Engine Shake - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102901
Location: Hoboken, NJ
What I Drive: '12 SEL

Posts: 50
FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine Shake

Anyone have an engine shake around 1,800 to 2,000 rpms? At first I thought it was tire related but when stopped I popped it into neutral and revved it up and sure enough there's a rough high frequency vibration in that range and a low frequency vibration (resonance?) right at about 1900. I'd estimate it's in the 300 to 400 rpm range.


YesMAN is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104381
Location: Vancouver, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

Posts: 128
FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesMAN View Post
Anyone have an engine shake around 1,800 to 2,000 rpms? At first I thought it was tire related but when stopped I popped it into neutral and revved it up and sure enough there's a rough high frequency vibration in that range and a low frequency vibration (resonance?) right at about 1900. I'd estimate it's in the 300 to 400 rpm range.
Yeah I've noticed that there's a bit more vibration around that RPM range, especially when I go from 4th to 3rd gear. I thought this was normal was a part of the "European flavour" of the car.

Bear in mind it's not violent shaking or something.
dutd33 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
cbdallas
Focus Addict
 
cbdallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100296
Location: Wylie, TX
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Posts: 789
FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I haven't really noticed it in this car, but it was a characteristic of one of my past cars....a 2004 Mazda 3 2.0. Right before 2,000 RPM, it had a 'shake' that didn't appear anywhere else in the rev range. I wrote it off as a balance issue, which it probably is. If it was an actual mechanical issue (misfire, etc) that was strong enough to shake the engine, the ECU would've picked it up and given you a check engine light. I woudn't worry about it if I were you.
cbdallas is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,104
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesMAN View Post
Anyone have an engine shake around 1,800 to 2,000 rpms? At first I thought it was tire related but when stopped I popped it into neutral and revved it up and sure enough there's a rough high frequency vibration in that range and a low frequency vibration (resonance?) right at about 1900. I'd estimate it's in the 300 to 400 rpm range.
Hi YesMAN,

If you're concerned, you can always have your dealer check it out the next time you have an oil change or other scheduled maintenance visit. They'll be able to diagnose it or give you some peace of mind. Worth the trip, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
Yeah I've noticed that there's a bit more vibration around that RPM range, especially when I go from 4th to 3rd gear. I thought this was normal was a part of the "European flavour" of the car.

Bear in mind it's not violent shaking or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I haven't really noticed it in this car, but it was a characteristic of one of my past cars....a 2004 Mazda 3 2.0. Right before 2,000 RPM, it had a 'shake' that didn't appear anywhere else in the rev range. I wrote it off as a balance issue, which it probably is. If it was an actual mechanical issue (misfire, etc) that was strong enough to shake the engine, the ECU would've picked it up and given you a check engine light. I woudn't worry about it if I were you.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, dutd33 and cbdallas. Great info, and I'm sure YesMAN appreciates it.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions,
Crystal
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had a the vibration or rattle sound 1st-2nd 3rd-4th, but not so much any more. It was very annoying sounded like a metal shroud rattling. So the other day I removed the resonator tube from under the AirBox and the noise was gone. I reinstall and hit it and sure enough it was vibrating against the sub-frame. Put some foams in between and eliminated the rattle. There is another somewhere but i think it is the heat shroud under the catalytic converter. Gonna add some sound damning material to that soon.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102901
Location: Hoboken, NJ
What I Drive: '12 SEL

Posts: 50
FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
I had a the vibration or rattle sound 1st-2nd 3rd-4th, but not so much any more. It was very annoying sounded like a metal shroud rattling. So the other day I removed the resonator tube from under the AirBox and the noise was gone. I reinstall and hit it and sure enough it was vibrating against the sub-frame. Put some foams in between and eliminated the rattle. There is another somewhere but i think it is the heat shroud under the catalytic converter. Gonna add some sound damning material to that soon.
Mine isn't a rattle at all but rather a low frequency vibration through the pedals at around 1900 engine rpm. Just dropped it off at the dealer and the advisor said something about engine mount equalization. I'll post what they say at the end of the day.
YesMAN is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
powermax
Focus Enthusiast
 
powermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 105453
Location: Ontario, Canada
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

Posts: 181
FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did anyone get rid of the vibration coming from the under the hood?
powermax is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
dwardo
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104747
Location: White Marsh, MD
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE

Posts: 5
FF Reputation: 1 dwardo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes, I started a thread about that when I first got my car. Mine is a vibration that starts about 2100 and goes to about 2500. It seems like an exhaust resonation. I find it unacceptable and frustrating but of course the dealer tells me that it is "normal". I would find it marginally acceptable on a four-cylinder motorcycle. I do not find it acceptable in a car. Did you get a resolution for it?
dwardo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
powermax
Focus Enthusiast
 
powermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 105453
Location: Ontario, Canada
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

Posts: 181
FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwardo View Post
Yes, I started a thread about that when I first got my car. Mine is a vibration that starts about 2100 and goes to about 2500. It seems like an exhaust resonation. I find it unacceptable and frustrating but of course the dealer tells me that it is "normal". I would find it marginally acceptable on a four-cylinder motorcycle. I do not find it acceptable in a car. Did you get a resolution for it?
Nope, drove another one it does the same thing.
powermax is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
dwardo
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104747
Location: White Marsh, MD
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE

Posts: 5
FF Reputation: 1 dwardo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks. That's discouraging. I'm going to get underneath and have a look. It's nothing I can't get used to but I don't like it.
dwardo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.