What should I do now? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
hockeydoc33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90937
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow SVT

FF Reputation: 1 hockeydoc33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What should I do now?

Hey all,

Bought my 2003 SVT last year with 55,000 miles now has 70,000. In May, I was preparing for inspection and discovered that the check engine bulb was pulled and that I had four codes.

I replaced the front O2 Sensor which resolved two of the codes.

The remaining codes were P1383 codes for advanced timing. To attempt to fix this I replaced the timing belt and timed the engine based on the Ford Instructions. Still got the codes.

I again retimed this both times using the timing tool and still had the code come back. After researching on the forums I found that we had timed it right and that this is a normal problem.

So I sucked it up and went to Winner Ford to have it fixed along with a few other minor tweaks. After two weeks to get the parts in they completed the repairs, test drove it, but the code remained. After this they ordered replacements for the phaser and vct solenoid which took another week to complete.

Still code remained. They once again attempted to retime it and run through another diagnostic check. They returned no clear response. They then stopped billing me for time spent and were in contact with Ford engineers and supposedly the SVT team. They tried a bunch of different things and 4 weeks later still no results.

They came to me and said that the next step was to replace the cam shafts with high performance ones since they could not get new stock. I decided to say screw them and bought the car back from them.

So now I have a car in my driveway that is 5 months past inspection and have purchased a replacement car. I recently tried a test that was on here to retune based on the code. Still without a change.

The only thing I was thinking was to retard the timing and hope to trick the computer.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Live in a state that doesn't have inspections, JK thou how does the car run? Maybe think about a tune
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
That is a tough code to take out, and yes if the timing is incorrect it does throw it off.

When I had it before, I had to do it over and over until we got the tension on the Timing belt correctly, the oil in the VCT was flowing somewhat right and the sensor for the VCT was good to go.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
AlfPrev
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104347
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 AlfPrev Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why can't you clear the CEL and go through inspection?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 129,199, Level 100
Points: 129,199, Level: 100 Points: 129,199, Level: 100 Points: 129,199, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 77%
Activity: 77% Activity: 77% Activity: 77%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Yup we've had many troubles with that code. What worked for us is we kept re timing and re timing. I've even move the VCT gear a tooth or two back and forth till it liked where it was at. No more code. It all as to do with the position of the variable cam gear. It can be cleared, but what surprises me is that the dealer ship couldn't get it. Make me think they didn't try that hard?

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
hockeydoc33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfPrev View Post
Why can't you clear the CEL and go through inspection?
I have tried that but when you clear the code it resets all of the other electronic systems, O2 Sensors and all.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
hockeydoc33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Yup we've had many troubles with that code. What worked for us is we kept re timing and re timing. I've even move the VCT gear a tooth or two back and forth till it liked where it was at. No more code. It all as to do with the position of the variable cam gear. It can be cleared, but what surprises me is that the dealer ship couldn't get it. Make me think they didn't try that hard?
I have tried it a few times and I know that the timing is spot on.

As far as moving the VCT a tooth how do you do that?

I have released the oil from the VCT by moving the cam.

Do you need to loosen the timing belt and rotate the VCT gear that way?

Oh and I dont trust the dealership for crap they are a bunch of s and I will never be taking it back to them.

Luckily I have another dealership just as close.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
hockeydoc33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post
That is a tough code to take out, and yes if the timing is incorrect it does throw it off.

When I had it before, I had to do it over and over until we got the tension on the Timing belt correctly, the oil in the VCT was flowing somewhat right and the sensor for the VCT was good to go.

-Ray-
I know the timing is spot on by using the timing tool with the pin.

What do you mean by tension in the timing belt?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
When doing your timing belt you adjust your tensioner to get the belt nice and tight or loose for take off.

Well, on the Zetecs, there is a little window with a marker for the optimal spot for your timing belt to be tensioned. As you tightened the belt you will see the marker go to the window. When you turn on your car this shakes a bit and moves some on acceleration, but in idle, it should stay pretty close to the marker in the window.

You will be surprised how that little detail can make a difference.

Did you crank the engine by hand a couple of times and re-checked the timing was still in time after hand cranks?

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
hockeydoc33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post
When doing your timing belt you adjust your tensioner to get the belt nice and tight or loose for take off.

Well, on the Zetecs, there is a little window with a marker for the optimal spot for your timing belt to be tensioned. As you tightened the belt you will see the marker go to the window. When you turn on your car this shakes a bit and moves some on acceleration, but in idle, it should stay pretty close to the marker in the window.

You will be surprised how that little detail can make a difference.

Did you crank the engine by hand a couple of times and re-checked the timing was still in time after hand cranks?

-Ray-
I will recheck the tensioner this weekend.

The first time we cranked it twice and was good. Following the timing was spot on when hitting the pin so the timing was the same from Ford as it was when we did it original.

This leads me to believe it is either the VCT gear not properly adjusted or the cam positioning sensor is not working properly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks