IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input. - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #51
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Points 2,472, Level 30
Points: 2,472, Level: 30 Points: 2,472, Level: 30 Points: 2,472, Level: 30
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
just submited survey as well
Zillon youre heading for superhero status!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #52
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
I've done a survey too! You do rock man! I hope Ford truly takes it serious and you get the kudos you deserve.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #53
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just got off the phone with my regional customer service manager. Certainly not the standard customer service call she's used to, I'm sure.

We did come to an agreement, though. Since I'm so far beyond getting this issue handled through standard warranty procedure, and I already have the updated strut tower brace on order, I'm going to be a guinea pig for the rest of you. I have the necessary tools, shop, torque specs, and installation instructions at my disposal. Whatever the result, she will be taking my findings and reporting them to Ford, which I'm hoping, if things go well, will be used to benefit the rest of you with your issues.

I'm hoping to have the new brace in my hands by Monday, maybe Tuesday at the latest. I'll then be doing the install in stages, so I can properly troubleshoot this issue. Initially, I'll be installing ONLY the brace. However, I have also ordered a new set of strut mounts and strut bearings that I plan on installing afterwards, just to ensure I don't have any more problems further down the road.

Thankfully, parts are cheap for this car.

In the meantime, keep filling out that survey!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #54
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Sweet. Good work and good luck. It's kinda cool they'll let you be the guinea pig for this.

Sent from your mom's house.
Sonics MK3 Crew #21
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #55
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

Points 1,594, Level 22
Points: 1,594, Level: 22 Points: 1,594, Level: 22 Points: 1,594, Level: 22
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
I just got a call from ford customer service canada, and he told me that the ossue will be resolved and my other issues as well. Thank you very much to Zillon, and crystal from customer service for getting this looked at! I was chuckling in awe how quickly i got contacted from crystal and ford canada.! 1 hour from me posting to the customer service rep here and ford canada contacting me. Thank you again made my day!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #56
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,579, Level 65
Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Starting from 23 seconds, sorry for the unsteady camera work, but I was trying to focus on driving. Oh and for some reason with the camera as far away as it was my voice still sounds funny. I don't believe I sound like that normally, but I don't record myself all the time either.

Idk, does that sound like clunk to you? It was 39F tonight, although the car should have been warmed up on the drive home from work.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #57
Sparky12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98232
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 Sparky12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Just got off the phone with my regional customer service manager. Certainly not the standard customer service call she's used to, I'm sure.

We did come to an agreement, though. Since I'm so far beyond getting this issue handled through standard warranty procedure, and I already have the updated strut tower brace on order, I'm going to be a guinea pig for the rest of you. I have the necessary tools, shop, torque specs, and installation instructions at my disposal. Whatever the result, she will be taking my findings and reporting them to Ford, which I'm hoping, if things go well, will be used to benefit the rest of you with your issues.

I'm hoping to have the new brace in my hands by Monday, maybe Tuesday at the latest. I'll then be doing the install in stages, so I can properly troubleshoot this issue. Initially, I'll be installing ONLY the brace. However, I have also ordered a new set of strut mounts and strut bearings that I plan on installing afterwards, just to ensure I don't have any more problems further down the road.

Thankfully, parts are cheap for this car.

In the meantime, keep filling out that survey!

Sweet, thank you!

Survey (second round) completed today...

2012 Titanium Hatch
Build 03/28/2012 (like, 11 days after the part cut off on the previous page)
No reinforcing plates
Clunk on driver's side

My driver's side strut plate has the aforementioned gap between the top of the tower and the plate... maybe 3/16". I wedged a keyring grocery store shopper card in there tonight, I'll report back tomorrow if I'm still clunking as badly as normal.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #58
earthling_david
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104836
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST

FF Reputation: 1 earthling_david Good Standing Member
I just completed the survey. I also completed one that you linked to from another thread. I'm not sure if that was the same one or not, so make sure I'm not double counted!

Thank you for doing all this work to sort out the problem.

Edit: I see from a prior post that I was already counted, so I shouldn't have filled in the survey again. Sorry! I'm the one with the ST builton 8/14 that clunks, and doesn't have the reinforcing plate.

Also, I have put a piece of thick, heavy duty double sided tape under the rubber piece that supports the coolant reservoir, on the off chance that the noise I'm hearing is the reservoir clunking. I haven't driven the car since I did that. I'll report back with the results the next time I'm out.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #59
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Well my car is a different car with the credit card wedged in there. I took it for a spin tonight when it was 57 degrees and my car was sitting outside. I could hear the sound a bit but it was muffled and the rattle frequency was faster. Without the credit card shim it vibrated at about 32 cycles per second (in musical terms, 16th note tripletsat 60 beats per minute) and with the credit card it vibrates faster, about 50 cycles per second (16th triplets at 90 beats).

I wedged another pece of credit card about and inch and a half away from the bolt where there was more play. Took it for another spin and its silent. The whole car actually feels better. It feels great.

In my opinion Ford has never spent any time on this. If they did, they would have stumbled on this loose area long ago. Especially if they were using chassis ears.

I'm glad zillon is narrowing down and homing in on the solution. Thanks zillion:)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #60
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,579, Level 65
Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
I didn't write down all the times when it happened, but you can clearly hear it between 1:40-1:54, as well as several other times around the 2 minute mark, from 5:00-5:40 minutes. I'd have edited the video down but I don't think I have the proper software on this pc at the moment, or at least it doesn't seem to work properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMSTvaXPMjY&t=23s

It seems to be making noise, but I'm not sure how much of that was due directly to the bad roads only or if there is some actual clunk, but its not quiet with the radio off.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.