What Happened?? Replaced clutch master cylinder, now I have no torque! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Mr & Mrs Roush
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88346
What I Drive: Focus Roush ZX3, Red 2005

FF Reputation: 1 Mr & Mrs Roush Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What Happened?? Replaced clutch master cylinder, now I have no torque!

I have a 2004 Focus Roush Edition. The clutch was leaking fluid and shifting was hard, so I took it to the dealer to get the cylinder replaced. They replaced it and gave it back, now the car drives completely differently! They claim they don't know how to fix it to like it was. It used to drive like a race car, now its so slow! It lost all its torque and clutch sensitivity. Anyone know what the problem could be and what I should do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Smell anything burning- like hot brakes maybe?

It sounds to me like the slave cylinder locked up. Either way, since you took it to a dealer, you should have a 1 year warranty on the repair. I am surprised and amazed that they let you drive the car out, and expected you to believe that they can't fix it correctly. We have a Ford Customer Service representative from corporate on here. If you have the receipt from your dealer that should detail any warranty. Even if there is no warranty (and there should be), the customer should be satisfied with the repair. I'd locate a scanner, scan the receipt, and then contact "Ford Customer Service" on this site. I believe the girl's name is Crystal. She should be able to take your information, talk to the regional CSM, and that way you can take your car to another dealer under the same warranty if necessary. I'd try taking it back to the first dealer, and talk to a different service manager if possible.

I'm just guessing from an internet description without any diagnosis, so I'm worthless. I could be a stuck brake, damaged clutch, bad master cylinder, or stuck slave cylinder. NO matter what it is, the dealer should make the car drive like it did before the master cylinder went out.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Since you're new and maybe not familiar with forums and PMs, I will contact FCS for you, and she should show up in this thread in a day or so. Meanwhile, call that dealer back, and scan the receipt so she can have whatever information she needs from the receipt.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Roush View Post
I have a 2004 Focus Roush Edition. The clutch was leaking fluid and shifting was hard, so I took it to the dealer to get the cylinder replaced. They replaced it and gave it back, now the car drives completely differently! They claim they don't know how to fix it to like it was. It used to drive like a race car, now its so slow! It lost all its torque and clutch sensitivity. Anyone know what the problem could be and what I should do?
Hi there,

My first recommendation is to get the Ford Customer Relationship Center a call. They can reach out to your dealership and ensure your concerns are getting resolved. You can reach them at 1-800-392-3673.

Also, keep in mind that you're welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. I've seen instances where people have had success going this route.

As whynotthinkwhynot states, I can be reached via PM if you need any additional help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Since you're new and maybe not familiar with forums and PMs, I will contact FCS for you, and she should show up in this thread in a day or so. Meanwhile, call that dealer back, and scan the receipt so she can have whatever information she needs from the receipt.
Thanks for the heads up, whynotthinkwhynot!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
My Feeling is they reflashed the car to stock. That is, the programming in the ECU from Roush is no longer there and you're driving a stock programmed car.

I've been hearing rumors that this is becoming more common, in part because of emissions updates available. Thing is I don't hear that Ford is asking customers if they can reflash the cars. They just do it.

Now I may not be right, I sure hope I'm not, but it's something to call and ask about.
Anything mechanical just doesn't seem to fit.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Mr & Mrs Roush
Focus Rookie

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I am headed back to the dealership again today, hopefully to speak with another service rep. If that doesn't work out I will be giving the Ford Customer Service a call. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

I wonder if Roush would help, or if you'd need an SCT or something. IDK why they would be re-flashing anyway for something that was completely a mechanical job. There's not even a need for disconnecting the battery with this particular job.

Quote:
Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Mr & Mrs Roush
Focus Rookie

Here's the update: I took it back and they still cannot tell me why its different from before, but are saying that I need a new clutch because its old and worn out. Which it may be since it is the original, but I still don't understand why it would be working perfectly fine the day I brought it in, and then all the sudden after they "fix" my leak the clutch wear is noticeable... I believe they did something wrong and they aren't taking responsibility and can't even tell me why the clutch feels like its slipping now, but didn't before the cylinder replacement. They can't even really guarantee me that it will drive like before after I do get the clutch replaced. Anyone have anymore knowledge about clutches? Or what to do next?

I am going to get a second opinion next, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help so far whynotthinkwhynot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks