My Ford Touch Thread - Page 247 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #2461
Stryker412
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79767
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Sterling Grey

Points 306, Level 6
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Stryker412 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I didn't get time to really test the call quality out today. I did send myself two voicemails (one before, one after upgrade). I did notice the background noise hum wasn't there but I'll do more testing today. My ZuneHD was indexed rather quickly and all my album art came right up.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #2462
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

Points 262, Level 5
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I have the same build date as you and mine was Horrible from day one. A friend of mine who has a 3/12 build date has no issues whatsoever.
What I am theorizing is that Ford may have transitioned to a different type of microphone over a period of time (a couple of months maybe?). My car may have the newer equipment, & your car may have the older equipment? Just trying to figure it out.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #2463
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
My build date was 12/2011. I had the issue until the 3.0.2 update. From then on, mine has been working fine.
So odd and this is what does not make any sense about all of this. I didn't have the issue UNTIL the 3.0.2 update (July 2011 build). With 2.11 people knew I was on hands-free but I could carry on a conversation fine. Since 3.0.2 people more often than not ask me if I can call them back later when I am not driving as they are having a terrible time understanding me.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #2464
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
Maybe this has been discussed, but is there a connection between the poor BT phone audio quality & the date of build? My BT phone audio quality has been pretty good since day 1 (build date Dec. 2011) from what I can tell. I've had few if any complaints. Could it be that the earlier builds have a different type of microphone or other hardware installed, such that the software is not the primary problem for older builds?
I've been going back and forth on this in my own head trying to find an explanation for quite a while. Ever since the move from 2.11 to 3.0.2 my call quality had been terrible. There was another issue, however, that got a lot worse when I went to 3.0.2 - the ability to play music by voice. With 2.11 I told it to play a song and it played it no problem. Ever since 3.0.2, when I told it to play a song, more often than not it would give me these lists and lists of song titles and tell me to pick one. Usually my response would be "none of those" as the song I told it play was not on the list, a song that it used to play first try w/2.11. Sometimes I would get stubborn and refuse to give up and it could take 20 minutes of trying before the song title would even show in one of the lists (the first time my wife observed me doing this in the car after the 3.0.2 install her exact words were "Wow, they completely broke your car", she knew how well it worked before).

With further observation and experimentation over time I eventually started paying a lot more attention to the quality of the roads I was on and the road noise that these roads caused as it related to the effectiveness of voice commands. While on relatively smooth quiet roads the voice commands were not great, nowhere near as good as they were w/2.11, they were still a lot better than on much rougher, noisier roads. I still took effort to get a song to play but on rougher roads it could take ages or just completely not work. Sitting in my driveway with the car not moving and voice commands were much more effective than any kind of driving, smooth or rough roads.

BT calling and playing music by voice both utilize the mic and both worked fine at one point for me. A software update was installed and they both suddenly became terrible yet the car still had the exact same mic as before so the software was the only variable. The fact that voice commands worked best sitting still, just plain bad under conditions of minimal road noise, and absolutely terrible under conditions of significant road noise really leads me to believe something went awry with the noise cancellation.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #2465
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
There was a pretty big thread on this site regarding "A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue" I believe you participated in that thread Cope. Interesting how the one guy Murray something didn't give up on trying to get his fixed and was fortunate to have a dealer willing to try everything they could. I seem to recall he said they replaced the Mic, Wiring, APIM or whatever hardware that is, and the only thing that resolved his issue was getting a new 2013 Focus. That blew my mind and really made me feel my issue is hopeless.

I do agree it seems there's NO noise cancellation though. While recording a message to my voicemail at work I can tap on the mic and while that's occurring all the back ground noise goes away. The moment you stop, a rushing sound of wind noise comes back and washes out my voice badly.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #2466
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
It was really the fact that not just my BT call quality but my voice commands for music also tanked after 3.0.2 that led to my conclusion that something happened to the noise cancellation. I noticed after a while that lot of times when I was getting those strange lists of songs that were not the song I was telling it to play, it seemed to get locked into thinking the song title I was saying started with specific letters or sounds and they were all very soft and droning sounding like "S", "F", "Th", "Ph", "H", and so on. Seemed to me while I was speaking the mic was also picking up droning road noise in the background and just giving me song titles that started with these droning sounds as that is what it was trying to interpret based on what it was picking up in the background.

I am fortunate enough (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) to have some expressway driving on my way home from work, a route that I travel regularly, that has a couple of miles of road that has recently been replaced with some very rough exposed concrete, which causes a lot of road noise in the car. Shortly thereafter I hit a section of very smooth asphalt and road noise is greatly reduced. I can drive the rough section telling it to play a song and still never get the song title to show up on any lists. When I hit the smooth part, it works better. Not perfect but I can usually get the title to show up within two or three pages of titles. Sitting still and not driving it is even more accurate. Again, this indicates to me that it is trying to interpret background noise instead of what I am saying (or just not even picking up what I am saying at all and just getting the background).

I've played with voice for music while sitting still but I don't think I've ever tried a phone call while sitting still. I'll have to play around with that. I also want to play around with the "mic tapping" thing you tried.

Of course all of this may be moot anyway because even if this is the cause, I would have no idea how to fix it!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #2467
Stryker412
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79767
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Sterling Grey

Points 306, Level 6
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Stryker412 Good Standing Member
I am dropping off my car all day tomorrow for them to take a look at the mic. I'm sure they'll say there's nothing wrong with it, but we'll see. My car was built in August 2011.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #2468
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
I am dropping off my car all day tomorrow for them to take a look at the mic. I'm sure they'll say there's nothing wrong with it, but we'll see. My car was built in August 2011.
I'll assume your 3.5.1 didn't make much difference for the "Voice Quality". Being that's the case between you and Cope so far. I'll just sit this update out. I'll get it eventually but not going to bother wasting my time setting up an appointment right away.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #2469
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Well, report back anything you find (good, bad, or indifferent) if you wouldn't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I'll get it eventually but not going to bother wasting my time setting up an appointment right away.
Hah, if and when you do, call them from your car to set up the appointment. When they inevitably can't understand a damn word you are saying, you can explain when you get there that the call was from the car. Might give them some evidence that there is a real problem when they are actually on the receiving end of it.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #2470
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I didn't get time to really test the call quality out today. I did send myself two voicemails (one before, one after upgrade). I did notice the background noise hum wasn't there but I'll do more testing today. My ZuneHD was indexed rather quickly and all my album art came right up.
Must be nice, my car won't even recognize the zunehd anymore and cover art never works with my zune 120

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.