Ridiculous fuel mileage - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #41
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
This is incorrect, the rate you speed them up makes no difference. The amount of energy in them is a function of their rotational inertia and how fast they are spinning. How fast you get them to that rotation rate makes no difference.

Besides, the energy is lost when you hit the brakes.
Are you saying that a full throttle blast up to highway speed will produce no difference in fuel economy compared to gradually and gently getting to highway speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #42
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
Wow that's awesome! 31.6 MPG is really good.

Just out of curiosity, a friend told me that bigger tires will actually give you better mileage, is that true?
I averaged better than that with my 18 inch stock wheels and Michelin ultra high performance 18 inch tires. Anyone that thinks changing the 18" low rolling resistance tires to other Focus OEM all season tire sizes will yield them a 1-2 MPG improvement may be sadly mistaken after spending the money. And they will definitely be missing a lot of braking and cornering performance.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #43
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,255, Level 72
Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
It also isn't just about total weight, but where the weight is distributed. If all the weight was in the center of the wheels, they would have less rotational inertia.

But honestly, i thought it was pretty well known that the huge rims with tiny tires are completely moronic from the POV of fuel economy. Unless, you spend a lot of money on really light rims.
These look like they're more outer heavy than center heavy.
Yes they're crap from fuel economy perspectives but 29 or 31lbs is the spec I found for these wheels. That's a bit much even for 18s when most of the aftermarket ones are in the 22-25lb range.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #44
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati20 View Post
sel with auto, 29-30 straight city with my foot in it most of the time.
Yeah .... right ....

REV
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #45
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Are you saying that a full throttle blast up to highway speed will produce no difference in fuel economy compared to gradually and gently getting to highway speed?
No, I should have clarified better. We're talking about wheels here, not general driving tips.

How you speed up won't change how much energy is lost from a wheel when you decelerate. The wheel acts like a battery. How much energy is stores is a function of its rotational inertia and rate of rotation. Hybrids recapture some of that energy with regenerative braking. Normal cars lose it when they hit the brakes. If you coast, you get to use it for free. A car with heavier wheels will coast further than one with lighter wheels (everything else being equal).

There were numerous occasions on Top Gear where they would put in bigger rims for some reason or another. Almost every time the performance got worse.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
yugoflip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87666
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Blk Focus SEL 5spd HB

FF Reputation: 1 yugoflip Good Standing Member
My fuelly lifetime avg has been 8.2 l/100 km after about 19k mms. I do find that mileage suffers a lot in the city. I get around 9.5l in pure city driving during warm weather and hwy is about 6.5l going a bit above speed limit. I too was disappointed with this, but as someone mentioned, accelerating in the city really takes it toll on mileage. This is with a 5spd manual. A 6th OD gear would be useful on the hwy...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
Kotlkn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106038
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE 5-Door

Points 679, Level 13
Points: 679, Level: 13 Points: 679, Level: 13 Points: 679, Level: 13
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kotlkn Good Standing Member
I'm commuting from Barrie to Toronto everyday and I'm currently only getting about 7.5L/100km. My commute is about 120km one way. I have about 10000km now. Window sticker rating for highway driving is 5.1L/100km.
I have had the car for just over two months now and am very impressed with the car except the fuel mileage. My last car, a Pontiac G5 2.2L consistently got 6.0L/100km or better, even with over 350,000km on the engine. I used to get over 650-700km per tank, but now I'm lucky if I get 500km per tank. Both cars have the same size fuel tank.
Have my first oil change this week and I have brought the mileage issue up with the dealership. They are going to look into it.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #48
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugoflip View Post
This is with a 5spd manual. A 6th OD gear would be useful on the hwy...
5spd manual here too. Hit 41.0 mpgs on the way to fetch my niece from a college history club outing this evening. That was after a long highway stretch at the point where I realized I had missed my turn and had to go back. I had nailed the cruise on 55 miles per hour.

I agree about the desirability of a 6th gear for freeway driving. It makes no sense that Ford omitted that. Chevy has a 6th gear on their Cruze. Why not on the Focus?

FWIW, I'm awfully happy at that 41.0. My niece makes that college run twice per week. I'll save $80/month just on her fuel alone.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #49
Infant Annihilator
Banned

Fan#: 106053
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Infant Annihilator Good Standing Member
I got the ti with 18" rims and i drive the snot out of my car tbh, shifts between 3-4k, cruise highway around 3k and im sittin at 8L/100km,.. if i granny it ive had the thing readin as low as 6.. i wouldnt say im city or highway, a mix of both def. if straight highway on cruise at 100km/h ive seen readins down at 4 cruisin behind a semi.. i dunno how u gettin 11l/100 cause thats insane.. i cant imagine drivin this car any harder than i do now

u got air in your tires?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #50
dasilvarsa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89551
What I Drive: 2012 2.0 Gdi Trend

FF Reputation: 2 dasilvarsa Good Standing Member
10/11 L /100 Km in stop start city driving is normal.
Highway driving 6 / 6.7 L /100 Km
Average about 7.6 l/100Km
Best Tank Ever 5.4 L/100 Km

It all depends on conditions, a Wind will make you get 1 l/100 km worse.
Intense heat also drops mileage on fuel due to aircon compressor and bad fuel ignition under hot conditions.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dasilvarsa/focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks