2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Krazymarine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105245
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 Krazymarine Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I think you're making too much out of nothing. This car makes all kinds of noises at different times. Pay attention when you put your key in the ignition after it hasn't been running for a while and you'll hear the fuel pump click on. Lots of electronics. Lots of servos.
Well let me tell you... I have two 2013 4doors one with the sfe package and a regular SE well the one with the SFE package doesn't make this noise but the one with out does and it does it for a long time every time you open the drivers door I'm taking in to get look at as soon as I'm done installing my remote start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
recyclebin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105961
What I Drive: 2013 Gray Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 recyclebin Good Standing Member
Quote:
I think you're making too much out of nothing. This car makes all kinds of noises at different times. Pay attention when you put your key in the ignition after it hasn't been running for a while and you'll hear the fuel pump click on. Lots of electronics. Lots of servos.
You're right - this doesn't seem to be worrisome in the short term, but if it's abnormal for this mechanical cycling to continue over several minutes I'd like to eventually get it resolved. I'll continue to monitor and ask the dealer about it when taking the car in for other service. I just used an OBD scan tool and there are indeed no DTCs, so at least the car's computer system doesn't think anything is wrong.

Thanks again to everyone, and thanks to Crystal for the escalation offer - I may take you up on that in the future. I will post again to this thread when there is more information.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Quote:
My 07 Taurus used to make all kinds of noises. It even developed the "ford tick". Random creaking and ticking and stuff. Never anything major as far as I know. My dad is still driving it and it's running fine with 230,000km on it now.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
It's not simply making noises and mine does it too when I open the door and it's just some cycling or some systems like maybe the fuel pump priming but it is something that is normal.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
I have this noise too. It was making that noise for 40 minutes when I was trying to learn how to use my ford touch yesterday. My car is very new, build date 10-12-12.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
...Thanks again to everyone, and thanks to Crystal for the escalation offer - I may take you up on that in the future. I will post again to this thread when there is more information.
You're welcome, recyclebin. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm always happy to see how I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
I have this noise too. It was making that noise for 40 minutes when I was trying to learn how to use my ford touch yesterday. My car is very new, build date 10-12-12.
Hi HatsuneMiku,

If you're concerned, you should definitely make an appointment with your dealership so they can inspect. Ford certified techs are in the best position to diagnose and repair. Questions? Concerns? Send me a PM and I'll get you some answers.

Thanks everyone!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Coincidentally, when I was walking around the local Ford lot last night checking strut braces, one of the 2013 Foci I opened the door on, did this.

It kept cycling through the 'click-click-whirr' several times, and might have kept going after I shut the hood and walked away. I figured it was just a quirk of the DCT.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
My 2012 SEL hatch does this. My mom's 07 Escape Hybrid does it also. Her dealer told her it's the car testing the safety systems before the car is started. I'm guessing its testing the throttle body, the transmission, and the brake system.
- MFT
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
Figured out it doesn't make this noise if the headlights are off.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
keeneo70
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106046
What I Drive: 2013 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 keeneo70 Good Standing Member
Hey guys! I just got my Focus 2 days ago, and this morning I noticed I have this same noise. I figured it was nothing, but I'd feel better knowing what it is and why it is doing it.

I have an appointment Friday to get a blemish buffed out that was there from transit and I plan to show him this forum and the sound you uploaded as an example, because as you stated before it tends to only make this noise when you use something electric and after the car has been sitting for a bit.

Bookmarks & Social Networks