noisy headliner - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
noisy headliner

i know there have been previous postings complaining about noise from the headliner, however, no one seems to have presented a solution 'cept for having the dealer re-glue the damn thing... That brought about other issues like the dealer not re-attaching the headliner properly or glue marks, etc.

I've had my focus for a year and a half and never had headliner noise issues til two weeks ago.. Maybe it took that long for the glue to 'unstick'. I don't know. It didn't rattle or make any big noise but sort of hummed or buzzed over certain surfaces (on a smooth road it made no noise) Of course, the buzzing was mostly on the driver's side right over my ear... Grrrr! Very annoying!

In any case i was loathe to bring it to the dealer, not have the car for a day or more and risk having my pristine headliner messed up. So, i took matters into my own hands.

I got some 1/2 inch foam weatherstripping from the hardware store, the kind that's sticky on one side and has the peel off tape on the other side. i cut 4 or 5 pieces , ea. about 3 inches long, and inserted them between the black plastic surround that the headliner is attached to (I have a sunroof so it's easy to get to ) and the headliner itself. I placed one on each side and two in front and no more noises.... zero.

Those having these issues may wish to try this.. It took all of 5 minutes and worked very well. And... if, for some reason, it doesn't work for u, needle nosed pliers can be used to remove the weatherstripping....Also,, it doesn't interfere at all w/ either the operation of the sunroof glass nor the sliding shade. good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
I have the same issue, rattling head liner. Like you, another owner used a type of foam, wedging it between the plastic bracing just at the back of the moon roof. Seems to have stopped the noise 100% without dealer repairs.

Looks like I have to try this today. Since I have to make a trip to Home Depot, I need to buy some foam and fix this.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
...I got some 1/2 inch foam weatherstripping from the hardware store, the kind that's sticky on one side and has the peel off tape on the other side. i cut 4 or 5 pieces , ea. about 3 inches long, and inserted them between the black plastic surround that the headliner is attached to (I have a sunroof so it's easy to get to ) and the headliner itself. I placed one on each side and two in front and no more noises.... zero.

Those having these issues may wish to try this.. It took all of 5 minutes and worked very well. And... if, for some reason, it doesn't work for u, needle nosed pliers can be used to remove the weatherstripping....Also,, it doesn't interfere at all w/ either the operation of the sunroof glass nor the sliding shade. good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
I have the same issue, rattling head liner. Like you, another owner used a type of foam, wedging it between the plastic bracing just at the back of the moon roof. Seems to have stopped the noise 100% without dealer repairs.

Looks like I have to try this today. Since I have to make a trip to Home Depot, I need to buy some foam and fix this.
Hi cobie56 and UnleashedBeast,

I'm glad to hear that you're both rattle-free. Even though you both DIY-ed it this time, feel free to contact me if you ever want to get the dealer involved in your vehicle repairs. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Mine started rattling on the weekend. It seems to at the front edge. If I press on the headliner at the front edge, it goes away.
One more reason to expedite the process to rid myself of this car. The issues just keep piling up.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,107, Level 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Mine started rattling on the weekend. It seems to at the front edge. If I press on the headliner at the front edge, it goes away.
One more reason to expedite the process to rid myself of this car. The issues just keep piling up.
Hi hand-filer,

I'm happy to extend you the same courtesy that I have to other people on the thread. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll be happy to get your case escalated to your region's customer service manager.

Thanks!
Crystal

Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi hand-filer,

I'm happy to extend you the same courtesy that I have to other people on the thread. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll be happy to get your case escalated to your region's customer service manager.

Thanks!
Crystal
Thanks for the offer. I'll attempt a home brewed repair first. Trips to the dealership usually end up with the car having collateral damage.

PS. I'm not making any of this up. Between the ever multiplying issues and the poor workmanship from the dealer; my domestic vehicle purchase experiment is over.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
jenetherton
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88096
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jenetherton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi cobie56 and UnleashedBeast,

I'm glad to hear that you're both rattle-free. Even though you both DIY-ed it this time, feel free to contact me if you ever want to get the dealer involved in your vehicle repairs. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!
Crystal
Crystal - I will say I don't want to do a DIY $25k is too much to spend to have to put 'bailing wire and duct tape' on it to fix it. I too have this issue as well as vibration coming from the speakers. I've taken the car in a few times for various issues and have stated these as issues as well. The last time I had it in, they stated this was normal. I had a 99 mercedes with 205k miles on it and it was quieter than my FF with 25k miles on it. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,107, Level 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Thanks for the offer. I'll attempt a home brewed repair first. Trips to the dealership usually end up with the car having collateral damage.

PS. I'm not making any of this up. Between the ever multiplying issues and the poor workmanship from the dealer; my domestic vehicle purchase experiment is over.
No problem. Keep me in the loop; I'm always happy to jump in and assist. Additionally, I'm happy to record any feedback you have about your dealer. Just send me a PM when you're ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenetherton View Post
Crystal - I will say I don't want to do a DIY $25k is too much to spend to have to put 'bailing wire and duct tape' on it to fix it. I too have this issue as well as vibration coming from the speakers. I've taken the car in a few times for various issues and have stated these as issues as well. The last time I had it in, they stated this was normal. I had a 99 mercedes with 205k miles on it and it was quieter than my FF with 25k miles on it. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.
Hi jenetherton,

Please send me a PM with some specifics (VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, your daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. I want to make sure these concerns are resolved.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Crystal

Bookmarks & Social Networks