Brand New 2013 Focus, Issue? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
90 percent of the complaints on this transmission are from people that don't understand WHAT a manual transmission is or HOW it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull1tt View Post
Hey guys,
I just recently purchased a brand new 2013 Focus SE automatic transmission and after driving it for a while, I began to notice that on acceleration from around 1-25mph the car seems to miss or stutter like a manual transmission car that hasn't been given enough gas. The problem occurs no matter how much or little I press down on the throttle and it is starting to worry me because I have bought multiple Ford vehicles over the past ten years and none of them have had any issues like this. I took it to the dealer and they said, of course that they couldn't find anything wrong with it...
Hi Bull1tt,

I want to jump in here and get your case escalated to your region's customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information in the right hands and ensure you're contacted soon. Your CSM will collaborate with your dealer to address your concerns.

Questions? Feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
...we have a Ford Customer Service representative on this site who can help make dealers cooperate if they are being uncooperative...
Thanks for the shout-out, whynotthinkwhynot. I'm always happy to step in and see how I can help folks out.

Have a great day, everyone!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
rjcalif
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105991
What I Drive: '10 SES Silver, '13 Titanium Wht

FF Reputation: 1 rjcalif Good Standing Member
Thanks for this informative post.

I just bought my youngest son a 2013 Titanium with the selectshift tans and he was complaining that if he was in Drive, going under 25mph, let of the throttle, then back on it would make a grinding noise. If he was more aggressive on the throttle then no noise. We tried running in Sport mode and no trans/clutch noise no matter how he drove or accelerated.

My summation is that Drive should really be Economy mode and only suitable for highway or freeway driving.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalif View Post
Thanks for this informative post.

I just bought my youngest son a 2013 Titanium with the selectshift tans and he was complaining that if he was in Drive, going under 25mph, let of the throttle, then back on it would make a grinding noise. If he was more aggressive on the throttle then no noise. We tried running in Sport mode and no trans/clutch noise no matter how he drove or accelerated.

My summation is that Drive should really be Economy mode and only suitable for highway or freeway driving.
While I experienced some stutter when applying light throttle at low speed while in Drive, there was never any accompanying noise or grinding. That might worry me. I prefer driving about town in Sport mode because it can be smoother while accelerating (though less so decelerating) and seems to stay in the power band a bit better, but I have not experienced anything that I thought was unsafe or unusable about using "drive". If I was getting some kind of noise or grinding, I would head back to the dealer.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnow View Post
have had some with bad clutchs and leaks at bellhousing, but as a tech, 90 percent of complaints are normal and we wont get paid to look at all of these cars.... you see why the techs get fed up with it.
This is not the customer's problem. It's Ford's problem.

The car is pure and simple marketed as an AUTOMATIC.

Customers don't care what the payment arrangements are between you and Ford. They just know their car is not acting normally and want resolution or more information to why it's acting that way.

I work at a dealer and you should know better as a Senior Tech to not relay and place your dealerships/Ford's internal problems and vehicle engineering issues onto the customer.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
I take his point to mean that this type of system has its quirks that cant be eliminated. It woukd be like a Nissan customer demanding that Nissan eliminate the droning noise from the CVT. It seems that DCTs are inherently less smooth at low speed. That was why traditional automatics had the torque converter in the first place - to smooth it all out. But that came at the expense of lower efficiency. As they say, all engineering is a compromise.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
All this just makes me happy I have the true manual tranny and no matter what is said the DCT is still an automatic if the driver isn't deciding whast gear it goes in all the time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks