New to the Focus/ 2.3 Duratec..time for a build? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
86fiveoh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105973
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX5 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 86fiveoh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New to the Focus/ 2.3 Duratec..time for a build?

Alright so I'm new to the Focus and 2.3 scene, I've had the car for just shy of 2 years (2004 zx5 w/ 2.3 duratec) and i wanna do some mods to make it a little more fun. I'm not looking for an all out race car, Ive already got a car thats fast, this is my DD and i just want a little more fun.

basic goal would be ~ 170-200hp range. I already ordered a bunch of suspension parts, but as far as what makes power on these engines, i have no idea. i know the basics, cai, tune, etc. im looking to see things like is a header actually gonna give any noticeable gains? or is it not worth the $/ time installing etc

so far all that is done to the car is a tune, and a few appearance mods, and then my suspension parts on order.

finally, if at all possible, id like to stay NA and try and keep my fuel economy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
sjdwales
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
to get in that power range u need intake, stage 2 cams, exhaust manifold, exhaust and tune.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
170-200 is a pretty wide range for a car that starts out at about 140. I would agree with sjdwales, though. Intake, exhaust, and tune will get you a to about 150 at the wheels. Header and cams should be enough to push you beyond that.

Boost is the quicker and easier way to go, but I personally would prefer the instant power from an NA build.

Now that I look at that, I already have the intake, header, and tune. All I need now are cams and an exhaust, hmm...

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
86fiveoh
Focus Rookie

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of, not sure how the cams/intake manifold will effect drive ability/gas mileage.

I'm not too sure what kinda power is needed to run x.xx in the 1/4 but i figure anywhere in that range should make the car a little more fun so that was my shotgun guestimate for where i wanted to be
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

You probably don't have to touch the intake manifold unless you're going boosted or a serious high compression build.

1/4 times shouldn't ever be a goal for a DD Focus. It's a small, light FWD car that with the right mods can be a great car to take out to a windy road on the weekend.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
86fiveoh
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
You probably don't have to touch the intake manifold unless you're going boosted or a serious high compression build.

1/4 times shouldn't ever be a goal for a DD Focus. It's a small, light FWD car that with the right mods can be a great car to take out to a windy road on the weekend.

I understand that, just dynos and 1/4 mile are the easiest way to measure an increase in performance. I just purchased a mess of suspension parts for the car as well, and i dont plan on ever taking it to the 1/4, thats what my other car is for.

how do the cams effect the driveability and fuel economy on the 2.3? would it be better to do a stage 1?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
sjdwales
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
my buddy drove his car everyday, think he was getting same/better gas mileage than me when he wasn't on it. on my 2.3/st i have intake and exhaust. plan on getting it tuned within next couple months. then in spring do most likely stag 1 cams or stage 2 without change springs/retainers.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
I already have the intake, header, and tune.
How does your car fare when you get it smogged. Do you run a CARB CAI or do they not say anything? And what about the header, bc I know there not CARB legal, but I've been thinking about getting one after I get my exhaust.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewts86 View Post
How does your car fare when you get it smogged. Do you run a CARB CAI or do they not say anything? And what about the header, bc I know there not CARB legal, but I've been thinking about getting one after I get my exhaust.
I don't actually have the header on my car, because I don't have an A/F gauge. I have what I thought was a CARB legal intake (Cosworth), but it turns out the CARB sticker only applies to 2005. I had to find a friend with a Focus and swap his stock intake into my car for the test. I'm looking to find a shop that maybe doesn't ask any many questions next time.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Won't matter for me soon enough. I'm hightailing it to Colorado this time next year with work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks