but I am a little concerned about it.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #29
MC1992
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90417
What I Drive: '95 Volvo 850 Turbo/'12 Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 MC1992 Good Standing Member
Never really though that sound was a problem, more like this was awesome! It makes me feel like I'm getting into some space vehicle or something, kind of like back to the future lol!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
dwightm
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus S Sedan Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 dwightm Good Standing Member
click > click > whir, indeed!

Happy to find this thread. My wife's 2013 SE makes this cycling noise, too. It may be a small thing, but it has to create a drain on the system over time. I even thought at one point it was because we hang our keys near the cars in the garage, and perhaps the proximity caused the car to "get ready." I hope to read an answer here soon.

My S sedan (manual) makes no such noises.

Bookmarks & Social Networks