Hood alignment and body fit - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
WAZUP
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87867
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport MT

FF Reputation: 1 WAZUP Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hood alignment and body fit

Is anyone else's hood 1/8 inch lower on passenger side than drivers side? It is specifically noticeable at the headlight, where edge of headlight is 1/8 inch higher than top of hood. On drivers side, hood lines up nice with headlight.

I also have an alignment issue with the passenger side doors. The top front corner of the rear door is not flush with front door, and sticks out slightly.

To date, I have held off asking dealer to correct, as I have been concerned that adjustment could cause issues beyond aesthetics.

I would be interested in learning if anyone has similar "fit" issues, and if you had them corrected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If it was misbuilt be ready to fight them or just prepare to have to pay to have a body shop fix it.

I had a similar issue, but the hood was perfectly aligned to the fenders (at least visually), however the left front head lamp was too far rearward and down in vehicle to the point where it had been rubbing on the hood. I also have the more common issue where the rear tail lamp rubs through the paint on that same side. However because they claimed to see a tiny mark on the tail lamp they decided to tell ford that it had been in a collision. WTF is wrong with these people. They basically told me through ford that I could contact my insurance about it and told me to piss off otherwise. What would have damaged the lamp but not damaged the bumper cover or the underlying structure? Nothing at all, but they did will me to have an accident, and unfortunately it happened to the other side of the vehicle, and then when it was fixed it was hit again by sheet metal debris on the freeway and now I'm screwed over again.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
The rubber stops at the front of the hood screw in and out for minor height adjustments. The hood shouldn't be too bad from the description. (In fact, it may just be DIY, though it might be nice for Ford to get the feedback that there are fit and alignment issues that they need to pay more attention to.)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZUP View Post
Is anyone else's hood 1/8 inch lower on passenger side than drivers side? It is specifically noticeable at the headlight, where edge of headlight is 1/8 inch higher than top of hood. On drivers side, hood lines up nice with headlight.

I also have an alignment issue with the passenger side doors. The top front corner of the rear door is not flush with front door, and sticks out slightly.

To date, I have held off asking dealer to correct, as I have been concerned that adjustment could cause issues beyond aesthetics.

I would be interested in learning if anyone has similar "fit" issues, and if you had them corrected.
My rear door stick out oddly, I never got around to bring it to the dealer. Its like the hinge is set oddly, it's not flush with the front door.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If it was misbuilt be ready to fight them or just prepare to have to pay to have a body shop fix it.

I had a similar issue, but the hood was perfectly aligned to the fenders (at least visually), however the left front head lamp was too far rearward and down in vehicle to the point where it had been rubbing on the hood. I also have the more common issue where the rear tail lamp rubs through the paint on that same side. However because they claimed to see a tiny mark on the tail lamp they decided to tell ford that it had been in a collision. WTF is wrong with these people. They basically told me through ford that I could contact my insurance about it and told me to piss off otherwise. What would have damaged the lamp but not damaged the bumper cover or the underlying structure? Nothing at all, but they did will me to have an accident, and unfortunately it happened to the other side of the vehicle, and then when it was fixed it was hit again by sheet metal debris on the freeway and now I'm screwed over again.
I have the rear tail light fitting problem as well just on the rear drivers side on the upper part of the tail light by the hatch door its actually indented the quarter panel by the light and pushed through the paint. I havnt brought it to the attention of ford yet but i will ant 8000 km
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Cfcastro
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102223
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium/Platinum 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Cfcastro Good Standing Member
Quote:

I notice the exact same thing. Haven't had anything done to it. I have the titanium 5 door.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:

All these are easy DIY fixes but, if you do want to do it yourself, take it to the dealer who will likely assign the job to the body shop.

I always adjust alignment and fit myself. I've been doing it on my old muscle cars for years so it is normal for me to be very critical of alignment, fit and finish on my newer cars.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
The rubber stops at the front of the hood screw in and out for minor height adjustments. The hood shouldn't be too bad from the description. (In fact, it may just be DIY, though it might be nice for Ford to get the feedback that there are fit and alignment issues that they need to pay more attention to.)
Mine was also way off when I bought it. Using the stops I was able to get it fairly close to perfect, but the stops on one side are maxed all of the way out now (a lot of threads exposed), and they don't seem very stable that in that position.

No ill effects yet, just not to my liking.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
sidepipe79
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104919
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch, Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 sidepipe79 Good Standing Member
After looking at my hood I do not think my stops are adjustable. They are just a plastic post with a rubber top on it. I spent 15 minute last night trying to figure out how to adjust my hood so it is no rubbing on my headlight.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepipe79 View Post
After looking at my hood I do not think my stops are adjustable. They are just a plastic post with a rubber top on it. I spent 15 minute last night trying to figure out how to adjust my hood so it is no rubbing on my headlight.
There should be threads around the sides of the post. If your hood is not level or sits too low, try adjusting the supports up by turning them counterclockwise.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->