Anybody done an E85 conversion? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
turbosvtfocus04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100806
What I Drive: 2004 black svt

FF Reputation: 1 turbosvtfocus04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The car would run slower if its not tune when running meth injection(I know I hooked it up to my srt4 and ran slower)....but hey at least my iat will be lower. Yay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #32
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosvtfocus04 View Post
Pretty much. It's sad that I can make more power using pump and meth than e85. But also methanol is better than ethanol.
This might be true on your platform, but not on many others. What if your meth system quits or runs out in the middle of WOT. Boom.

I ran meth in the SS and it worked great, but it is a cruiser/race car, not a daily driver. Since then, injector technology and tuning have come a long way and it's possible to run E85 and make more power with less complication or hassle. The odds of two systems failing is higher than one.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
gimmemoreboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83716
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 gimmemoreboost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Tom let's not start the whole tuning for meth argument again. Everyone knows you have to tune for it.

And yes, mr camaro/srt4/e85 badass, the odds of a pump failing? Very slim unless you something up. Pump and meth will still make more power than running e85.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
turbosvtfocus04
Focus Enthusiast

If you run out of meth it's bc your an idiot. It's not hard to keep full. It's like running out of gas.
It takes more fuel to run e85.
I DD my srt4 on pump and meth never had an never. Still ran stock injectors and meth made 410whp
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #35
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoreboost View Post
Pump and meth will still make more power than running e85.
This has been proven false on the SRT-4 platform. Now if you are brave enough to run stock injectors and use the meth to get you the fuel you need. I understand why you would think that.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
turbosvtfocus04
Focus Enthusiast

It is not false on the srt4 platform. I ran more timing then guys who run e85. I ran a 50/50 mix. Now I will be using 100% meth instead of mixing it.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Its my opinion but tuning for water meth injection is a bad idea , people run out of fuel every day , some for being a moron , some for thinking they can go another mile and make it to the station , some for the gauge stops working etc

Meth is no exception
people run out of meth
switches fail
wires brake
connections come loose
lines get holes rubbed in them
tanks get holes and old and leak
jets get stopped up
I could go on and on but the result is BOOM lost engine , because it hasnt happened yet doesnt mean it wont or doesnt happen every day

If your tuner does his job properly and you knock sensor isnt turned off (99% of all tunes turn of the knock sensor because there very hard to tune and get working properly ) then when you spray the water meth and the ecu / knock sensor sees there is no knock it will add extra timing if and only if the engine needs it all by it self till it sees knock then maintain the safe knock the engine sees it needs

This is yet another reason to NOT tune for meth if tuned right the Focus doesnt need the timing to be added where it HAS to be used it can be added where it needs to be used but only if the knock sensor is on and adjusted to work properly

Those that want to run water meth please do so , all I can do is post what I have seen tuning cars for a long time and a lot of them , you have to decide after that

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #38
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Tom let's not start the whole tuning for meth argument again. Everyone knows you have to tune for it. .
I dont ?

Quote:
And yes, mr camaro/srt4/e85 badass, the odds of a pump failing? Very slim unless you something up. Pump and meth will still make more power than running e85.
The odds of some form of system failure is very good as you have a lot of things that could at any time fail , it happens all the time with guys that have run meth problem free for a long time , thinking it couldnt happen you you is a little silly

Actually the effects of e85 and water meth are very very close , they both get there said performance from the cooling effect of the charge , people think the e85 gains come from the octane and water meth from the cooling and that couldnt be more wrong , they both get the claimed gains from the cooling effect of the charge

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #39
gimmemoreboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83716
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 gimmemoreboost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Sure the systems fail when people are stupid and don't check their system, or, as you said, if they're stupid and they run out.

If you keep an eye on the system and make 100% sure you set it up properly, the odds of it failing and blowing your motor are slim.

Tuning on the bleeding edge with meth is a little crazy, unless you have the funds to fix the motor or a spare motor somewhere. But that's how tuning is regardless of meth. You tune for the bleeding edge and you run the risk of something failing and blowing the motor up. That's performance. You risk shit everyday.

As I said last time we had this discussion, chris johnson of sct told me that he tunes for meth injection. One of the most highly regarded tuners in the country, if not the world. So, you do what you want, but tuning for meth is necessary or there is no point in running it at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
turbosvtfocus04
Focus Enthusiast

If you don't tune for meth or not even adjust the air/fuel, then there's no point of running it. It would also go for the same as e85, you can't just hook it up and run it, you have to tune the car so you can run it.
Lol I should let Tom tune my focus on meth and see how slow it is. Haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks